OG on my first all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
After 2 years of making extract beer, I made my first batch of AG this weekend. I hit the target on the OG but ended up with only 4.5 gallons of wort. I could have added water but was concerned about decreasing the gravity too much. The beer was a kit from Northern Brewer. Belgian Saison. What went wrong?

Sounds like your effeciency was a little low, if you would have had a little more run off from sparging you could have boiled it off and that might have helped, do you have beesmith? If so you can check what gravity you will need before you boil and that will help you. I wouldnt worry too much, just take good notes and you will get it down.

After 2 years of making extract beer, I made my first batch of AG this weekend. I hit the target on the OG but ended up with only 4.5 gallons of wort. I could have added water but was concerned about decreasing the gravity too much. The beer was a kit from Northern Brewer. Belgian Saison. What went wrong?
Can you elaborate on your process? Did you hold the temperature steady for the whole mash? How much water did you use for the strike and sparge?

Well I don't have BeerSmith but I use an app on my smartphone to help me with calculations.
I was able to hold the temp for an hour at 152 degrees. I used 3 Gallons of strike water and had to add 2 quarts of boiling water to get the temp for the mash right. I then added a gallon of boiling water to mashout which took the temp up to about 168 degrees. I then sparged with 3 gallons of water at 168 degrees. I ended up with 6 gallons of wort that I boiled for an hour.
Should I have used more Water for the sparge?

Yes, I think you started with a little less wort than you should have (I like to shoot for 6 1/2) and then boiled it a little too strongly so you boiled off more water than necessary. Try turning the heat down until you have a slow boil and see how that affects the quantity into the fermenter.

Well I don't have BeerSmith but I use an app on my smartphone to help me with calculations.
I was able to hold the temp for an hour at 152 degrees. I used 3 Gallons of strike water and had to add 2 quarts of boiling water to get the temp for the mash right. I then added a gallon of boiling water to mashout which took the temp up to about 168 degrees. I then sparged with 3 gallons of water at 168 degrees. I ended up with 6 gallons of wort that I boiled for an hour.
Should I have used more Water for the sparge?

Are you batch sparging or fly sparging? I would strongly suggest getting beersmith or a similar program, it works really well.

Yes, I think you started with a little less wort than you should have (I like to shoot for 6 1/2) and then boiled it a little too strongly so you boiled off more water than necessary. Try turning the heat down until you have a slow boil and see how that affects the quantity into the fermenter.

So I need to use more sparge water next time. I was just concerned about messing things up by using too much water for the sparge. I just got a refractometer so next time I can check to make sure I get all the fermentable sugars out of the grain next time. I guess I will have to brew again soon :ban:
I will have to get Beer Smith. I have been thinking about getting and it looks like it's time.
I think I lost a lot of water in the boil since it is winter in the midwest and it was only 29 degrees and the air is dry on brew day so I guess I have to account for that.

Yes, definitely more sparge water. I usually batch sparge until I get to the total pre-boil volume that I'm shooting for. Other people will sparge until the runnings drop down to a certain SG, which would be easier to gauge if you are fly sparging. The concern of sparging below 1.010 and pulling tannins into your wort, is probably more of a concern with small grain bills, where you are running a lot of water through a smaller amount of grain. There is so many different details to fuss about, that is one that I haven't been too concerned with.

Latest posts

Back