OG / FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardbeach

Reaction score
brewed my first batch this week-end. Although I didn't see much bubbling through the airlock, the room smelled like baking bread when I came down in the morning so something must be happening. My O.G. was 1.110 before pitching the yeast. I'm brewing a belgian dark ale. When I check the specific gravity after a week, where should it be? I'm planning on using a secondary fermenter for an additional 2 weeks.
howardbeach is online now Report Post

WOW that a very high OG!

I think the experts here are going to want to know your recipe and brewing process (full boil/partial biol)

With a high gravity beer you shouldn't be worried about what the SG of the beer will be in a week, let the yeast do there thing and start taking SG readings after two weeks in the primary, then after you get stable readings over three days (that will be your FG) you can rack it to the secondary for a couple of weeks or longer.

but I'm just a newb, so wait for further instructions from the experts....

Likewise, if it was an extract it may not have been distributed evenly--also the temp compensation.

Back