Off Flavor in IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexF

Reaction score
Hi all,

First, this is my first post here. I've used these forums for reference for a long time now and found them really valuable, but never registered until just now when I wanted to post something. So hi everyone.

So for a while now, every IPA (or pale ale, and almost every hoppy saison) I've brewed has had the same terrible flavor. I'm not sure how to describe it--chemical, or medicinal, or grassy, or something...it's not something I've ever tasted in a beer outside my own homebrews. And it's not a subtle off flavor; it takes over the whole flavor profile so much that aside from some generic bitterness/hoppiness, I usually can't even taste the hop character in these beers. I've tried to drink through some of them, they're not so disgusting as to be undrinkable, but mostly I've ended up giving them away to people who don't care.

This has ONLY been a problem in hoppy beers--I brew lots of other styles from brown ales to wheat beers to berlinerweisse to saisons to experimental brett beers and have had no such problems with any other styles, and have been extremely happy with most of my recent batches, so I don't feel like I have any general problem of process or sanitation. Anyway, sometimes the beers have tasted fine at bottling, and then had this problem after conditioning; other times they already tasted like **** at bottling time.

The only cleaning products I use are oxiclean for cleaning, Starsan for sanitizing. No soap or bleach ever.

I have officially exhausted every idea I had about what the problem might be:

*I first thought it might be an infection, so I started going overboard with sanitation, and at one point even bought an entirely new set of equipment (fermenter, siphon, tubing, bottling bucket, everything) which I used for the first time on an IPA...no dice. Also doesn't seem like an infection because a) the flavors aren't remotely similar to any infection I've experienced before, and b) they don't change at all with time, even after a few months. And no carbonation issues.

*Then I thought it might be a problem with chlorine/chloramine since the off flavors from chlorophenols sound similar to these, so I bought a filter for chlorine AND started treating all my water with campden. And I started using only distilled water to make sanitizer and so on.

*Then I thought maybe it was a problem from oxiclean residue, so I've started going overboard on rinsing, and also soaking everything in Starsan solution for forever to wash off an residue.

*Then I thought maybe it was a problem with fermentation temperature, so for the most recent batch I carefully controlled temp and it never went above 70. Still has the problem.

I even thought maybe it was a problem from overexposure to hops, so I started making sure I got little to no hop trub in fermenters when racking, and have made sure no batch stays on dry hops longer than 10 days. I even reduced my dry hopping amounts (I was using as much as 6 oz in some batches).

I'm also baffled because all my other, non-hoppy beers are fine. Even heavily hopped beers like imperial stouts have been fine. So there seems to be some association with dry hopping...? I have a pale ale in fermenter now that I might try bottling without any drop hops just to see, but I don't really understand how dry hopping could be causing this problem. I brewed earlier batches of IPAs, and more recent batches of really hoppy saisons, that have come out fine even with lots of dry hops. And my hops are stored in a freezer, in vaccuum sealed bags, and I haven't used any hops more than a couple months after opening them.

Worth noting: in some 1 gallon batches I brewed, I had a much worse problem that might be an extreme form of the same problem, or might have been an infection that's unrelated, but in those batches the beers were naaaaaasty, tasted like burned metal, and had purplish colored dregs. OH, and those beers were also bizarrely dark in color--like some of them were 100% base malt and came out looking almost like a brown ale. Some of them looked fine and very light when brewed and even when bottled, then came out dark after bottle conditioning. And I went CRAZY with sanitation on those, like leaving the siphon and fermenters soaking for days in sanitizer solution up until right when I used them, and doing the same with some of the bottles and with the bottling bucket. The full batch IPAs haven't been that dark, but look maybe slightly darker than they should be.

To be clear: this is not a matter of just not liking the grassy dry hop flavor--I've brewed earlier IPAs with as much as 5 oz of dry hops for 14 days that I loved. This is something way different.

So...what the actual ****. I don't even have a crazy theory left about what's going on, but I know I've wasted dozens of gallons of beer at this point and am ready to quit brewing IPAs (formerly my favorite thing to brew) if I can't figure this out very soon.

I'm wondering if it could be a high pH issue. Do you know the alkalinity of your water and do you check pH? You mentioned an unusually dark appearance and odd flavors in the 100% base malt beers, which could certainly be prone to high pH as compared to your browns, stouts, etc. Just a thought.

