Official HBT Weight loss thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<Post whoring my update rather than updating original post that has been lost in the shuffle>

January 4th - 230lbs, 29%
February 18th - 222.5, 27%

The BF percentage really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. While the scale can give you a rough estimate, the best (economical) way is with calipers. Either way it's good to finally being able to see the "teens" in a while. I was stuck at ~230 for a good while, but the treadmill I bought has helped me keep on track...

Don't let this thread die. Keep motivated people...

3/1/2008 218.5lbs. Down 11.5lbs Since the New Year.

Damn, I forgot about this thread. I'm only down 6lbs, but after St Patrick's I plan to get serious. I want to lose about 10 more lbs by June...

247 lbs. (Down by 10)

No exercise of any real substance yet. However, SWMBO and I are carpooling to work 4 days a week, and so it is harder for me to go find fast food. I've been packing lunches, and eating small increments throughout the work day. Beef jerky, dried apricots, trail mix, etc. Trying to keep drinking water.... love soda so much though.

Soon will be lawn care season and I'll be back to mowing weekly. That will help me stretch my legs a bit. Need to relandscape most of the flower beds too, and install some edging and put landscape rock down.

MikeFlynn74 said:
245lbs @ 15% Starting today

Shooting for

225 @ 9% by May 1st

Will check in once a week

Stop bragging! :) I wish trying to go from 15% to 9% was my problem. Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick, you've got to be a monster, 245 and 15%.

I just recently started dieting. I was 277. The first week I lost 7#. 2 days short of 2 weeks and I'm at 264. Sensible eating, lots of water and 5 miles a day on the stationary bike seem to be working. I'm even drinking almost as much beer as usual.

I just found this thread but I started trying to trim up August last year with the intention of joining the Air Force. In August I weighted 320. As of this morning I'm down to 245. I've been working out 6 days a week for at least 2 hours, most of the time more. The first half hour is usually weight training to get some tone and the rest is spent either on an exercise bike or elliptical machine. For the past 2 weeks I've been capping it off with a 2 mile jog at about 6.5 or 7 mph. I haven't had fast food in 3 months and I've been drinking diet soda since I started.

I've been trying to kick it up the past couple weeks because I'm really close to getting through MEPS.

So yeah, 75 lbs and counting!

SayWhat1 said:
I just found this thread but I started trying to trim up August last year with the intention of joining the Air Force. In August I weighted 320. As of this morning I'm down to 245. I've been working out 6 days a week for at least 2 hours, most of the time more. The first half hour is usually weight training to get some tone and the rest is spent either on an exercise bike or elliptical machine. For the past 2 weeks I've been capping it off with a 2 mile jog at about 6.5 or 7 mph. I haven't had fast food in 3 months and I've been drinking diet soda since I started.

I've been trying to kick it up the past couple weeks because I'm really close to getting through MEPS.

Good on you. One of the biggest problems affecting military recruiting in general is that candidates cannot meet weight requirements to join. I've read a few articles about those who have worked their asxses off to make weight so that they can, and you have done it as well. Your motivation will carry on into the service and you will be a valuable asset to the Air Force. Again, Good Job.

SayWhat1 said:

Nice work, keep it up!

I haven't posted here before but I've dropped about 20 pounds down to 215 since the first part of the year. It feels good to have looser fitting clothes! :mug:

McKBrew said:
Good on you. One of the biggest problems affecting military recruiting in general is that candidates cannot meet weight requirements to join. I've read a few articles about those who have worked their asxses off to make weight so that they can, and you have done it as well. Your motivation will carry on into the service and you will be a valuable asset to the Air Force. Again, Good Job.

On top of all that, I've been working myself so hard that hopefully boot camp will be a vacation. Thanks for the well wishes, too! :)

weighed in at new years at 220. a 5'5" frame cannot support that kinda mass.
Plus I teach 1st grade, so i need the energy. I am down to about 212, wanted to be down more, but between courses, etc. (i know I know excuses) i havent had the time to workout.

hopefully i can conquer that during the spring. i'd like to get t0 180-190

Little update. I got cleared with 18% body fat, so I'm off to MEPS next week. I weighed in at 248lbs fully clothed. Oh, yeah, just for reference I'm 6'3 and I think I'm carrying my weight pretty well. I'd like to get down to about 230lbs. At that weight I can probably maintain 8-10% body fat, which would be perfect because then I can start showing some definition, look good at the beach, and all that kinda stuff.

18% @ 248 means you are carrying 44lbs of fat. 230 you would still be somewhere about 14% and thats counting no muscle loss which you will have.

You are looking closer to 210-15 for 10%. However good luck. AF basic training was 10x easier than the 10 months of bull**** techschool.

What are you going to be doing?

I don't know if the Air Force uses the same ridiculous body fat measuring system as the Navy, but at 224 and 6'1" I come in at 21-22% most of the time. The whole rope and choke thing is a crock, as some lard ass can have a big neck and that somehow accounts for the big waist, and a guy who is obviously way overweight can have the same body fat percentage as me.

SayWhat1 said:
Little update. I got cleared with 18% body fat, so I'm off to MEPS next week. I weighed in at 248lbs fully clothed. Oh, yeah, just for reference I'm 6'3 and I think I'm carrying my weight pretty well. I'd like to get down to about 230lbs. At that weight I can probably maintain 8-10% body fat, which would be perfect because then I can start showing some definition, look good at the beach, and all that kinda stuff.

