Irish Stout Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try to have one gallon of the five of this ready for St. Patty's day to serve from a 1 gallon polypin (close to cask serving), the rest will be put aside to age in bottles. To try to cut down time on readiness, I plan on holding back 1/2-2/3 of the roasted barley and acid malt until the last 10 minutes of the mash, or perhaps cold steeping 1/2 of it.

Either way, it will probably be served half and half as a black and tan with a homebrewed English pale, so it should cut down on some of that sharpness. Anyone else have ideas for pushing this one a bit?

I brewed this a week ago and can't wait to try it. But I have a couple of question that has been bothering me. I batch sparge and I hit my first sparge temp of 152 for 60 min. But my 2nd sparge was low at about 149-150 for 20 min. Should I have done the second one at about 170 like other brews I have done? How will the lower temp effect the taste?

I just tapped my keg of this beer saturday for a little St. Paddy's day get together we had. I gotta say, this beer is fantastic! Definitely one of my best efforts. The taste has nice, smooth hints of chocolate and roast, very very well balanced overall.

It was also my first time doing a cold steep for the dark grains. I steeped the dark grains for about 36 hours in about 2 quarts of RO water, then added to the boil with 15 minutes remaining.

It's my first time brewing this style, and this beer, and it really turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this last night as a demo to a group of guys.
I made some substitutions on hops and some of the flaked barley ( I only had 1#)

6.5# Breiss Ashburne Mild Malt
1# Flaked Barley
1# Breiss Black Prince Debittered Roasted Barley
2 oz acidulated malt

2 oz Challenger Hops at 60
S05 yeast slurry

Excited to see how it turns out
thanks Biermuncher

I have brewed this up with the 300L Roasted Barley and it came out a light brown color does anyone have any suggestions to darken this up before i bottle it?? can i add any steeped grains then boil them for a short period cool and add them to secondary with this to get a better color w/o much flavor addition? Or should I just call this a Guinness Dirty Blonde recipe of sorts?

you could try that, making like a concentrated tincture of weak, dark wort. I dont see any reason why it would work.

In the future, id try doing a mashout. I do this every brew to set the sugar composition of the wort and it really heklps get all the color out of the grains for dark beers.

Anyone tried this recipe with safale 04? I don't think my wlp004 is good as Its about 2 years past the best before date

I only use 04 and have brewed this half dozen times and tastes great every time. Never use wlp004 but mine always come out great.

Folks. My LHBS as well as the one I order from (Beergrains.com) only carry 'Acidulated Malt'. I assume Acid Malt is just used to shorten the name? Don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Thanks!

Seeing multiple answers here so what is the popular opinion? BeerSmith wants 2.3 vols for carb level. Opinions and experiences?

Also - would you use Fermentis US-05 American Dry Ale Yeast or Fermentis S04 Dry Ale Yeast

I actually go about 1.5, but that's where I like it for bottle conditioning. If you're kegging it could well be quite different.

Can someone recommend the proper starter size? 'Massive' to someone like me who is new to the scene doesn't give me much of a reference point. Also - brew day is Sunday Feb 7 - preparing the starter on the night of Feb 5 is OK or would you do the night of Feb 4?

I have the WL yeast and Light DME on hand. 5 gallon batch.

Is the 1/2 cup DME and 2 cups of water the way to go here?

Thanks all

Here you go:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

This will calculate the starter size for you.

As far as timing, for a saturday brew session, I like to start my starter wednesday night. This gives 48 hours on the plate (recommended by Chris White), then friday night I'll cold crash my starter until I start chilling my wort.

At that time, I decant the starter and put it back on my stir plate until I'm ready to pitch.

I hastily went to my LHBS to grab some Starsan but decided to grab a recipe... I followed what I thought was a scaled down version of the original recipe:

64.9 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3

10.8 1.00 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575

21.6 2.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2

2.7 0.25 lbs. Sauer(acid) Malt 1.035 2

But turns out the person posted this because he added too much acid malt.... I too added .25lb for a 5.5 gallon recipe. I couldn't find whether this person recipe turned out. I'm considering just tossing the grain and grabbing some more prior to brew day. Thoughts? Much appreciated and lesson learned.

