Off flavor on my extract beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abide

Reaction score
5 stouts in all a little different but there is the same off flavor in all of them. Wondering if it is something with the fact I keg them? Because I don't taste it before I keg. I clean everything any thoughts

5 stouts in all a little different but there is the same off flavor in all of them. Wondering if it is something with the fact I keg them? Because I don't taste it before I keg. I clean everything any thoughts

Yes it probably does have something to do with your kegging the beers. Stouts take time to mature and when you keg you probably don't give them the time they need to mature. I bottle and find that it takes 3 to 6 months at room temp for my stouts to properly mature. Until then they have a harsh flavor.

Try a lighter color/lower alcohol beer and see if you get the same off flavor. The lighter the color and lower alcohol the sooner the beers mature.

Do you have temperature control during fermentation? High fermentation temperatures can lead to some interesting flavors too, usually not good ones.

Yes it probably does have something to do with your kegging the beers. Stouts take time to mature and when you keg you probably don't give them the time they need to mature. I bottle and find that it takes 3 to 6 months at room temp for my stouts to properly mature. Until then they have a harsh flavor.

Try a lighter color/lower alcohol beer and see if you get the same off flavor. The lighter the color and lower alcohol the sooner the beers mature.

Do you have temperature control during fermentation? High fermentation temperatures can lead to some interesting flavors too, usually not good ones.

Thanks I keep it in my closet about 70 to 73 I waited about 30 days on this one before I put it in the keg

Also could be that you experiencing the extract twang. Next time you brew, take a taste of the extract. If that is the flavor you are experiencing then, that is it. Look into late additions on extract. This was what caused me to move into BIAB. My beers kept having an off taste. I finally tasted the extract, and said, "that's it!" It is how I found HBT, searching for the source of that taste.

Also could be that you experiencing the extract twang. Next time you brew, take a taste of the extract. If that is the flavor you are experiencing then, that is it. Look into late additions on extract. This was what caused me to move into BIAB. My beers kept having an off taste. I finally tasted the extract, and said, "that's it!" It is how I found HBT, searching for the source of that taste.

That was a thought I had also a friend that does all grain said there was always that extract taste he had thanks I will try that

Thanks I keep it in my closet about 70 to 73 I waited about 30 days on this one before I put it in the keg

That's too warm and at that temperature range the yeast will create some fusel alcohol and lots of esters. Depending on the yeast I choose I would start mine in a room that is 62 degrees and it ferments cleanly because the yeast activity will not raise the beer temp more than a couple degrees, leaving the beer well within the proper fermentation temperature. With a start of 70 the yeast activity will be stronger and probably raise the beer temp to nearly 75, way up into the off flavor region. With a start at 73 the yeast will be more active yet and could push the beer temp over 80.

Look into a swamp cooler if you cannot afford a fermentation chamber. With most ale yeasts you want to keep the temperature below about 65.

That's too warm and at that temperature range the yeast will create some fusel alcohol and lots of esters. Depending on the yeast I choose I would start mine in a room that is 62 degrees and it ferments cleanly because the yeast activity will not raise the beer temp more than a couple degrees, leaving the beer well within the proper fermentation temperature. With a start of 70 the yeast activity will be stronger and probably raise the beer temp to nearly 75, way up into the off flavor region. With a start at 73 the yeast will be more active yet and could push the beer temp over 80.

Look into a swamp cooler if you cannot afford a fermentation chamber. With most ale yeasts you want to keep the temperature below about 65.

Thanks

What puzzles me is that flavor is not there right before I keg it's after I keg that it appears

You need to clean that keg. Flush the poppets, remove the posts and soak in warm PBW, rinse with warm water, then soak in star san (insert your sani.) then re-assemble. For good measure I would replace the o rings of the keg.

i had a similar problem that went away when i purchased a different brand dip tube. apparently they are not all made the same. who would have guessed ;)

J.

i had a similar problem that went away when i purchased a different brand dip tube. apparently they are not all made the same. who would have guessed ;)

let me add to that, the off flavor was not limited to extract beers.

J.

I think the problem is I got my Co2 tank from a friend that passed turns out it was filled in 2000. I saw some other post of others that had the same kinda flavor issue I'm going to look it to that as well thanks for all the comments I will give back a report

Does your city put chloramine in their water? If so, treat it with campden tablets as it cannot be boiled out .I'm experiencing an off taste myself in 2 out of 3 brews that I did not use campden tablets in.

Does your city put chloramine in their water? If so, treat it with campden tablets as it cannot be boiled out .I'm experiencing an off taste myself in 2 out of 3 brews that I did not use campden tablets in.

This is why I go with distilled water.

Blank slate and build it the way I want it. One less variable that cost $5-10

Latest posts

Back