Off flavor in new batch, kinda comedy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, i kegged up a batch using my new submersible pump...wide open fermenter, like 14" lid off it. pumped the beer into a couple corny's...didn't prurge them or anything, left them sitting at 10psi for a week, figured i had the time for them to slow and steady carb.

my recipe, well i just used 4oz's crystal 60, and 4 oz's roast barley hoping for something like with a mild roast flavor....i tried to get fancy with the hops, used 2oz's bravo for 60, and another 1.5oz for 10....

well anyway long story short, i have a VERY prodamenant off flavor.....but i don't know the name for it. any ideas what to call it? if i could take a picture and post it it'd be nice, but unfortantly lifes more complicated.

would a heavy 10 minute addition and oxidation, make a specific thing?

Well, i kegged up a batch using my new submersible pump...wide open fermenter, like 14" lid off it. pumped the beer into a couple corny's...didn't prurge them or anything, left them sitting at 10psi for a week, figured i had the time for them to slow and steady carb.

my recipe, well i just used 4oz's crystal 60, and 4 oz's roast barley hoping for something like with a mild roast flavor....i tried to get fancy with the hops, used 2oz's bravo for 60, and another 1.5oz for 10....

well anyway long story short, i have a VERY prodamenant off flavor.....but i don't know the name for it. any ideas what to call it? if i could take a picture and post it it'd be nice, but unfortantly lifes more complicated.

would a heavy 10 minute addition and oxidation, make a specific thing?

What does it taste like?

well, that's the problem....astringent? or bitter sour? but not sour, like rough....but tangy....like if tangy had a bold style flavor? lol and a difrent color?

Yeasty can be rough and tangy. Did your pump stir up yeast a lot more than normal? You've had a week to settle, but might need more time, especially if you are drawing from the bottom of the keg.

Bravo's high AA but 1.5oz late addition in 10 gallons shouldn't be overwhelming. Unless you are really sensitive to hops. My wife is very sensitive to sour and bitter (she doesn't even like lemonade) so would probably hate a beer like that.

I associate the beginnings of oxidized with a sweet flavor. Late stage is where you get the sherry flavors.

Going back to your first post, it would be awesome if you could take a picture of the flavor. Brain computer interfaces are doing some really cool things nowadays, but I think we're a ways off from that technology. Although I'm sure then we'd have to worry about viruses/exploits on your brain, which would be bad.

Although I'm sure then we'd have to worry about viruses/exploits on your brain, which would be bad.

yeah well homebrew is my virus scanner....it helps detect a tweaker, or heroin addict a mile away..lol

and i just took a drink and thought like grapefruit without the citric acid, so kinda dull, very dull grapefruit.....

Last edited:
Tangy, zesty... Sounds like you can open a restaurant.
Chill it down nice and cold (so the tang doesn't grow) and add some cold brew coffee. Will add extra roast flavor and maybe make the zestiness more at home.

add some cold brew coffee.

wonderful human being, i think that's just what it needs! ;) (and i'm serious! i got two kegs, thinking now of droping a hop bag full of coffee into the other one, drinking this trying to figure out how to describe it...) :mug:

Nice hope it turns out well!
As an aside, my 2nd brew ever was totally off script, made a stout following the grain bill per my LHBS, but added hot-brewed coffee (home roast, chemex brewer) and dry hopped it like crazy. One of my best ever beers.

to update, i checked my recipe ...i used a 1lb of caravienne , think that's what i don't like.....

but out of curiosity, anyone got a description of a heavy caravienne flavor?

Back