Oh no, I'm a hop-head!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casper0074

Reaction score
I just transferred my first IPA into secondary today after 10 days in primary and chugged the hydrometer sample. It is an estimated 68 IBU using simcoe for bittering and Amarillo Gold for finishing and I was tempted to retest the gravity so I could taste some more :D

I planned to dry hop another oz of Amarillo for a few days in secondary but I'm not sure now? Does the bitterness/aroma mellow over time? If so, I may dry hop as planned. If not, I think I'll pass because I really like it now.

I think hops may be addictive!

The hops will mellow. I made a batch with 3 high IBU hops a couple months ago. After two weeks in the bottle, it was so bitter I could hardly drink it. After 4 weeks it was great. After 6 weeks it was gone. Made another batch last night but with Simcoe & Cascade & dry hopped with Cascade. Won't be as bitter.

I've just done one with around half a pound of leaf hops and it should be close on 70 IBUs.

I think I'm just about to find out if I'm a hop head.:mug:

Dry hopping will not impart much bittering. It is more for a nice aroma. Why stop now? The aroma will mellow some......and can you have too much aroma?

cheezydemon said:
Dry hopping will not impart much bittering. It is more for a nice aroma. Why stop now? The aroma will mellow some......and can you have too much aroma?

+1 on the dry hopping. If you make an IPA it needs big flavor ie:stone brewing IPA. Go put some dry hops in there Orfy. You'll love it because it is flavor not bitterness.

There's nothing wrong with being a hop head.

The first step is admitting it. :rockin:

ohiobrewtus said:
There's nothing wrong with being a hop head.

The first step is admitting it. :rockin:

In my youth I was a pot head, at least this bitter green budding plant is legal! :D

BTW, you all twisted my arm... I'll dry hop it :mug:

My vote is for dry-hopping a second time. The first IPA I made, I noticed how awesome the hoppy nose was at about 4 weeks, and then at 8 weeks how it wasn't there as much :(. I tripled the dry-hop amount the next time.

Sea said:
Dry-hop, but be careful. Being a hophead is a real addiction. Pretty soon you'll just want more and more and more.......

Then you'll make one of those "Dream pillows" Papazian talks about in the Homebrewer's Companion...

Just don't try to smoke them. Doesn't turn out so well I've heard.

From what I've heard, the smoke from burning hop plants smells a lot like that other green sticky bud..

From a friend of mine, that is. Yea.

Definitely dry hop it well. It adds no bitterness but does tie the flavors and aromas together. I just judged a bunch of American IPAs this weekend, and only one was decently dry hopped. It stood out. The others fell somewhat flat.

TL

Back