Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abandonhope16

Reaction score
I'm having a consistent issue with a specific off flavor. I think its green apple/cider. It happens with pretty much every light/pale beer I make. I've let beers go longer and shorter. I've kept them bottled and condition for longer and shorter. All grain and extract. Seems that I end up with this issue no matter what. I just cant pinpoint the issue. I usually use s-05. Temps can get to 73ish during active fermentation according to the sticky thermometer.
I've made a few porters that turn out well.

I dislike S05, but if you have porters than turn out well with it it is more likely due to your water. If you are using water with a moderate alkalinity, dark beers turn out great but pale beers can have some flavor impacts. You can try adding a little acidulated malt to your mash, a couple of ounces, or try using RO water in the next batch to see if that clears it up.

S-05 in my opinion isn't as forgiving as Nottingham. Notty has a much wider range (50 to 75) and I've had good luck with it in beers that I want done quickly. +1 to the acidulated malt as well, but I would suggest getting a water report too. Darker beers are better at "hiding" off flavors than lighter ones, usually due to a more complex grain bill.

Thanks all. I tend to use jugs of bottled water, though Ive done some batches with water from the fridge filter. I dont recall which batches used what water. I will try improving my water and see what that does. Maybe I can narrow things down at least. Thanks again

Whenever I see somebody talk about how their dark beers taste great but their light beers have off flavors, the first thing that comes to mind is that the alkalinity in the brewing water is probably too high.

By all means, experiment with water but I've never heard of high alkalinity being responsible for green apple flavors. It's usually a harsh, astringent, grainy taste that is caused by the alkalinity issue.

If it's a sour taste, is it possible you have an infection somewhere in your setup, and the darker beers have enough complexity to mask the problem, at least for a while? If you get an infection it can propagate from brew to brew unless you do a really good job of sterilizing your gear. Plastic stuff especially. When I had an infection (only one to date, thankfully) I decided I wasn't taking any chances so I just threw out all of my cold-side plastic stuff and started over. Drastic, but it fixed the problem.

I've got a bad light, great dark issue

Maybe this summer I'll do some work on the water side - we've very hard water here - I adjust the ph down but doesn't seem to change much - sour nasty taste - worse if I use S04

The dark beers absolutely smash it whatever recipe/yeast/grain I use - when I buy an expensive porter in a craft pub - every time I think jeez the stuff I knock out at home is worth a bloody fortune

I had a half for £5 the other day - it was literally identical to my base brew - in fact I would have down marked it for lacking mouth feel

On the plus side I love porters and if I've IPA in the house I guzzle it too fast

Thanks all. I tend to use jugs of bottled water, though Ive done some batches with water from the fridge filter. I dont recall which batches used what water. I will try improving my water and see what that does. Maybe I can narrow things down at least. Thanks again

Is your water from a municipal supply? Refrigerator filters won't remove chloramine from the water. This could be the problem. Small amounts of chloramine may not show in the darker beers.

Take detailed notes for each brew session all the way through tasting the last bottle. It really helps when doing the same recipe the 2nd or 5th time.

I doubt water is related to your green apple problem - more likely a yeast health issue. Judging by the “sometimes it gets up to 73F” comment, I’m guessing you don’t have temperature control. The roasted grains in your dark beers likely mask the acetaldehyde that is more obvious in pale beers.

Try aerating wort before pitching and doing a double dose of yeast from your usual in the meantime while you procure temp control.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/07/13/acetaldehyde-in-home-brewed-beer-the-green-apple-off-flavor/

Have you noticed it with other yeast strains as well? I can't use S-05. I always pick up an odd "off flavor" or characteristic with it that doesnt come through when i use a similiar yeast such as WLP001.

In the spirit of reporting back, I have a bit of an update. For my batch after this, I tried to keep my brewday textbook. After filling up my fermenter, I had a little left over so I thought what the hell, sanitized a 64 oz carboy and pitched half a packet of dry yeast that I had. For the main batch, I did a full packet of rehydrated yeast. Both S05. Thinking I may have a temp issue, I used a cooler/ice packs to keep temps pretty low. Went to keg the main batch and noticed the cider smell...."fffffuuuuuu****". Bottle my single 25oz bottle from the glass jug and didnt have a smell. "Hmmmmm".
While thats been conditioning, I did another batch split between 2 gal carboys. Ended up using a mr beer yeast that I had. Bottled yesterday and there was no cider smell. Tasted sample, no cider taste. Had my 25oz bottle as well and no cider taste. So, the problem appears to be in my plastics. Which is weird because I have a few that I rotate around, so they all have this issue? What could it be?

In a couple weeks, I will taste the 2 gallon batch and report back. But I think Ive narrowed it down to the plastic fermenters.

Back