OCD or just weird preferences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak1010

Reaction score
I have some weird preferences that my wife considers a mild form of OCD.

For example: I prefer to have the toilet paper roll be installed so that it flows over the top rather than being pulled from underneath. She has no care at all so, when my wife replaces the roll, she puts no thought into it. Just puts in on. If it's not the way I like it, I take it off and reverse it.

What are some of your preferences that some people may find "uncommon"?

I like to arrange my beer glass cabinet to have the glasses that I use most frequently in front. If they are put away in an order I dont like, I will redo it. I know its not that crazy, but I like to be able to just grab a glass that I know I will use quickly.

I also rearrange my beer cellar too often, maybe once a week or so depending on what ive added. I seem to be doing a lot of trades/purchases lately, so when I add things I have to rearrange them to fit. I keep all the bombers on top, going from the multiples to 750s to 22's. Then I keep all the multiple 12oz bottles together, going from greatest number of multiples to least number of multiples. All the cans are together, same format, as well as the HB of mine and others that I have. I think the biggest reason I do this is to be able to be down there looking at them. :D I also like to be organized most of the time ( I do get lazy sometimes and dont care) but when it comes to beer related things like the cellar, Im not lazy.

If it's not the way I like it, I take it off and reverse it.

That's funny... I do the same thing.

I also have to eat a burrito where the tortilla "flap" is on top rolled to the right. So when I hold it with my left hand, it's rolled from my palm to fingers. It keeps the tortilla closed by the top of my hand.

Ha! I'm exactly the same way about the toilet paper; SWMBO has stopped even trying to put new rolls on, and just leaves the fresh roll on top of the toilet tank, because she "never remembers which way it goes and always gets it wrong."

Conversely, I've stopped even trying to put anything besides our most-commonly-used dishes into the dishwasher, because if it's not a plate or bowl I can just put right next to another plate or bowl of the exact same type, I will invariably have "put it in the wrong place" for her dishwasher-loading scheme.

You and your wife probably just have different "techniques" for pulling toilet paper off the roll; your technique works best with it rolling over the top, while her's works equally well no matter how the roll is put in, so she has no reason to notice which way it's put in. First beer's on me if she doesn't just rejoin that you're taking the paper off the roll the wrong way, though...

The correct term is called, "Proper Overhand Fashion". It should be law.

TP in our house is rarely ever put on the dispenser anyway. I am very sure that unless we have company, and sometimes not even then, I am the ONLY person in the house who puts the roll on the dispenser. It either sits on top of the dispenser, or on top of the trash can lid. Both of them are very handy locations, but COME ON, it only takes 5.87 seconds to changes rolls. And that is when you are sitting down in a slightly awkward position!

I have very mild OCD. However, except for one or two minor things, it's all related to making things easier, like putting tall things behind short things in the cupboards (Cause you can see and grab everything easier that way, duh!), or arranging things in order of use, so that there is less necessary movement or it's easier to remember the order things go in. That's probably from 10 years of factory work while going to school.

I also like to eat M&M and similar things in order of color, or eating cashew PIECES before eating the whole cashews. But those are not really OCD. I don't feel compelled to eat them that way, I just prefer to.

I have a strange habit of counting steps. Anytime I go up or down stairs I have to count how many steps there are.....call me crazy

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Home Brew mobile app

I have a strange habit of counting steps. Anytime I go up or down stairs I have to count how many steps there are.....call me crazy

You're crazy!

I sometimes do that as well. And I *really* hate taking them single. I always like to do two at a time.

OK, I was discussing this topic with a friend and he hit me with a question. He says, imagine you just finished an awesome steak dinner and after finished you use a toothpick. You remove a large piece of steak from your tooth and you're left holding the toothpick with the steak on it. Do you eat it or toss it? Never really put much thought into it myself but, he says he eats it. This drives his wife nuts. I'm not sure...what would you do?