I check PH occasionally and it's always in the right range--I also often add gypsum to hoppy beers (not always) because I've read my city's water report and I know our water is on the soft end or below for an IPA. But yeah I know I need to get a more complete water report...

But other 100% base malt beers, saisons and wheat beers and so on, that I've brewed have turned out just fine so I feel like it has to have something to do with the hops.

And for yeast: US-05 usually but a few of these beers have had Wyeast London ESB, or various kinds of saison yeast, or ECY Conan...one was a 100% brett IPA.

Where are you getting the hops from? Are they mouldy or have you used different hops? Grasping at straws here

I have used both stainless steel and aluminum pot at different times, and have made fine IPAs with both pots. Same pots I use for all other beers and no problems in general.

Hops come from a couple different online stores as well as local homebrew shop. Always store them in vaccuum sealed bags immediately after use in the freezer. Some of these beers have been hopped with super fresh 2013 New Zealand hops that I opened immediately before use.

Definitely get a water report to start, adding water additions without one can cause problems as you could actually be causing off flavors from too much of a certain addition.

All the suggested items thus far would be the normal things to look at and you already have. It's odd that it's only your really hoppy beers.

Do you have a club or good LHBS around you? Any BJCP judges you could ask to sample, perhaps they can pin point your off flavor a little better and assist in a solution or cause.

Not really an active club or LHBS...my friend who is a more experienced homebrewer and a BJCP judge has tried a couple of these and only suggested some of the same things I already mentioned.

I might try adding gelatin or something to next batch just in case fining the dry hop particles out makes a differnece? I don't know....I just don't even know what else to try.

You really have covered everything that I would have. I brew a ton of ipas and am at the point where every one rivals tsome of the best out there.

I don't treat my ipas any differently. Hop particles wouldn't be the issue you're describing. Maybe something with they way all the acids in your ipas are reacting to something in yojr kettle, fermentor or with the water? I use oxy and starsan too. No issues there. I just toss my dry hops I the fermentor and let them settle before bottling or kegging. No issues with a little hop dust in my beers creating off flavors.

Hope u figure it out...

Yeah I brew a lot of ipa's as well and I let all the hop trub and cold break right into my fermenter. I pitch a pack is US05 on top and that's it for 2 weeks. Then I dryhop in primary and leave it for another. These turn out fantastic.
I don't know what to say for your off flavours. Maybe your just trying too hard? Or maybe too much hops

Yeah I brew a lot of ipa's as well and I let all the hop trub and cold break right into my fermenter. I pitch a pack is US05 on top and that's it for 2 weeks. Then I dryhop in primary and leave it for another. These turn out fantastic.
I don't know what to say for your off flavours. Maybe your just trying too hard? Or maybe too much hops

That's basically my process in a nutshell.

I can't really imagine that too much hops would create such a radical change in flavor...and I've had this problem in beers with less hops anyway. And brewed beers with up to 5 oz dry hops that tasted just fine. Honestly I'm pretty sure my recipes are perfectly fine and would be making top notch IPAs if I weren't having this problem...just around the time I was getting my recipes honed in after playing around with early batches of IPAs is when I started having this problem.

What's your mash fun / hoses made of? I remember a person on this forum once had a problem that was hard to track and it ended up being from a piece of tubing on the mash tun

What's your mash fun / hoses made of? I remember a person on this forum once had a problem that was hard to track and it ended up being from a piece of tubing on the mash tun

Mash tun is a 10 gal Home Depot cooler conversion following a pretty standard conversion from instructions I found online. But I just can't believe it's any of my basic equipment causing this problem. I use the same equipment for all my beers (except for sour stuff where I have an extra set to avoid infection). I've had this problem with 10+ IPA batches in a row; during the same time I've brewed dozens of beers in many other styles and had no trace of the problem in a single one. There's gotta be a correlation that goes beyond just some flaw in my equipment or my basic process...

you said same problem with store bought water?

No, I haven't built my own water from store bought water yet. I use distilled water for sanitizer sometimes, but not for whole batches. I filter water for chlorine, and I've seen Knoxville's water report and there doesn't seem to by anything outside of acceptable ranges as far as what's listed in the report.

Same water used for all my beers, problem only happens in the really hoppy ones.

