Off taste after gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
I've been kegging for a few years and have found something recently that I fear may have ruined my st pattys irish red

Sometimes I gelatin clear the primary with fantastic results but this time around I added it to a cold keg. It's been a day and although it hasn't dropped clear yet the beer has a horrible taste now. It went from a delicious biscuit flavor to almost musty. Could it be the yeast concentration at the bottom of the keg? It's the only thing I can think of that could cause an overnight flavor change. Hopefully it drops clear soon and I can pour a couple nasty pints off to leave the good stuff behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wait - you put a clarifying agent in a keg of cold beer and 24 hours later you're pulling funky flavors from the bottom of the keg?

That's unpossible!

But seriously, where did you think the horse hoof, yeast and trubby bits were going to go? Detroit?

Cheers! ;)

I guess my point was that normally gelatin will coagulate and drop making the first pint or two clumpy and cloudy. The following pulls are typically clear and free of off flavors, but this time around the last 4 pints are just cloudy and nasty tasting.

I measured the temp of the beer coming out of the tap though and with my controller set at 42* I was getting beer around 48*, much to warm for the gelatin to work properly from my understanding.

I dropped the temp to 32 and we'll see where the beer gets to today. Hopefully that expedites the clearing since we hope to empty that keg this saturday.

Latest posts

Back