OK, I was discussing this topic with a friend and he hit me with a question. He says, imagine you just finished an awesome steak dinner and after finished you use a toothpick. You remove a large piece of steak from your tooth and you're left holding the toothpick with the steak on it. Do you eat it or toss it? Never really put much thought into it myself but, he says he eats it. This drives his wife nuts. I'm not sure...what would you do?

Eat it. You already attempted to once. :D

I check glasses before I fill them for other people. I may go through 3-4 perfect glasses before I decide one is clean enough. I do the same sometimes with dishware and utinsels. I worry unnecessarily that I put swear words in work emails when I know I did not. I check that my sliding glass door is **** and locked multiple times before I leave the house. I wash my hands till cracked and dried, often 3 to 4 times before leaving a restroom. That's a few.

That toilet paper thing is no joke. I do the same.
I think there are other things I'm particular about but I never saw them as OCD. I don't have a wife and never will so I guess I won't have a wife to call me out on my ****. :)

I check glasses before I fill them for other people. I may go through 3-4 perfect glasses before I decide one is clean enough. I do the same sometimes with dishware and utinsels.

My shįītÿ dish washer would never make it through your quality control... I figure it's been sanitized; it's safe to scrape the gunk off and use. :drunk:

I change the TP here at home & at work so the rolls are "Stallone". and I have a behavioral problem with rinsing things. when I was growing up, I had my mouth washed out with all kinds of liquid soap. and it was quite frequently. the smell & taste of liquid dish soap makes me sick to my stomach & fills me with the rage. now when I rinse dishes, it's overly thorough. and I won't wash my beer glasses with any kind of soap.

I have some weird preferences that my wife considers a mild form of OCD.

For example: I prefer to have the toilet paper roll be installed so that it flows over the top rather than being pulled from underneath. She has no care at all so, when my wife replaces the roll, she puts no thought into it. Just puts in on. If it's not the way I like it, I take it off and reverse it.

What are some of your preferences that some people may find "uncommon"?

Im the same way. I found out why my wife always installed the tp "wrong". It is because of the cats like to unravel the roll as a play toy. I learned to accept it installed backwards after coming home to piles of tp unraveled on the floor from the cats when I would install the tp the correct way. Now, if she could just use a sink strainer correctly that would save from slow/clogged drains. And that is a sensible thing to get angry/irritated about. Food down the drain= clogged=draino not working=call a plumber$$= could have been preventable anger with one less bill to pay.

I have to eat sandwiches around the outside first starting with anything that is hanging off the bun and then working to the middle. Always have to finish with the center of the sandwich because it usually has every flavor. I actually eat almost everything that can be that way. Cookies, toast, not so much bagels and donuts though. And as far as TP goes, it's always over the top. I will change it every time if I find it under.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have to eat sandwiches around the outside first starting with anything that is hanging off the bun and then working to the middle. Always have to finish with the center of the sandwich because it usually has every flavor. I actually eat almost everything that can be that way. Cookies, toast, not so much bagels and donuts though. And as far as TP goes, it's always over the top. I will change it every time if I find it under.

How would you eat a donut hole?

Its not fun trying to struggle catching a piece of tp being tucked between the wall not letting you get it and breaking off when you got bidzness to take care of. Im for accesability myself not frustration when doing what you gotta do every day.

funny-gas-station-OCD.jpg

I recycle all the 11.2 oz, 20 oz ( imperial pints) & 22 oz bombers that I drink and after I clean the labels off I sort by shape and oz capacity. I can't put a McEwans bottle an a box with an Ebulem bottle. Even if there is only a slight difference in shape I can detect it. I love that I live in a diverse and integrated neighborhood but I can't integrate my own bottles!

I would never consider putting on my left shoe first. Always right first.

Great, now I will be paying attention to which shoe I put on first from now on! :smack:

I always put my left boot on first. save the best for last.:D

Well wrap your little OCD brains around this... I put both on at the same time!

