OG significantly low for Blue Moon clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_Brew_Dude

Reaction score
Hello everyone - yesterday I attempted to make the Blue Moon clone kit from AHS and it looks like my OG reading is significantly low. The recipe calls for an expected OG of 1.048, however mine was closer to 1.038. This is only my 4th batch of beer I've tried to make, but this is the first time I was off by more than 0.002 from the recipe. How much will this affect the beer?

During the process of siphoning into the fermenter, I was having trouble sucking up all the wort - the Blue moon "flavoring" kept clogging the siphon, and I probably ended up leaving too much wort in the pot. Afterwards, I realized I should've used the funnel & strainer that I have... damn! So I'm guessing that's what caused the low OG reading. I'm sure I'm not the first one to run into this problem - how have other batches turned out? Thanks for the advice!
:mug:

was it a mini mash or the Extract kit?

I have made this recipe from AHS but all grain.

1.038 is not too bad... and there is a chance if you did not fully mix or whatever your wort with water ... you reading might be a little off.

It is going to still be beer... but not as high in alchol as you might have wanted.

i think you will be happy and surprised.

try possibly punching in the numbers into BeerSmith or a similar program.

I bought the New Belgium Wheat from AHS, and their OG stated 1.047-048 if i remember correctly. I came up with 1.041.

After using punching in the recipe from AHS into BeerSmith, i came up with an OG that was supposed to be 1.043, so I was a bit closer than I originally thought I was.

tgrier said:
was it a mini mash or the Extract kit?

It was the extract kit. I think I also lost more to evaporation than usual, so the 1/2-3/4 gallon of wort that was left in the pot was extra concentrated... so I had to compensate with more water poured into the fermenter which further watered it down.

I guess I won't worry about it too much. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back