OCD or just weird preferences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so clear now. I really did need it spelled out for me.

OK, here's another one of mine. When I turn the TV on, I have a list of channels that are regulars. I like them all about the same but I scroll through them in a specific order. I never skip around and it's always the same. I'm not sure if that's a preference or weird but I just can't seem to deviate from the pattern.

I realized one today. if I'm dropping a deuce at work, I have to take out one ear plug: the left one. I tried taking out the right one & couldn't crap. I can drop with no ear plugs, but if I'm wearing them then the left one has to be out.

I didn't want to end up in this thread. But it's been killing me not to post this (OCD, perhaps?).

I have to sleep with the pillow opening to my right (if I'm sleeping on my back). I can't go to sleep if it's not to the right side.

I didn't want to end up in this thread. But it's been killing me not to post this (OCD, perhaps?).

I have to sleep with the pillow opening to my right (if I'm sleeping on my back). I can't go to sleep if it's not to the right side.

Daminit, I thought I was on the outside looking in....but if this is OCD then I'm in the cage with the rest of the freaks :p

same with me

also, the BigHair likes her side of the topsheet tucked in, I can't stand that. I gotta be able to slide right out of bed and not get slowed by a tucked sheet.

I'm sure this is from my days in the navy, gotta get out of the rack as quick as possible if they call GQ or abandon ship

navy rack is also why I don't roll over in bed if I need to switch sides. I spin

Daminit, I thought I was on the outside looking in....but if this is OCD then I'm in the cage with the rest of the freaks :p

You're right, originally it was that way so that feathers that came out of the pillow would fall off the bed, not towards the center.

Just for fun I like to arrange this the opposite way that it was on the bed the last time. I also replace the TP roll opposite of the way it is on the roller. If someone else wants it a specific way it 's their problem.

The toilet roll thing from the first page should be international law; one can't pull as well when it's backwards, and the roll's far more likely to need adjustment in that orientation, especially with enclosed dispensers.

When I was a kid, I went through a phase of avoiding stepping on cracks at all cost. Not because I was afraid of doing so, but because it gave me something to do while walking.

Around fourth grade I developed a system:

1 - The right foot should avoid cracks.
2 - The left foot is encouraged to step on as many cracks as possible. Not because it's good to step on cracks, but because Left sucks and Right rules.
3 - If the right foot steps on a crack, it can be nullified by the left foot stepping on an equal or greater number of cracks within ten seconds.
4 - Being the first foot to step over a crack is beneficial. Naturally, since left is the villain here, I try to avoid allowing it that satisfaction.
5 - When cycling, the first foot to pass over a crack is considered as having stepped on it, so it is preferable for the dastardly left foot to be in front of the right when passing over cracks.
6 - Floors with too many cracks (typically floors with small tiles) are generally exempt from the rules and can be treated as if there were no cracks on them. Floors with floorboards wide enough for my feet (like in my classroom) get some minor recognition, but are generally ignored.

Yes, I'm 29 and I still follow the rules far more often than is reasonable. I regularly change my stride or my pedaling rhythm on my bike in accordance with these rules. At the same time, it's more habit than compulsion.

I don't have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I have Obsessive Compulsive Tendencies.

The toilet roll thing from the first page should be international law; one can't pull as well when it's backwards, and the roll's far more likely to need adjustment in that orientation, especially with enclosed dispensers.

When I was a kid, I went through a phase of avoiding stepping on cracks at all cost. Not because I was afraid of doing so, but because it gave me something to do while walking.

2 - The left foot is encouraged to step on as many cracks as possible. Not because it's good to step on cracks, but because Left sucks and Right rules.
3 - If the right foot steps on a crack, it can be nullified by the left foot stepping on an equal or greater number of cracks within ten seconds.
4 - Being the first foot to step over a crack is beneficial. Naturally, since left is the villain here, I try to avoid allowing it that satisfaction.
5 - When cycling, the first foot to pass over a crack is considered as having stepped on it, so it is preferable for the dastardly left foot to be in front of the right when passing over cracks.
6 - Floors with too many cracks (typically floors with small tiles) are generally exempt from the rules and can be treated as if there were no cracks on them. Floors with floorboards wide enough for my feet (like in my classroom) get some minor recognition, but are generally ignored.

Yes, I'm 29 and I still follow the rules far more often than is reasonable. I regularly change my stride or my pedaling rhythm on my bike in accordance with these rules. At the same time, it's more habit than compulsion.

