Off flavors in a young stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
So I've brewed a lot of stouts and they all seem to have the same cloying sweet smell when they're young. In my Imperial Stout this took a LONG time to age out. In my lower gravity stouts it is less intense and takes less time to diminish.

I guess my question is what is it? Is it an off flavor aroma? Is it something to do with the typical grain bill? Are there particular things like this that are common in stouts?

Thanks!

So I've brewed a lot of stouts and they all seem to have the same cloying sweet smell when they're young. In my Imperial Stout this took a LONG time to age out. In my lower gravity stouts it is less intense and takes less time to diminish.

I guess my question is what is it? Is it an off flavor aroma? Is it something to do with the typical grain bill? Are there particular things like this that are common in stouts?

Thanks!

Not knowing anything about what you’re making, the two things I would suspect would be crystal malt in your recipes (I just don’t feel it belongs in stouts in general), and yeast selection (and I suppose fermentation temp paired with the yeast choice). You’ll need to provide a little more info, though.

This latest was a low abv milk stout

8.5lb Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 80
1 lb flaked oats
3/4 lb pale chocolate malt
5 oz midnight wheat
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
1 lb lactose
2 oz fuggle

S-04 yeast rehydrated

This latest was a low abv milk stout

8.5lb Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 80
1 lb flaked oats
3/4 lb pale chocolate malt
5 oz midnight wheat
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
1 lb lactose
2 oz fuggle

S-04 yeast rehydrated

Do you recall what temperature you fermented at?

Depending on your mash temp, yeah I''d expect a low ABV sweet stout with a pound of lactose and a pound of crystal malt to be pretty sweet.

I would try losing the crystal in your next recipe. I think it’s really only suited to certain styles. And maybe try a different dry English yeast to see if that’s what you’re not loving (1318 is a favorite of mine).

I would try losing the crystal in your next recipe. I think it’s really only suited to certain styles. And maybe try a different dry English yeast to see if that’s what you’re not loving (1318 is a favorite of mine).

I wonder if it is the crystal malt. It doesn't seem like 'that much' crystal for the style. But I have heard that some people just don't like the flavor of crystal malt. Maybe I'm one of them....

If you want the crystal I'd bump it down to 6-8 oz. I'd also get rid of the pale chocolate malt and use 6-8 oz of the chocolate malt. I think the pale chocolate malt may be adding to the sweetness, whereas the chocolate malt brings some roast/ coffee characters with the chocolate.

Back