OK I've dug around and I'm just going to go with it, as a few sources made me confident that the amount of acid malt I used won't adversely impact the end product. I will be cold steeping the roasted barley to see what impact that has. Cheers!

I added 0.25 lbs by accident about 14 months ago. At first I think it was a little harsh. But that taste died down over time. A couple months to 4 months in the bottle, and it was great. In the fall, I did a blind taste test with a buddy. It was between mine and guiness and I picked mine. Just give it time.

I'll be brewing this next weekend. I plan to cold steep my dark grains and pull off 0.5 gal of wort after the mash and sour it with lacto culture, then pasteurize it and add it back to the primary once the krausen falls. I'll report back on how my souring process went around St. Patty's day!

I'll be brewing this next weekend. I plan to cold steep my dark grains and pull off 0.5 gal of wort after the mash and sour it with lacto culture, then pasteurize it and add it back to the primary once the krausen falls. I'll report back on how my souring process went around St. Patty's day!

Be sure to use enough grain to extract the flavors! I've read to use as much as 2-3 times the amount you'd normally use. Though this comes with no experience so take that for what it's worth. Cheers

Be sure to use enough grain to extract the flavors! I've read to use as much as 2-3 times the amount you'd normally use. Though this comes with no experience so take that for what it's worth. Cheers

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look into that before I start.

5.5 Gallons into the fermenter /winning.

Question about the temperature. I'm trying a swamp cooler right now and wondering if I should be holding the temperature to 64 or a bit lower (to make up for the fermentation heat).

Cheers,

Fellow Brewers,

Life happens and I'll be right smack dab into moving into my new house on Feb 28 when the secondary 2 weeks will be up (moving to secondary this Sunday Feb 14). Are there any issues with the beer staying in the secondary for up to 1 more week?

Fellow Brewers,

Life happens and I'll be right smack dab into moving into my new house on Feb 28 when the secondary 2 weeks will be up (moving to secondary this Sunday Feb 14). Are there any issues with the beer staying in the secondary for up to 1 more week?

none at all. You can bulk age for months in a secondary as long as you keep it covered and oxygen free. I would even say that a secondary is unnecessary for this brew.

So after reading through this whole thread, it looks like the cold steeped grains took too much roasty flavor away and simply mashing the roasted barley as normal resulted in too much roast. After researching other cold steeping threads, I'm doubling the roasted barley and leaving it in to steep for 48 hours at room temps then tossing it in for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Hopefully this should provide the smooth roast character that I'm after.

So here's my plan. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch, so my recipe is

5.5 lb of Maris Otter
2.5 lb of flaked barley
2 lb of roasted barley cold steeped for ~48 hrs and added to the end of the boil

1.5 oz of EKG @ 60 min

pull off 0.5 gallons of wort after the boil and sour with lacto cultures, pasteurize, and add it back into the primary fermentor after a week.

Does anyone have any pointers on this recipe? like possibly adding a small amount of the roasted barley directly to the mash?

Ok, so brew day was a bit of a cluster, but I got through it. Cold steeping the full 2 lb of roasted barley made a liquid that looked like used motor oil and it turned my wort BLACK when I added it, but the taste was definitely not over-roasty. So I think this technique works for reaching the really dark color without the astringency.

I pulled off a liter and I'm attempting to sour it using yogurt cultures, but I don't see any sign of pellicle after 12 hours, so I hope its working.

I also overshot my gravity and ended up with 1.047, so my efficiency was in the high 80% range this time, which was a nice change for me. I'll report back on the finished product in a few weeks!

I never had success trying to naturally sour beer to put into the boil or otherwise to get that Guinness twang. I've had good success using Acidulated malt at 1% of my malt bill in the mash. This gives my Guinness clone just a hint of that twang.

Ok, so brew day was a bit of a cluster, but I got through it. Cold steeping the full 2 lb of roasted barley made a liquid that looked like used motor oil and it turned my wort BLACK when I added it, but the taste was definitely not over-roasty. So I think this technique works for reaching the really dark color without the astringency.

I pulled off a liter and I'm attempting to sour it using yogurt cultures, but I don't see any sign of pellicle after 12 hours, so I hope its working.

I also overshot my gravity and ended up with 1.047, so my efficiency was in the high 80% range this time, which was a nice change for me. I'll report back on the finished product in a few weeks!

