Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I blame you guys. I've check this thread many times and finally decided to buy a backup hydrometer. The next week, bam! Broke the old one. :mad:

highlanderimage01.jpg

I'm up to three or four now. Keep poppin' holes in the rounded top, or breaking them shakin' the water off after rinsing...don't do dat!

UNIONRDR didn't post a solid # so I'm going with 2076. Correct me if needed.

Broke one tonight putting it back into it's tube and the bottom cap popped off causing the hydrometer to hit the concrete floor...after 2.5 yrs of service. Semper Fi!

I want a stainless steel engraved hydrometer filled with nitrogen. always the same temp, doesn't break if you break wind, and you can beat your neighbor with it. someone get on that. and soon. I don't like my neighbors.

2079. Graduated cylinder fell over while reading SG with hydrometer rocketing out the top and onto the counter top.

I'm with Billy on this one.

2080. Smashed my precision FG one taking it out of its case. I'm done with the things now, I'll stick to my refractometer and a calculator

Probably about 5 or six, the first 3 or so involved winemaking, then when I broke another I went to MD Homebrew and arrived just in time for a homebrewing 101 class. The rest is history, and I haven't looked at beer the same way since.

I guess I'm an anomaly, 7.5 years and I'm still using my original hydrometer. Of course I probably just jinxed myself....

Had a dream last night that my hydrometer broke in my Fermentor. Does that count?
I never check gravity from Fermentor always draw a sample for that reason.

Is mine #2083 or ? Left it in the sink after rinsing and dropped something in on top. Had it for about 9 months. Bought 2 to replace it and make damned sure I don't leave it in the sink!

Starsaning the glass carboy. Lifted up to dump into a bucket. Slipped out of fingers= water and starsan everywhere and wet feet. But it was in my garage...

2086. dropped while cleaning up. it actually stayed together on the ground so for a moment i thought i had dodged a bullet. but as soon as i tried to pick it up it disintegrated into a million little glass chips...

2087 - set it down on the counter and watched it roll right off onto the floor. i had my hands full with a glass carboy and decided the hydro was the lesser of two evils to sacrifice

2088 - This was last month. Took a gravity reading, handed the tube and hydrometer to my dad. He rinsed the tube out and then dropped the hydrometer on the floor of the kitchen.

2089 - my second one in 5 years or so.

First one was putting it in the test jar, plopped it down too quickly and shattered. The one last night just rolled off a chair. No idea what the OG of my brew last night was =\

2090.. Did not know this thread existed until today. The starter kit I bought when I first started about 2 years ago came with a pile of tiny glass shards which I later found out was supposed to be the hydrometer. LHBS replaced it free of charge and that is the same one I still use today.

Cleaned up my brew day set the hydrometer on the window, next morning open the window to crunch, it rolled down into the track. 2085. Moved to Minnesota from California, 2086.

I believe I wrote it at the same time as the others, it was right when I wrote it but was off by the time it posted. So 2092 & 2093 it is.

Brand new finishing gravity hydro - bought because I was thinking "I am the sh*t, man, gonna get myself a special hydro just for finishing gravities!". Carefully extracted out of the shipping tube in anticipation of first use. Have you ever seen how freakin thin those things are at the top? Nudged it ever so slightly sideways with the shipping tube as it was coming out - snapped right in half.

Never even got to use it once. Never even bothered to replace it. Some things are not meant for this world.

Few weeks ago, organizing my brew gear storage in the garage, hydrometer rolled off work bench. Smash.

Few days later, bought new hydro for last weekend's brew session. After using it, thought I'd be diligent and replace the hydro in the little plastic tube container it comes in. Was not aware that *both* ends of the plastic tube container have removable plugs, accidentally removed both of them. Hydro slides straight through container to the concrete below. Smash.

sanitizing my hydro and sample beaker, gently nudged the sample beaker out of the way to "Keep it safe" - knocked it into the sink. I now have 1 plus a backup, and a refractometer, just in case.

2098 I was putting my hydrometer back in tube and when I dropped it in, the bottom came out and it smashed on the concrete. My new one only has 1 cap.

2099, knocked it of the shelf while cleaning up for the day, the tube it was in offered no protection

2098 I was putting my hydrometer back in tube and when I dropped it in, the bottom came out and it smashed on the concrete. My new one only has 1 cap.

Those double stopper storage tubes are roundout CRIMINAL! Many hydrometers have been killed by that stupidest of all designs. Someone should complain, really bad engineering there! A sheer case of hydrocide to happen!

I've taped the bottom stopper to the tube and placed a wad of soft fabric on the bottom too, so it doesn't damage the instrument when lowering it a bit too fast.

When I was using the tube the hydrometer came in for testing, I bought this hard sponge washer from NB that fits one end;

I think it was 70c at the time? Keeps the plug on one end nice & snug. I had to buy another floating thermometer & it had a shorter, slightly wider tube with only one red cap. so the hard foam ring went on the bottom of that one for testing. It's a hair shorter & wider than the hydrometer tube;

Back