No, I haven't built my own water from store bought water yet. I use distilled water for sanitizer sometimes, but not for whole batches. I filter water for chlorine, and I've seen Knoxville's water report and there doesn't seem to by anything outside of acceptable ranges as far as what's listed in the report.

Same water used for all my beers, problem only happens in the really hoppy ones.

How do you filter for chlorine? Have you tried campden tablets to remove chloramines/chlorine?

How do you filter for chlorine? Have you tried campden tablets to remove chloramines/chlorine?

Yep. From OP: "Then I thought it might be a problem with chlorine/chloramine since the off flavors from chlorophenols sound similar to these, so I bought a filter for chlorine AND started treating all my water with campden. And I started using only distilled water to make sanitizer and so on."

Yep. From OP: "Then I thought it might be a problem with chlorine/chloramine since the off flavors from chlorophenols sound similar to these, so I bought a filter for chlorine AND started treating all my water with campden. And I started using only distilled water to make sanitizer and so on."

Ok, I wasn't sure since you mentioned a filter. You don't need both, but if your water company uses chloramine (and many do) the campden is essential.

What's a typical mash pH for your IPAs?

Ok, I wasn't sure since you mentioned a filter. You don't need both, but if your water company uses chloramine (and many do) the campden is essential.

What's a typical mash pH for your IPAs?

I only have those cheapass strips and not a real PH meter so I don't have solid data, but based on color of strips it seems to be between the 5.0 and 5.4 color, which I think is right where it's supposed to be (but I don't know much about the effects of mash ph).

I only have those cheapass strips and not a real PH meter so I don't have solid data, but based on color of strips it seems to be between the 5.0 and 5.4 color, which I think is right where it's supposed to be (but I don't know much about the effects of mash ph).

Hmmm. I really think that the water chemistry is the issue, but without a pH reading it's impossible to say.

What do you know about your water?

What are the Sulfate, Chloride and Sodium ppm for your water? Having a probelm with specifically hoppy beers and not malty ones makes me think you need to look at those.

What I know about my water comes from reports that our utilities board publishes. Here's one but I've seen another before (which I can't seem to find now) that has more details: http://www.kub.org/wps/wcm/connect/...8c3a7f/WQ+Report+-+2012+FINAL.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Sulfate - 26 ppm
Chloride - 14 ppm
Sodium - 12 ppm

Sometimes I add gypsum to water, sometimes not. I always run through a basic tap filter and treat with campden.

Buuuut, I've always used this same water supply and always filtered, and my IPAs used to taste totally normal. I'm totally open to the idea that water chemistry plays a role in whatever this problem is, but I really don't think it's as simple as a water chemistry problem alone given that when I've brewed the same beer twice with the same water supply a few months apart, the two batches came out RADICALLY different, like in no way were they even remotely recognizable as the same beer. And also this off flavor isn't some subtle strange thing, it's a flavor that totally dominates these beers and makes them unrecognizable as IPAs. So whatever's going on is a problem that goes beyond the normal range of water chemistry flaws. But the chemistry may very well have a role.

Also I don't know if I said this clearly in my OP, but these beers change flavor over their lifespan. Some have tasted totally normal when I took gravity samples. Some were normal at bottling time, some had this flavor already then (before they'd left primary fermentation bucket/BB); all have this flavor by the time they're bottle conditioned.

Also I don't know if I said this clearly in my OP, but these beers change flavor over their lifespan. Some have tasted totally normal when I took gravity samples. Some were normal at bottling time, some had this flavor already then (before they'd left primary fermentation bucket/BB); all have this flavor by the time they're bottle conditioned.

It does sound like a water issue, even though you don't agree! :D

Is it possible that your water company has seasonal variations? I know where I live that run off in the spring means more chlorine added to the water, but my city doesn't use chloramine.

I'd try one batch of only reverse osmosis water, adding 5 grams and calcium chloride and 5 grams of gypsum. I know that is an expense- but if that fixes the issue then you know that it's the water. (And based on what you've said, I feel that it is).

My municapility draws from seven different wells so I'm assuming that my water can be drastically different from one batch to the next dependi g on what well is producing. I would try a batch with some plain old store bought spring water... nothing added... and see if you have the same issue. Dark beers can hide a lot of issues but ipas are typically less malty and may be more likely to reveal problems.

