Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
62.gif
Does it count if the SWMBO breaks it?
49.gif

Also 3 months into brewing, pushed a tray full of sanitizer off the counter with my primary bucket, poor hydrometer was in there to, the broken hydrometer was the least of my concerns though..

I left the hydrometer in the full hydrometer tube (on top of the kegerator) after brewing today in the garage. We set up the ping pong table and only a few shots in my wife blades one, dead centers the hydrometer stem, it breaks in half without disturbing the wort or the tube. I was impressed.

Broke 3 of 'em brewing 2 batches. Yes, I'm that clumsy. Currently standing at 1.5 hydrometers/batch. not the best statistic one could brag about.

Broke one last night making a Sierra Nevada clone. Dropped it into my bucket of sanitizer.... but it hit some other equipment hiding near the top...

Someone share the stock ticker for hydrometer commodities...

I just wanted to say...it has struck me that since I've bought a second one to have in backup, I haven't broken one! I know, I've probably jinxed myself, but it may be that having a spare is some sort of non-hydrometer-breakage-juju!

It means Murphy knows he has to work extra hard to screw up your brew day. If it's only a minor inconvenience, then it's not worth Murphy's time

Lack of a hydrometer won't screw up your brew day; the beer will turn out the same with or without one.

+1. Don't drop your hydrometer in the sample tube dry, leaves an interesting hole in the bottom of the tube and a large crack in the hydrometer. That brings us to 2060?

2063, broke coming off the moving truck, auto siphon grabbed the handle and threw the hydrometer out of the bucket.

+1 = 2064 Did the drop into a dry tube bit and cracked it. Put some aquarium silicone on it, calibrated it with distilled water and the very next day it slipped out of my hands and completely shattered.

No spare, so ordered two. Now I have 2 in hand and use one every day for my mango wines.

This one was a mystery as it was in the case on top of the refrigerator. Either one of the cats or kids and neither is confessiong.

The other day I dropped my hydrometer into the sample tube a little hard (and the sample was thin, below 1.000). The hydrometer was unscathed, but the glass sample tube shattered.

Almost added one to the list earlier tonight. It tried to commit suicide off my brewing supply table but I somehow managed to grab the tube as it shot off the table, towards the concrete floor. Whew!

2068, slid down the drain in my kitchen sink, must've hit one of the garbage disposal blades just right.

Rest in pieces, you wily sunnavabitch...

IMG_20151024_205657_402.jpg

2068 + 2 = 2070 ! ......don't ask how I managed to break 2! This is why there's a back up to the back up, with another back up...... Plus a refractometer ...... But it still perfer using a hydrometer. Just not comfortable reading a refractometer yet.

After 18 years my original hydrometer broke. Dropped it in the sink. RIP :(

I blame you guys. I've check this thread many times and finally decided to buy a backup hydrometer. The next week, bam! Broke the old one. :mad:

Back