I don't have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, I have Obsessive Compulsive Tendencies.

You don't happen to work fo the Ministry of Silly Walks do you? :D (One of my favorites)

Last edited by a moderator:

This reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years.

In my elementary school there were multi-colored tiles in the halls and whenever I was walking somewhere I would keep track of how many tiles of each color I had stepped on with each foot. I made sure when I reached my destination that both feet were equal with each other in the number of each color they had stepped on. I can only imagine what I looked like walking around everywhere, head down, concentrating furiously, hopping from tile to tile.

I have a thing for counting. I count off seconds between fermenter bubbles to guage whether things are about where they should be, count off seconds while watering plants to make sure I'm giving them enough, count steps when walking from one place to another, etc. I often find myself with a subconscious count still going after I've finished whatever it was I was checking on.

Avoiding stepping on cracks/lines/colored tiles...I think anyone, even adults, who doesn't do this at least once in awhile is probably odd. Or, if not odd then probably just no fun at all.

I have some weird preferences that my wife considers a mild form of OCD.

For example: I prefer to have the toilet paper roll be installed so that it flows over the top rather than being pulled from underneath. She has no care at all so, when my wife replaces the roll, she puts no thought into it. Just puts in on. If it's not the way I like it, I take it off and reverse it.

What are some of your preferences that some people may find "uncommon"?

You don't have ODC. Your are just RIGHT! It goes OVER, not under.

I don't think I have OCD, but really hate clutter and things out of place. I love to cook and when I do (like when I brew) I'm neat about it. I get all my supplies out and begin to work. That probably comes from years of working in the restaurant biz and doing prep work. You don't start a recipe and go grab one thing, add it, then go grab the next. You get all your supplies together then begin to work. I'm the same way now at home. I also clean up as I go and will put things away after I use them. This is also a product of working in restaurants, but also because I live in a condo with a very small kitchen. Space is at a premium.

BUT... my wife... god bless her, she's a good woman, but MAN is she messy. She opens cabinets and doesn't close them. She'll open a bag of flour, pull a cup then let the bag sit opened, taking up space. She won't think to fill the flour container. She'll just leave the bag open on the counter and maybe put it away at a later time. She used to use a cutting board to cut something unsanitary like chicken, wipe it off, then start cutting vegetables on the same cutting board without cleaning it. I had to stop that! The list goes on and on, but generally revolves around her being very messy and clutz.

Ok, so maybe that is OCD. I'm ok with it. Now she knows the kitchen is my area. Stay out or don't eat :)

Speaking of money, here's another one of my preferences that my wife considers weird, but I think it's weird not to do it.
I make sure my bills are arranged in my wallet from largest to smallest. $20, $10, $5, $1 (for example)
They also must all be facing forward and all bent or folded edges must be straightened out. This doesn't just apply to my wallet only, I do it anytime I'm stacking bills together- handing over cash for payment, bank deposit, etc.

Just stumbled upon this thread:

• Same with Wesley on the wallet, but bills go small to large.
  • I don't mind the sand stuff, but if I have sunscreen on....having to put on a t-shirt before showering might be one of my least favorite things ever.
  • I'll unload the entire dishwasher for efficient dish placement.
  • Leftover food must not be thrown out (within reason). My wife doesn't finish her fish at dinner, I'm eating that for breakfast the next day.
  • Bottles of water should always be finished, I mean you spent $2 on freakin' water!
  • Speaking of water, I leave the Brita pitcher on the counter, drives my wife nuts but I only drink room temp water.
  • Clothes hangers go in the 'over' position, clothes should all face the same direction.
  • Double-knot your shoelaces, anything less is reckless.

Most of mine have been mentioned
Can't get lotion on my hands -check
I'm specific about the dishwasher but in a different way. Each meals worth of utensils have their own spot breakfast, lunch, and dinner. then cooking utensils fill the last two. Plates load right to left. Coffee. Cups go top left other glasses go top right. Big stuff goes bottom back.
I have to have everything in its correct pocket wallet, knife, keys, and phone.

