Off flavor in store bought Two Hearted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintzymurgy

Reaction score
Out of homebrew and bought a 6 of Two Hearted at the local Meijer. Bottling date was 2 months before purchase, I even took the one in the back (weird habit of mine). Opened it up and was nothing like I remembered, it has this weird flavor or staleness with a dead hop aroma that I've compared to a beer well long after its shelf life. What could have been the cause?

I have no idea. I have never had a bad bottle of it. The only time I've been disappointed was at Buffalo Wild Wings. Twice I ordered Two Hearted and thought it was not hoppy enough. They double checked and swore the lines were right and I know they clean their lines every two weeks minimum.

I've never had a bad bottle of it.

Maybe I should get a couple tonight, just to be sure...

Storage will impact the freshness of the beer just as much as aging. If its been improperly stored, say at 80 F or above for an extended period of time the beer will stale much faster.

I had Two Hearted the same bar twice, the first time I thought it was pretty good, the second I couldn't believe the difference, stale and no flavors.
I asked, they said it was a fresh keg. It's is a college town, so they have high turnover. I could not understand the hype, but maybe it was the bourbon I had before the first time.

Did you have fatty or spicy food first? Anything that could kinda dull your own palate?

That beer isn't readily available here, so I was thrilled to try it when I visited my brother last year. Big disappointment. I suspect the same poor handling as the sixer you bought. The difference: I bought mine in a convenience store in a little lake town in/near Georgia.

I'm sure the fresh 2-hearts is far better than the crap I bought, or it would not be popular. Thanks for reminding me that I spent a fortune for beer that more-or-less sucked. Then, worst of all, my brother tasted a beer that I made -- and went to great lengths to transport to him -- and declared, with the bitter beer face, "Well, it's beer."

I bought a 6-pack couple of days ago. It's not the same. I am not getting the strong grapefruit flavor I am used to. Still a good IPA, and I did not check the date, so maybe it's just old. I bought it at the local grocery store, so there it a chance it isn't getting the turnover an IPA deserves.

I'll check date next time I have one, if I can remember.

It's one of my go-to's, and I've had some bottles/cans that were better than others. If you can find the cans, I would try that. It is way better fresh than after it had sat for a couple months, which is probably what happens in most stores. It is best from the brewery (no surprise).

Back