OG of CDA is way off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illa_kotilla

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I attempted to brew my first second Black IPA (CDA). The first version was pretty good, but I wanted a deeper, blacker color. So, I made some adjustments and came up with the recipe below.

I plugged everything into Hopville and the OG was suppose to be around 1.058. However, right before I pitched the yeast, I took a reading and it was 1.074. At the time I believed I didn't add enough water to bring the full batch to 5 gallons, went back and sure enough I missed two quarts, so I added that. It didn't change the reading hardly at all.

Now, 7 days later the activity in carboy has stopped, the yeast is at the bottom. I took a reading and it was at 1.024. I tried a sample and it was in the vain of a russian stout...btw it tasted great for an russian stout, but that's not what I was going for.

My question is, where did I mess up?

Black IPA recipe

2 pounds carafa II
8 oz chocolate malt
4 oz American Black Patent
7 pounds Light LME

- Steeped grains for 45 minutes @160-155
- Sparged with hot water
- Bring to boil, add the LME
- 1 oz centennial @ 60
- 1 oz centennial @ 5
- 2 oz cascade @ 1

-American Ale 1056 Wyeast

2.75 lbs of dark roasted malt sounds like a heck of a lot for a CDA, no wonder it tastes like a stout (I know 2 lbs of that is debittered but still).
Since this is an extract batch I assume a mixing issue with the measurments. Should be nearly impossible to miss your OG that much if volumes are correct.

Thanks. I'll let this guy sit in primary for another week or so and then bottle and age. Tasted great for a stout. :)

Back