OG vs Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
My OG says 1.044 @ 76degrees (nice light blonde ale, ~4%abv, 25ibu)

I tend to stick with Papazian's book based on temp adjusting OG...

A friend of mine does not believe what Charlie wrote in the book.

What do you think?

What do I think about what? Adjusting OG for the calibration temp? Yes. An OG at 76 degrees is a little low, and you should add about .002 points if the hydrometer you have is calibrated for 60 degrees. Some are calibrated for 68 degrees, though, in which case .001 should be added.

Either way, for me, it's more of a "doesn't matter" difference in measurement but I always cool my sample to 70 degrees or less, so it's pretty close.

I thought it was every 2 degrees above 60 was worth .001 on the hydrometer. Do I remember this wrong? Am I drunk (very possible)? Are the Bears taking care of the Lions right now (yes)?

Or something like this? I am a little too distracted by the game to pinpoint the page in Charlie's book referencing this... The hydrometer sample sure does look nice and blonde and sure does taste nice and clean though- and the Bears just recovered a fumble to giggity giggity goo.....:ban:

There are calculators online, and you should have received a little table with your hydrometer. I'd trust the table from the manufacturer. But Yooper is right, the two hydros I've owned have come with that correction factor.

Back