OG too low, and flavor questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurean

Reaction score
I'm making a BB RIS, this is my third batch, ever. I am thinkig of adding vanilla beans and espresso to the secondary (I already posted about this today if you're interested to see how I intend to go about this).

Anyway, The recipie called for OG 1.078-1.082. I accidentally got down to 1.066. I'm guessing it will come out weaker (both in flavor and in ABV) than it would have, is this right? A lot? A little?

So, now I'm not sure if I should go ahead with original plan to add the vanilla or espresso if the flavor of the beer is diminished, or don't go with the plan to add the vanilla and espresso so the added flavors don't overpower it.

Comments? Other than telling me I'm a D-Arse, or RDWAHAHB. I'm relaxed, not worrying, just want to learn from those with experience.

Thanks!!

--T

My vote would be to roll with it...since your OG is less then intended, only think about maybe scaling down the vanilla and coffee a bit. Waiting for your other thread about adding those....for coffee, I would recommend adding coffee grounds to secondary (I would also add vanilla beans then). You can rubber band a filter around the tube to your autosyphon to filter out any rough stuff to get into bottling bucket/keg.

Sorry. Here it is:
I am going to cut the beans, and scrape out the gunk, then quarter the shells. My LHBS told me to place them in a grain bag, and rack on top. The last 3 days in the 2nd, I will put 3 oz of espresso beans in a grain bag and drop it in, also as per my LHBS.

I am also thinking of soaking the vanilla beans in Jameson Irish Whiskey. I only want a slight whiskey note. so maybe add 1/8c whiskey

Yeah. 2.5g. When I added the water, it was below the "start beer" on my hydrometer, like 1.070. I added water because it was just under 5gal. That was my mistake. I went to 5.5gal which brought it to 1.066. Should have stopped and thought that adding water would drop my SG. Embarassing (because I'm a scientist!). I wanted to get to 5.5gal because my others at 5gal have dropped, and I wanted to have as little head space as possible in my secondary. Live and learn. Hope it comes out ok.

I am also thinking of soaking the vanilla beans in Jameson Irish Whiskey. I only want a slight whiskey note. so maybe add 1/8c whiskey

So you're still thinking of soaking that for at least a week? Real vanilla beans are pretty potent: I'm not sure how much they'll pick up of the whiskey....but hey, it doesn't hurt to experiment! My only concern is that you might be biting off more then you can chew: if it were me, I'd try the coffee and vanilla for this batch.....see how it goes....then try some whiskey.

I just scraped a bean and boiled it with maple syrup in water for the priming sugar for a porter i just did and i would have to say it was incredible. Maybe im a sucker for vanilla though.

Back