FWIW, i had a very similar problem, except that i only got a strange chemically taste once i had burped and not before.
I noticed it mostly on hoppier styles But occasionaly i noticed it in lighter styles.
My water is fairly hard, and on certain days i can taste chlorine more than other days.
I started using camden tabs in my water and it has made a big difference so maybe try that

I had a similar problem with my hoppy beers; no issue with browns, belgians, etc. Tried looking at all angles, really frustrating. For me it ended up being hop type and quantity.

After ruling out water chem, pH, oxidation, fining, etc, I did some single hop beers. I caught the flavor (earthy, vegetal) when using amarillo and ahtanum in significant quantities. It disappeared for the mosaic and citra versions. It must be a compound in certain hop varieties that I'm sensitive to.

My wife couldn't taste it but my dad could. I also started noticing the flavor in a few commercial beers, though not as intense as in the homebrew. It was a relief to figure it out. I can finally brew the hoppy beers I love.

I, too, think you should do a batch with 100% RO treated with CACL and gypsum. RO is only $.39/gallon at my local grocery.

The other idea I have is oxidation. Your hoppy beers might be the only ones you are dry hopping, and the extra handling could introduce some unwanted oxygen.

AlexF,

Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread? I too have had a similar, if not the same, problem with my hoppy bears. I'd like to know if you've found any solution?

I, too, think you should do a batch with 100% RO treated with CACL and gypsum. RO is only $.39/gallon at my local grocery.

The other idea I have is oxidation. Your hoppy beers might be the only ones you are dry hopping, and the extra handling could introduce some unwanted oxygen.

Re-reading this post 2 months later, I had another idea: brew an extract batch of IPA.

I would also like to see a few of OP's IPA hop schedules.

I still think water is the culprit.

+1 for water.

You mentioned earlier that you used the same water source for 2 batches but it came out radically different. This is not unusual. Municipal water can vary greatly in its chemical makeup.

You need to brew using store bought distilled water. You have adjusted many other variables, but not this one. It's pointless to continue to try to analyze deeper issues until you have eliminated water as a cause.

I'm working through this exact same problem and I'm thinking it's a pH issue as well. I was using very good lab-grade strips that calibrate well to a pH meter reading (in the lab) with the solutions I tested, so I figured the ~5.4 reading I was getting was right.

Then I came across a lot of work that Kai has done with pH strips that shows that, for whatever reason, they consistently read about .3 units low in wort. That means that your mash pH is more likely in the 5.6-5.7 range when your paper is telling you it's in range.

It's not too high for conversion, but it's too high going into the kettle to make good hoppy beers with. I'm about to re-brew my last pale ale that turned to garbage but shoot for a pH strip reading of closer to 5 and see what happens.

Did anyone who posted in this theead solved this issue? I have the same problem.

It makes sense to get a grassy flavor in IPAs since you are using large amounts of hop. A cure for the grassy flavor is using less hops with a lower AA. Also using high amount of american pellet hops can give a grassy flavor. Do not dry hop for long time. One week is a pretty average time frame. Another cause is oxidation. When racking rack quietly the quieter the better. The band aid flavor is a different thing. It's also known as Phenolic flavors. Band aid medicinal are typical cause by wild yeast sanitation problems. But since you said you sanitize like crazzy another cause might be over crushing grain and or sparring with water that is one 170 degrees or hotter. I personally like to use whole hop leaf to dry hop or late hop addition they do absorb more wort and beer at dry hop and might be hard to remove from glass carboy but the flavor is un comparable.

joselima

Any news on this? I'm having the same issue. Shouldn't be a traditional water chemistry problem as I have my water profile, and everything was locked in. I know its not just light versus dark beers, as I just brewed a simple Belgian single which tastes fantastic. I even accidentally topped off that beer with a bit of untreated tap water, which is pretty heavy in chloramines.

The only thing I can add is that my first APA had the taste and was brewed with untreated tap water (Philly). My second APA was brewed with treated tap water (camped tablet, some gypsum in the boil) and had the taste. I brewed a hoppy summer beer (basically an APA, including a dry hop) with bottled spring water and the flavor was absent.

Could it be the hops reacting with some other compound in tap water? Was never good at chemistry, but fluoride or an element that isn't traditional looked at carefully?

I may have to do a double brew day, one with bottled water and one with treated tap water.

Back