off flavor and slow ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionicbrew

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right area.
I brewed up an AG hefe(SG-1.046) and an AG pale ale(SG-1.052) 2 weeks ago. both using harvested yeast- Wyeast weihenstepan 2nd gen, and wyeast scottish ale 3rd gen.

both took off well with blowoffs, but are still bubbling away thought the airlock 2 weeks later. the PA is down to 1.011 and tastes about right. the hefe is only at 1.022 and very cidery. both were fermented in a fridge kept at 67-70*. extra thermometer confirms temps. if the hefe got contaminated, I would think it should be fermented down better.

I haven't tossed it. it doesn't taste nasty, but is definitely not right. this is one of my regular brews. I can clarify anything needed. any thought? I am totally lost and never had this happen.

edit: the hefe yeast was harvested 2.5 months before. 6-22-10.

yeah, that's too slow of a ferment, so either you didn't pitch enough, or the yeast was not as healthy as you hoped. stressed yeast loves to throw acetylaldehyde (cider/green apple), so it makes sense. Not an infection or contamination, just stressed yeast.

thanks. I have heard that Weihenstepan is notorious for that(not lasting long after harvest). I was hoping that I caught it soon enough, but apparently not. maybe I'll pitch some fresh yeast and hope it cleans up the acetylaldehyde.

thanks for the help!

Back