I never had success trying to naturally sour beer to put into the boil or otherwise to get that Guinness twang. I've had good success using Acidulated malt at 1% of my malt bill in the mash. This gives my Guinness clone just a hint of that twang.

So far so good on the souring, I've got .5 gallons of wort, inoculated with yogurt cultures and some grain, that smells like sour funky silage. It doesn't smell like puke, so no buteryc acid yet, which is good.

So far so good on the souring, I've got .5 gallons of wort, inoculated with yogurt cultures and some grain, that smells like sour funky silage. It doesn't smell like puke, so no buteryc acid yet, which is good.

The sour addition has a nice pellicle formed, but it smells very slightly acetic, so I'm debating pasteurizing it at this point to stop any growth of acetobacter, then tasting it. If it's not terrible I'll just pitch it into the beer, but I've never done souring before so I don't know if I should just be patient and leave it alone or not.

Anyone here have experience with this?

The sour addition has a nice pellicle formed, but it smells very slightly acetic, so I'm debating pasteurizing it at this point to stop any growth of acetobacter, then tasting it. If it's not terrible I'll just pitch it into the beer, but I've never done souring before so I don't know if I should just be patient and leave it alone or not.

Anyone here have experience with this?

Since I'm talking to myself, I might as well keep updating on my progress with the souring :)

I transferred to a vessel with zero headspace just now. I didn't realize that you only want lactobacillis' anaerobic fermentation products so the less headspace the better. During the transfer I tasted this mess and its actually not bad. There's absolutely zero acetic taste and its nicely tart. I'll just let it keep going for a few more days before I pasteurize and dump it in the fermentor

Since I'm talking to myself, I might as well keep updating on my progress with the souring :)

I transferred to a vessel with zero headspace just now. I didn't realize that you only want lactobacillis' anaerobic fermentation products so the less headspace the better. During the transfer I tasted this mess and its actually not bad. There's absolutely zero acetic taste and its nicely tart. I'll just let it keep going for a few more days before I pasteurize and dump it in the fermentor

I've been following you! Keep the updates coming and be sure to post final, final results!

So I read BierMuncher's third post on this thread, "I'd imagine that changing the grains ratio from 65% Pale, 25% Flaked Barley and 10% Roasted Barley to 70%, 25%, 5% would tame down and mellow the flavor", and decided to try just that. I put it into beersmith and my SRM was low. I heard on a podcast that you can take a coffee grinder to some chocolate malt and then add that to the top of your grain bed at the end of your mash and recirculate over the top of it to gain color without the flavor from the chocolate. Just kegged this beer last night. Taste is spot on, even this young, however the color is brown. Suspended yeast may be causing some of this however I am doubting it will darken up much more that it is now. I have read on other threads that using briess roasted barley, which I did, isn't the greatest for color. I am contemplating adding steeped roasted barley or some other dark specialty grain to the keg. Any suggestions or advice? I will try to get a picture up of my brown guinness. Here is my grist. The chocolate malt was utilized as described above.

6 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 65.8 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 23.5 %
7.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 4.7 %
7.2 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 4.7 %
2.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.3 %

So I read BierMuncher's third post on this thread, "I'd imagine that changing the grains ratio from 65% Pale, 25% Flaked Barley and 10% Roasted Barley to 70%, 25%, 5% would tame down and mellow the flavor", and decided to try just that. I put it into beersmith and my SRM was low. I heard on a podcast that you can take a coffee grinder to some chocolate malt and then add that to the top of your grain bed at the end of your mash and recirculate over the top of it to gain color without the flavor from the chocolate. Just kegged this beer last night. Taste is spot on, even this young, however the color is brown. Suspended yeast may be causing some of this however I am doubting it will darken up much more that it is now. I have read on other threads that using briess roasted barley, which I did, isn't the greatest for color. I am contemplating adding steeped roasted barley or some other dark specialty grain to the keg. Any suggestions or advice? I will try to get a picture up of my brown guinness. Here is my grist. The chocolate malt was utilized as described above.

6 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 65.8 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 23.5 %
7.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 4.7 %
7.2 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 4.7 %
2.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 1.3 %

I used steeped barley and it's black as midnight and almost no roast flavor

Back