OG isnt high enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I been brewing a few batches of all grain beer for a while now, and the problem is that I only got 1.05 og once. For some reason I just cant get a high enough OG. I just got a recirculation pump which helped me get the 1.05 OG. I batch sparge which i think can have a problem with that. If i recirculate the mash and when I batch sparge i just mix the **** out of it I thought I should be fine.

Heres my questions

1) can the amount of water you use for batch sparge effect your outcome on the OG?

2) How else can i get my OG up?

Hey guys,

I been brewing a few batches of all grain beer for a while now, and the problem is that I only got 1.05 og once. For some reason I just cant get a high enough OG. I just got a recirculation pump which helped me get the 1.05 OG. I batch sparge which i think can have a problem with that. If i recirculate the mash and when I batch sparge i just mix the **** out of it I thought I should be fine.

Heres my questions

1) can the amount of water you use for batch sparge effect your outcome on the OG?

2) How else can i get my OG up?

Efficiency is almost aways crush related, but recipe plays a huge part. Sparging does affect the OG, and is very important.

Can you post a sample recipe, along with your technique? We can pick it apart a bit and find out where you're losing gravity points.

Porter:

10lbs pale ale
.5lbs crystal 60
.5lbs black malt
.5lbs munich malt
.5lbs roasted malt

I have two keggles with a SS braid in each. I start the mash with 1.25 water to grin ratio. I let the pump recirculate for one hour.Then i drain it. Then in the other keggle i have about 5 gallons of water boiling for my sparge. I pump that through the mash tun and then pull it all out while mixing. Then I start my boil. Do you think i should mix it like crazy when i sparge?

What do you think?

Porter:

10lbs pale ale
.5lbs crystal 60
.5lbs black malt
.5lbs munich malt
.5lbs roasted malt

I have two keggles with a SS braid in each. I start the mash with 1.25 water to grin ratio. I let the pump recirculate for one hour.Then i drain it. Then in the other keggle i have about 5 gallons of water boiling for my sparge. I pump that through the mash tun and then pull it all out while mixing. Then I start my boil. Do you think i should mix it like crazy when i sparge?

What do you think?

I do not recirculate, just a simple vorlauf, and I get 65-71% efficiency. Sounds like a problem with the crush, you're description sounds like you're doing everything stellar.

Back