Off-Flavour Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revelator

Reaction score
A couple of my recent batches have ended up with a flavour that doesnt seem to fall into the conventional "off flavours" and havent been able to fully remedy it based on that

I initially assumed it had something to do with improper pH during mashing, as I learned that using the 5.2 mash stabilizer didnt actually allow me to hit the desired pH (stabilized closer to 6.0) - After fixing that issue by using phosphoric acid, RO water and a bit of CaCl2, the flavour had diminished slightly, but still remained (Ive been hitting 5.1-5.2)

I can only really describe it as an almost syrupy taste, but without the harsh sweetness that residual sugar would have...it almost gives the beer a "thick" taste - Could it possibly be a very high level of dextrin sugars, or does anyone else have any suggestions (Ive been mashing at about 65C)...I know my description is quite vague but Im hoping someone might be able to piece it together

Thanks

You're sure your beer isn't actually, physically thick? Because it's possible you've been failing to account for boiloff/absorption and you're brewing thicker beer than planned.

You're sure your beer isn't actually, physically thick? Because it's possible you've been failing to account for boiloff/absorption and you're brewing thicker beer than planned.

When you say it may be physically thick, are you referring to it potentially being overconcentrated - If thats the case, Ive always fallen within a good range in terms of gravity (somewhere between 1.055 and 1.065 depending on the recipe)

Check your thermometer. You say you are mashing at 65C, which is 149 for us f'ers. But if it is reading a little low and say you're at 68-69C instead, you are mashing high and creating unfermentable sugars. That would leave a syrupy taste.

Check your thermometer. You say you are mashing at 65C, which is 149 for us f'ers. But if it is reading a little low and say you're at 68-69C instead, you are mashing high and creating unfermentable sugars. That would leave a syrupy taste.

At those temps does it makes sense that the dextrins could overpower the taste - I was always under the impression that it would affect the flavour, but not completely take over...but nonetheless, I have considered this a possibility...Next time I brew, Ill definately push towards the lower end and see if that fixes things...I just find it odd since some of the recipes I used called for a mash at 68C, but I still opted for one closer to 65C

have you been taking final gravity readings? If your FG is nice and low, then we can rule out under attenuation.

Both times I tried using the 5.2 buffer, I've had an off flavor in the brew. Replaced the buffer with acid, and the off flavor went away.
However, the off flavor in my case couldn't be described as syrupy, so it may be something completely different.

-a.

When you say it may be physically thick, are you referring to it potentially being overconcentrated - If thats the case, Ive always fallen within a good range in terms of gravity (somewhere between 1.055 and 1.065 depending on the recipe)

"Overconcentrated" is pretty subjective, but yeah, I think we're on the same page. Dude who replied after me sounds like he might be onto your issue, though. :)

Though FWIW, I had a milk porter with a FG of 1030. Suspect it was a stuck ferment, because it got ridiculously overcarbed and I had to vent the batch and recap over the course of two days to get the carb level down to correct. The beer itself is still ridiculously tarry and thick, but since it's a desert beer that's absolutely fine, it adds to the effect. :rockin:

have you been taking final gravity readings? If your FG is nice and low, then we can rule out under attenuation.

Ya...I used to have issues with under-attenuation, but since I began using starters/stir plate those issues are history - I think zacsters suggestion might be the cause, as I do recall my thermometer readings to be a little high...I just wasnt aware that it would have an overpowering affect, since enzyme activity isnt usually an on/off kind of relationship...more so favouring one enzymes activity over another, but still allowing both to catalyze their respective reactions

Back