Congrats. Good Luck on your new career. Sometimes I wish I would have joined the Air Force, but at the time they weren't trying to hard to recruit people and the recruited didn't call me back for about a month at which time I was already enlisted in the Navy.

The Air Force has nicer bases, better exchanges, and seems to put the needs of their personnel/families as a higher priority than any other service.

The Air Force has nicer bases, better exchanges, and seems to put the needs of their personnel/families as a higher priority than any other service.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH yea it may seem that way- But the constant mind **** is worse.

I'm getting myself in shape for a bike ride down to San Diego in May. This is my first ride in over a year, and I plan on doing about 25 miles right now. If I'm not back in a couple hours, it was nice knowing you guys...:D

Okay, I'm back and not dead. :) The ride went better that I had anticipated, but I'm still out of shape. The worst part was probably sucking all the car exhaust. It was a clear day and only a gentle breeze. For anyone knows the LA area, I basically rode completely around the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The back side goes right by the Trump National Golf Course and has a spectacular view of the ocean and Catalina Island. I'm going to try to do this ride weekly.

I don't know how I missed this thread. I started out last April at 275, after a a knee surgery made me inactive for 5 months. Im now down to 230 and still working on my goal of 200, that I hope to hit before my 23 B-day.

Here is a little video I watch if I ever need motivation. Just watching this makes me feel like a wimp.
[YOUTUBE]nVKqFAPdjIA[/YOUTUBE]

One thing a doctor told me a little while back is the problem with most people (meaning me) is portion control and soft drinks. I've still got to get the portion sizes down but I've cut out soda almost altogether and started riding a bicycle to do local errands. Hopefully I will be back in shape in time to gain it all back with the holiday feasts.:D

Man, you aren't joking about those soft drinks. I know some folks that get 500-600 calories each day just from soft drinks. That comes out to about a pound of fat per week. Diet soft drinks help a little, but I read recently that they can stimulate appetites. That is still going on the wrong direction.

TL

I have intentionally stayed out of this thread because I have been making no effort to lose weight.

Here's my story:

I woke up in jail in 1997 at age 30 weighing 308 lbs. I was in jail for my 2nd DUI arrest and I suddenly woke up!

I quit drinking, quit eating ANY fat, started excersizing every day (100 sit ups, 100 push ups, 100 toe touches and 15 minutes on the excersize bike twice a day, once when I woke up, once before I went to bed)

I did this for 6 months and lost 109 pounds! I actually lost 80 lbs in THREE MONTHS.

I thne started biking to work every day and was very fit.. I slowly started to drop off the excersize and started to drink again and I have gained a lot of it back... it took 8 years and I am back up around 280lbs

My point?

EVRY SINGLE day that I got on the scale, I weighed less. It took me less than 6 months to lose 108 lbs, with no weight watchers, no "miracle Diet" or any help from anyone else. Excersize and intake control did it all.

Awesome Pete! Sheer determination is key.

Im sitting 240 right now. But much les BF than i was 60 days ago... Probably 12% at the moment

Pete,

Did you do the situps & push ups twice a day or just the bike? I bet those 100 at 308# was a bit tough.

Did both twice a day... not all in one go of course, I started out only being able to do about 15 push ups and 30 sit ups, so I would alternate and do some toe touches , then go back to push ups etc. Workout used to take me probably 40 minutes and towards the end it took about 5!

As for the bike, that changed as well, I actually didn't time myself, I counted 500 revolutions, and as I got fitter, I cranked up the tension and made it harder to pedal.

Towards the end, I started trying to run, but running just isn't for me, no matter how fit I am.

Shortly after I lost all of this weight, I moved to Australia and started biking to work, around 25 minutes each way, pushing it HARD.

Wish I had kept up the excersise and biking and stayed off the grog :(

Well since I've gained 20lbs since I've started homebrewing, I've decided to get my ass to the gym and eat more healthy.

Gym 5 days a week (with two-a-days 3 of those days), burn 500 calories minimum over lunch, then after work get in a quick 200 more.

I'm two weeks into this so far. The first 3 days were hell.

I'm still at it. working out like a maniac. I broke 180 today (in the right direction).

I'm keeping the beer consumption at a reasonable level. Sometimes 0, sometimes 1, rarely 2 a day.

I'm not dieting.

Keep it up! With that routine you're pretty much guaranteed to lose weight.

brett said:
Well since I've gained 20lbs since I've started homebrewing, I've decided to get my ass to the gym and eat more healthy.

Gym 5 days a week (with two-a-days 3 of those days), burn 500 calories minimum over lunch, then after work get in a quick 200 more.

I'm two weeks into this so far. The first 3 days were hell.

I'd suggest holding off on the running until you lose some more pounds. go easy on those knees. More elliptical machine or perhaps swimming. Once you get the weight down some more then run as much as you want.

SayWhat1 said:
been capping it off with a 2 mile jog at about 6.5 or 7 mph.

I try to stick to whole foods only, in the words of Jack LaLane,

"If it taste good, don't eat. If man made it, spit it out"

Of course I will not include beer in this theory. Even old Jack drinks wine!

MikeFlynn74 said:
Stupid theory. I make tons of food thats excellent and very low fat.

Not a theory, just an expression. Its doesn't mean if you prepare you own dinner that it's bad. He is just saying stick with more whole foods, like naturally occurring ones. Fresh meat and veggies, rather than stuff that comes from a factory.

Back