Off Flavor from kegged beer - Beverage lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been having issues from off flavors in my kegged beers. I think it is in my beverage lines. I back flush and recirc BLC through my beverage lines between each keg.

How often are folks changing their beer lines on their Kegerators/Keezers?
What is a good brand of tubing that doesn't have plastic or vinyl flavor from the tuning or that doesn't accept flavors from beer?
Anyone else have a similar issue?

I had a bad bitter aftertaste in my beers for a while that turned out to be the lines. They were a year and a half old, and even though I cleaned them regularly, they went bad somehow. I replaced them and the bad taste was gone. These were just plain pvc lines.

I have since switched to EVABarrier tubing which is supposed to be flavor neutral. I'm happy with it so far, but I've only been using it a few months. I really like the duotight quick connect fittings that are used with EVABarrier. It makes it quick and easy to change lines. I've also switched to EVABarrier for my gas lines.

In the future, I think I'll replace the lines annually.

Another big vote for EVAbarrier tubing. Compared to conventional solid PVC tubing (ala the ubiquitous Bevlex 200) EVAbarrier tubing is revolutionary wrt gas permeability while still being crazy flexible. And it's available in 4mm ID which can cut down on line lengths (and the amount of beer held therein)...

Cheers!

Back