Odd smelling fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
I just Brewed a honey wheat ale yesterday and checked the carboy a bit ago, and there is a downright weird smell coming from it. I'm not sure if it's a possible contamination, or just the way this yeast (wyeast 1010 American wheat) ferments but would like to know what everyone else's experiences were and if this is normal. This is my first wheat ale.

I had 4 lbs pale wheat and 4 lbs 2 row as my malt with 1 lb of honey.

I don't have experience with 1010, but a lot of the wheat specific yeast strains tend to produce a sulfur-y smell that can take a little time to dissipate.

Ok, that's what I'm smelling then so I guess that's normal. Wow, amazing to think good beer (hopefully?) comes out of that haha

I use the 1010 American Yeast for all my wheat beers and yes it does put out sulfur y smell, but it makes some darn good wheat beer. Did you need a blowoff tube on your wheat beer. I have noticed that it can have an explosive fermentation.

Latest posts

Back