Octoberfest sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy2472

Reaction score
Brewed my first lager an Octoberfest extract kit from adventures of home brew. Born on date 9/21 kegged 11/2. Everything went smoothly. Only hiccup was temp was closer to 40s. Fermentation appeared to be normal. But the beer is sweet, really sweet. Tastes like I added sugar which I did not. Any ideas why?

Brewed my first lager an Octoberfest extract kit from adventures of home brew. Born on date 9/21 kegged 11/2. Everything went smoothly. Only hiccup was temp was closer to 40s. Fermentation appeared to be normal. But the beer is sweet, really sweet. Tastes like I added sugar which I did not. Any ideas why?

There are only two things I can think of that would cause excessive sweetness. The first is incomplete fermentation. Can you give your OG and FG readings?

The second is underbittering. If the beer is underbittered it would taste sweet, since the hops bitterness balances the sweet malt.

Og 1.054 I don't have final gravity reading dropped hydrometer and cracked it as I was carrying too much stuff up from basement. Used perle bittering hops

Og 1.054 I don't have final gravity reading dropped hydrometer and cracked it as I was carrying too much stuff up from basement. Used perle bittering hops

That's unfortunate, but a hydrometer is like $6 and worth its weight in gold. Without a final gravity reading, there is no way to know if the beer was stuck or finished, and so no way to know why it's sweet. A hydrometer reading at kegging is crucial.

Yes I know already ordered another but broke literally while carrying it up to take reading. All signs pointed to Fermentation occurred and I thought it was done given the amount of time. But after reading your post I think you are right it would explain it. Thanks for your help.

Pour a sample from your keg and let it sit out on the counter for a while to degas and then check the gravity when you get your replacement hydrometer. How much Perle did you use, when did you add it to the boil, and what was the alpha acid % of the hops (if you know)?

7 hub perle and yes at boil. If finial gravity is off can I degas and throw yeast in and let it sit for a few more weeks. The sample I pulled last night wasn't bad it was a desert style octoberfest. Not what I was going for but I am sure I can get rid of when my son comes home from college. To his friends they will it is an artisan beer. But if I can save it that's the way I would prefer to go.

Latest posts

Back