Oh boy, my grain bag is moldy. O_O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auspice

Reaction score
Is it safe to run my grain bag and hop socks through the washer and dryer or something to clean them off or is there something else I can use and just toss these? Sadly, there isn't a homebrew shop within an hour of where I live so I can't just run to a LHBS and pick up new ones.

I'm assuming I'm just going to want to pitch them but I don't know what to use instead. lol

I've got them in my sink with some bleach; should I do anything else or just let them soak for a while? Will the stains come out?

Fair enough, I'll probably just make a trip downtown and pick up a few just to save me the headache. For future reference, how should I clean the grain bags when I'm done and where should I store them so they don't get moldy?

i can never seem to get all the grain out when wet but once they dry, the grain should come out very easily...

Mold needs moisture. My hop & grain bag cleaning is rinse, dry, shake, throw in laundry, and drip dry.

Is it safe to run my grain bag and hop socks through the washer and dryer or something to clean them off or is there something else I can use and just toss these?

If they are cotton and not synthetic, you could pressure cook them and be assured of their sterility. I don't know about flavor contributions made by the (now dead) mold.

This is a reminder to onlookers to always rinse and airdry bags/socks after use.

I run mine through the laundry. Doesn't get out all of the stains, but I figure whatever is still there isn't moving.

Back