This while putting my pants on while assuring they don't touch the ground as I'm hopping on one leg flicking the light switches on and off exactly 27 times with three second intervals between switches signing Yankee Doodle went to town but replacing doodle with noodle in D minor and counting backwards from 9,872 and I avoid hopping on a crack or getting my hands covered in germs.

If I fail this routine, I continue until it feels right... I gotta go now. I have something I need to finish.

Well wrap your little OCD brains around this... I put both on at the same time!

This while putting my pants on while assuring they don't touch the ground as I'm hopping on one leg flicking the light switches on and off exactly 27 times with three second intervals between switches signing Yankee Doodle went to town but replacing doodle with noodle in D minor and counting backwards from 9,872 and I avoid hopping on a crack or getting my hands covered in germs.

If I fail this routine, I continue until it feels right... I gotta go now. I have something I need to finish.

Wow. You better get busy

Wow, is this ever the thread for me. :D
I'll start off with a few.
I hate the feeling of beach sand and can't even look at someone with beach sand stuck to them.
I have to load the silverware in the utensil basket in the dishwasher separated by type. All spoons go together, all forks together, etc.
I hate overhead lighting. I only ever turn on the lamps in the house for lighting. Both bathrooms in our house have two switches that control different lights. I only ever use the one that has the lighting I like. If my wife is in there and she has turned on the other light, I'll turn it off and turn the "correct" one on.
I eat all my food separate, I don't mix things and I only move on to the next item on my plate when I'm completely done with the previous one. There are a couple exceptions to this, but not many.
I automatically straighten any items that are sitting or laying at an angle.
That's enough for now.

The correct term is called, "Proper Overhand Fashion". It should be law.

TP in our house is rarely ever put on the dispenser anyway. I am very sure that unless we have company, and sometimes not even then, I am the ONLY person in the house who puts the roll on the dispenser. It either sits on top of the dispenser, or on top of the trash can lid. Both of them are very handy locations, but COME ON, it only takes 5.87 seconds to changes rolls. And that is when you are sitting down in a slightly awkward position!

I couldn't care less what direction it goes, and used to get annoyed with the fact that I am the only person who will actually put the roll in the holder.

Last week - I had the audacity to actually put the roll in the holder. Within an hour, my wife calls out that she needs a fresh roll because it isn't sitting on the sink. A few hours later, my 4 year old wakes up in the middle of the night, goes and freaks out when she can't find the roll.

I thought it would teach some sort of lesson about cleaning, or replacing what we use, or some bs like that. The only lesson learned? Don't put the damn roll in the holder.

Wow, is this ever the thread for me. :D
I'll start off with a few.
I hate the feeling of beach sand and can't even look at someone with beach sand stuck to them.

Worst feeling ever! I wish I didn't agree since I hear all kinds of great things about going to the beach but, if I have a single grain of sand on me I can't do anything until I remove it. I see people who are on the beach while it's hot and they're sweaty, covered with lotion and have sand stuck to them. Makes me want to jump out of my skin!!!:eek:

I eat it. Every time.... after looking at it.

I see people who are on the beach while it's hot and they're sweaty, covered with lotion and have sand stuck to them. Makes me want to jump out of my skin!!!:eek:
Ahhhh!!! I'm jumping out of my skin just thinking about that. You forgot the other thing that takes it to a whole other skin crawling level....sunburned! Yes, sunburned, sweaty, lotioned up, beach goers with sand stuck to them. Dear god I have to stop thinking about this!

Ahhhh!!! I'm jumping out of my skin just thinking about that. You forgot the other thing that takes it to a whole other skin crawling level....sunburned! Yes, sunburned, sweaty, lotioned up, beach goers with sand stuck to them. Dear god I have to stop thinking about this!

Oh ya... I'm jumping outta my skin alright.

sexy,%20women,%20girls,%20nude,%20lady,%20sailing,%20sailboats,%20butch%20petty,%20butchpetty.co.jpg

Back