This one will probably throw you all... I CANNOT put the carton of eggs back in the fridge with an odd number remaining. I fry up an egg each for my wife and me every morning. If she has cooked anything requiring one egg The next morning I will scramble three eggs and divide them evening so we are back to even. And don't even get me started on the 1 1/2 dozen cartons

navy rack is also why I don't roll over in bed if I need to switch sides. I spin

Last few nights, I've realized that I do the same thing. When I "roll over" in bed, I spin more than anything. I turn over but end up in the same place so I don't wrap myself up in covers or pull them off of my wife. :)

When I take a shower it goes shampoo/conditioner, face wash, then body wash. Same procedure with drying. God didn't invent gravity for no reason. Use it! My wife does not follow these rules and she does not understand why I have to take a finish shower after....

I have a strange habit of counting steps. Anytime I go up or down stairs I have to count how many steps there are.....call me crazy

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh my God, somebody knows part of my plight. I MUST count any and all steps I surmount. I also freak out if it's an odd number of steps. I HAVE to start a flight of stairs on my left foot, and end it on my right foot. If it's an odd number of stairs, I have an internal panic attack and skip the last step. I told my buddies from back in high school this a few months ago and they said "That's what that was." Apparently that weird panic and skipping of the last step on odd-numbered flights was REALLY noticeable, but nobody could ever pin down what it was.

Oh my God, somebody knows part of my plight. I MUST count any and all steps I surmount. I also freak out if it's an odd number of steps. I HAVE to start a flight of stairs on my left foot, and end it on my right foot. If it's an odd number of stairs, I have an internal panic attack and skip the last step. I told my buddies from back in high school this a few months ago and they said "That's what that was." Apparently that weird panic and skipping of the last step on odd-numbered flights was REALLY noticeable, but nobody could ever pin down what it was.

My wife can't tolerate any negative amount of anything. If I turn the volume on the TV to 17 she will flip out!

I have to sleep with my feet covered by the blankets so the monsters can't get me.

No kidding. It's some weird holdover from childhood. Don't know why. I was terrified of monsters under the bed to the point that when getting into bed I would have to take a running shot and jump in so my feet never came close to the area under my bed.

Funny story...I actually knocked myself out once because I was a bit over-zealous and overshot my bed. Crashed into the backboard, and woke up the next morning on the floor with a pounding headache.

As long as my feet are covered, I can be butt naked with every other inch exposed and sleep just fine, but let one bit of my feet be out from under the covers and I will have the most horrible nightmares until I wake up and get them under the blankets.

I have to sleep with my feet covered by the blankets so the monsters can't get me.

No kidding. It's some weird holdover from childhood. Don't know why. I was terrified of monsters under the bed to the point that when getting into bed I would have to take a running shot and jump in so my feet never came close to the area under my bed.

Funny story...I actually knocked myself out once because I was a bit over-zealous and overshot my bed. Crashed into the backboard, and woke up the next morning on the floor with a pounding headache.

As long as my feet are covered, I can be butt naked with every other inch exposed and sleep just fine, but let one bit of my feet be out from under the covers and I will have the most horrible nightmares until I wake up and get them under the blankets.

OCD? no. Weird preference? no.

freakishly whacked? yes

and I thought I was weird with having to wear t-shirts with a crew-neck to bed because I can't stand the feeling of my chest hair tickling my chin

I only have one OCD like quirk.

I add up car number plates.

Plates here are like "22456 D 14" number then county (dublin) then year.
I like to make the numbers into round numbers, and work out the differential to the round number, so 22456 will become 30000 and the differential is 7544, I don't do this whilst driving only whilst I'm a passenger.

I only have one OCD like quirk.

I add up car number plates.

Plates here are like "22456 D 14" number then county (dublin) then year.
I like to make the numbers into round numbers, and work out the differential to the round number, so 22456 will become 30000 and the differential is 7544, I don't do this whilst driving only whilst I'm a passenger.

Oh my God. I personally do my best to find ways to add and multiply the numbers to reach round numbers that are multiples of 10 on the plates in the US. You'd be surprised how easy it is to finangle them into that.

I have another one:

big forks and spoons are for dinner, small forks and spoons are for salads and desserts

growing up I didn't know there was a difference, but now, when I'm eating my dinner I WANT A BIG BOY FORK!

I have another one:

big forks and spoons are for dinner, small forks and spoons are for salads and desserts

growing up I didn't know there was a difference, but now, when I'm eating my dinner I WANT A BIG BOY FORK!

SWMBO has (now technically "we have") 3- and 4-prong forks. I've always hated using the 3-prong ones. Then I saw the Big Bang Theory episode regarding the topic. "Forks are for eating, tridents are for ruling the seven seas"

Back