Off Flavor - Powder Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of beer and it has a strong 'off flavor'.

I can't easily describe it. It's not one of the common off flavors such as buttery or astringent. The best I can do is say powdery. Now, I've never stuck powder into my mouth, but I imagine if I dumped a small amount into my beer this is what it would taste like.

My impulse is to quickly blame the yeast here. It's the first time I've used it and it has very little reviews/comments. So I don't want to do that just yet.

Anyone have any experience with something similar?

If it matters it is a simple Czech Pilsner. Some Saaz hops and light DME. Nothing else.

I find it hard to imagine "powdery" without thinking more of texture rather than taste. Is it somewhere near "cardboard"? That would suggest oxidation, of the beer or of the starting ingredients.

At this time of year stale ingredients are a problem, at least for those in the Northern Hemisphere. If you go back to your grains and your hops, do they smell OK? Have they been stored well?

WHen you say "powder" do you mean baby powder? Is it a perfumey scent?

If so, what's your cleaning regimen? Are you using dish detergent or another scented cleanser?

Lol dang it guys I knew this would be tough.

Definitely not oxidation. I know that taste.

Yes I mean baby powder Mainer. Just taking a stab as describing it. I never use detergents or anything scented.

Maybe phenols? If I was forced with a gun to my head to choose from the most common I'd choose phenols because of medicinal. But I really don't think it's medicinal tasting. But then again, never tasted a beer that was categorized as having medicinal off flavors.

Lol dang it guys I knew this would be tough.

Definitely not oxidation. I know that taste.

Yes I mean baby powder Mainer. Just taking a stab as describing it. I never use detergents or anything scented.

Maybe phenols? If I was forced with a gun to my head to choose from the most common I'd choose phenols because of medicinal. But I really don't think it's medicinal tasting. But then again, never tasted a beer that was categorized as having medicinal off flavors.
TO me, that sounds a little like chlorophenol, the one they talk about as being "band-aid" like, that antiseptic taste. Usually, though, that comes from chlorine in your water, and if you're using the same water you always have, I have trouble figuring where that would be coming from, unless you had some external contamination source.

TO me, that sounds a little like chlorophenol, the one they talk about as being "band-aid" like, that antiseptic taste. Usually, though, that comes from chlorine in your water, and if you're using the same water you always have, I have trouble figuring where that would be coming from, unless you had some external contamination source.

Hmmm.....interesting thought.

It's interesting because as of late I have been using purchased spring water. Now, a batch or two, I did not use spring water and used water from my tap.

I'd like to say I'm an awesome note taker and noted which water I used. However I suck and can't say for sure.

Prior to using spring water I used water straight from the tap. Never had this issue. Our water here is actually pretty decent and chlorine is not an issue.

But who knows really...

Not sure this is relevant since it's an extract batch. But I could be wrong.

In fact, my wife always says I'm wrong ;)

Back