Odd Keg Behavior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
Last weekend I bottled a 12 pack from my keg using my Blichmann Beer Gun and had some odd behavior.

I did this from 3 different kegs and only had this result from the 2nd one I did, so it's not like something happened to the gun at the end since it worked on #3.

The beer was coming out VERY foamy and the hose had tons of air that you could visibly see when it was passing from the keg through the gun.

Now if I hook it up to the tap, I get the same result. Very foamy beer.

Here's my question (finally right :)
Do you think this beer has become infected somehow? The carbonation is exactly the same as the other 2 kegs and they are very close in age since they were brewed within 2 weeks of eachother.

Is the bottled beer worthless with all that foam or do you think it's ok? I capped them with O2 absorbing crowns.

It's an odd thing that I've only seen on this keg, but I've only done about 6 kegs thus far in my short homebrew career.

Thanks,
Jay

If it was infected I would expect some off taste.... sort-a like a MILD I brewed recently that seems to be getting a bit watery... I have to drink it fast.

In your case maybe it continued to ferment following placement in the Keg...

I would disconect it from the gas, vent it, and then pour out a pitcher... I would expect that it should mellow out by the end of the pitcher. (drink the beer)

Continue serving this way until the beer pours the way you want it too and then hook the gas back up.

This does not really diagnos the problem but it solves it.

DPB

Check the "out" post o-ring. If it's compromised, you'll get gas injected straight into the beer stream.

Check the "out" post o-ring. If it's compromised, you'll get gas injected straight into the beer stream.

Now that you mention this it reminds me that there have been times when I disconnected the beer line and I had to push on the center of the valve to get it to stop "leaking".

I've never taken these kegs apart, but sounds like I need too and give them all a good maintenance cleaning.

Should I be worried about the bottles that I filled with this foamy beer will be less than the quality they should be when opened?

Latest posts

Back