Off flavor help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedge_87

Reaction score
So we have been brewing for about a year or so and have made some pretty damn tasty beers. We almost always end up within 1-2 points of or SG and about the same on our FG. Here lately we've been having an off flavor that is kind of hard to define. It taste kind of spicy, and citrusy all at the same time. As the beer ages in the kegs it tends to mellow out and the beer starts tasty really good about the time we get the last couple of pints out of it. At first I thought it was simply hop character because one of main brew we keep on tap all the time is a NE style IPA with loads of American hops but Ive been picking it up in other beers too. We have been capturing our yeast for the last few batches. Could this be the issue?
We have just been using s-05 and try and use it for 3-4 batches. We have a couple of old fridges set up as fermentation chambers and set them on 62 degrees with the temp probe taped to the glass. We also try and keg and brew the next batch on the same day and just harvest from the yeast cake for the next batch. If for some reason we have to save the yeast for later I always make a starter. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Might be fermenting with SA-05 too cool. Bump your fermentation temperature up to 66° to 68°F with SA-05.

+1 on upping the temp a bit. I generally use Nottingham or Safale 5 and ferment around 66-70 with good results. 5 has a big range but seems to me it does better a bit higher.

I wouldn't necessarily define off-flavor as spicy/citrusy, it may just be unexpected flavor. If it's like green apples then your beer didn't finish and could be due to under-attenuation. Since you are fermenting at the cool end you may need to either raise the temperature or give it more time to finish. Several days at the same SG is a good indication that fermentation has completed. Also, since you are brewing over a previous yeast cake, I would rule out under-pitching the yeast, although this could still be a possibility.

Not sure if it's the same thing you're getting, but one time I fermented with S-05 at too low of a temperature and the result had an almost saison-like character to it. It wasn't a bad beer, just not that I was shooting for.

Thanks for all the advise everybody. Sorry I didn't respond sooner been pretty busy over the long weekend and haven't had a chance to log in. I never thought about fermenting too cool! I always thought you wanted to be in the lower end of the yeasts "range" on temperature. We have a batch going right now. Would it be a good idea to raise the temp a little on that batch to 66-68?

Thanks for all the advise everybody. Sorry I didn't respond sooner been pretty busy over the long weekend and haven't had a chance to log in. I never thought about fermenting too cool! I always thought you wanted to be in the lower end of the yeasts "range" on temperature. We have a batch going right now. Would it be a good idea to raise the temp a little on that batch to 66-68?

How far into the fermentation are you? The bulk of the temperature-related yeast flavors in the final beer are generated in the very early stages of the process, over the course of the first 48-72 hours or so. Beyond that, bumping the temperature isn't going to do much other than maybe speed up the clean up phase.

mattdee1

We brewed last Sunday so 9 days in. I guess we'll just let it go then and see what we get. The last two batches I primed in the kegs and they sat in my garage in the mid 70's for about week after kegging cause I didn't have room in the ferm chamber for them or any space in the kegorator (first world problems). Still had the same flavor though.

67F seems to me to be the optimal temp for US-05.

Back