Obnoxious REAL Football Trash Talking Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C-USA vs MWC championship game... F'n really?!? Please god don't do it MWC. I mean f'n really. I get that the BCS is colluding to F you out of AQ status but right now if OK/OSU/TX/TXTech do go to the PAC you become the #5 conference in college football at least with the very real possibility of keeping TCU...

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate C-USA but it is a very real step backwards. MWC has five automatic bowl bids of which they lose like 1 of typically at this point. The only major BCS bowl they lost was against a team that ended up in the conference anyway in the BCS's screw you bowl setup (ala we say you don't deserve BCS bowls so play each other so you don't embarrass us again and risk votes going your way after the NC game... If your good enough to play "Real" teams then your good enough to play each other right? RIGHT??)

Seriously, with the very real possibility of losing WVU or Mizzou to the SEC you can't possibly think this is a good idea. Can anyone in their right mind say the Big East AND the Big12 even deserve AQ anymore if all that transpires? For what... To rebuild scavenged conferences (BE will be fine in CBB granted) and try to gut solid conferences that are geographically sensible with backroom deals and hypocrisy?

Ok... So I laughed when the guy called in claiming OK/OSU were joining the SEC sequentially after ATM and the 'Zoo. This morning I read the public announcements and the guy is starting to look like a Soothsayer. While it still could easily ont be the case, the plausibility of it now is just creepy.

I think there will be far fewer moves than all the talk right now is implying. The Big 12 will still be there with some additions of mid majors that want AQ status. I don't think Oklahoma or Texas goes anywhere. The Big East however is in a pretty scary situation football-wise and may be relegated to being strictly a basketball conference. What does TCU do? Isn't the Big 12 a much better fit for them?

Yes, the Big 12 is a better fit for TCU but as I understand it UT doesn't want them there under any circumstances whatsoever.

BYU is an attractive target for them although given their predisposition and previous press announcements I'd imagine you'd see them back in the MWC before the B12. I think they've gotten past the butthurt that they displayed and the tantrum they threw when the PAC took Utah and not them.

That said I don't think the moves are done yet. I think the UConn thing is borderline already a done deal. Right now the only reason I don't think they've publically app'd it yet is the ACC is dragging their feet on a 16th member. Notre Dame has already stated that if they were left no choice and had to abandon their Independence (a much bigger possibility because of their already BE affiliated sports if the BigEast were to start to fall apart. But I believe the Basketball programs will keep it together if for no other sport than Basketball...) they would not choose the B1G but rather prefer the ACC. They're really the only non-coast'ish team I could see the ACC seriously considering to be honest of the options available.

I think Rutgers and Missouri have a ton in common although frankly I firmly believe Mizzou has the more attractive athletics program. While I don't doubt they're a possible target for the SEC (the B1G already shunned them once, not sure I would count on them although theoretically the interest should be there as an AAU school), I don't really think they're quite as an attractive target as they think they are. I think Syracuse brings more to the table and a chunk of what the media are claiming Rutger's brings in all honesty and fairness.

All that said... I rate the Big East at least for Football about the same level I rank Conference USA and possibly just because of sheer team numbers right now C-USA is a better overall program. Last I looked the MWC was less than 5 points overall behind the ACC and PAC12 and only 6.1pts behind the B1G which is coincidently about what they're lead over the Big East is presently. They need to give them their damn AQ so they can actually keep their teams in the first place. It's funny to me the Big12 is a joke right now, the Big East is falling apart... And a conference that has been getting the job done still gets no respect.

Yes, a close win against OK wasn't terribly impressive. A moderate thumping against a borderline laughable Big (L)East team isn't that impressive either. An absolute wallop against Alabama however when some people were claiming they should split with a 1 loss Florida for the NT? That's a different issue regardless of what lame excuses they came up with. And like it or not Wisconsin was flat out considered the #4 team in the country last year when they went up against TCU. Yes it was a close game as it should have been with those types of teams but don't forget how they came out. Lack of an AQ is the only reason TCU was bailing the MWC and I find it rather amusing the Big East is becoming even more of an absolute joke at this point right before they get there.

Oh and I forgot an SMU team that's lobbied to be brought back into an AQ conference only a few months before the season began. They've proven they don't mind paying their players what it takes to be competitive... Give 'em a chance! :)

You love the MWC don't you? I don't share the same respect, despite some recent success. I don't know of any beef between TCU and Texas but it wouldn't surprise me. If I was the SEC I would rather have TCU (or West Virginia) then Missouri, I honestly don't see what they bring to the table.

Your quote on Notre Dame is true but your logic isn't very sound. They could join just about any conference they wanted with their non-football sports if the Big East fell apart. I think their preference for the ACC reflects that, if they were going to join because of football they would take a hard look at the Big 10, I don't care what they say.

Other than your rant about how good the MWC is and your tears over their non AQ status you just regurgitated all the rumors that have been swirling in the last 2 weeks plus. I think it's all blown out of proportion. You remember last year when ESPN said everyone was leaving the Big 12 and there were going to be superconferences everywhere? Didn't happen. I think only 5 teams moved and one of those went Independent (at least in football).

Also, I would like to see SMU in the Big 12, along with TCU, Rice, and Houston. Let's bring back the old Southwest Conference (minus Arkansas)! Biggest payroll wins! :cross:

Laugh... Tears? No. I'm merely not a fan of hypocrisy. The BE is absolutely abhorrent. The ACC has some decent teams but frankly I consider them beneath the PAC (which physically pains me to say.) on a Team by Team basis. The SEC has been down of late. A bunch of NT lately but really only significantly good teams maybe 2 of the last 5 years at best but then look at who they played. The B1G I can't say as I tend to only get to see the games the great teams played pitiful teams so I'll withhold judgement. And to clear up confusion I am an SEC fan. I suspected that was clear per the SEC favored talk show but just in case that wasn't clear. As I live in the SEC area I hear the "oh they blow bleh bleh" train that gives SEC fans their poor stereotype hence why the hypocrisy they fully support is such a hot topic with me.

The Texas/TCU thing comes from a family member living in Texas and I cannot substantiate it. Just repeating.

The above posted "claim" I've read on zero sites nor do I believe it likely so I'm a little confused on the two week thing. Please point me to the OK/OSU coup site. I'd like less biased garbage to read after all (and yes, espn is admittedly garbage usually).

Accidic said:
Ok... So I laughed when the guy called in claiming OK/OSU were joining the SEC sequentially after ATM and the 'Zoo. This morning I read the public announcements and the guy is starting to look like a Soothsayer.

I would note that in the crazy guys defense this was days ago before we got to where we are. Most SEC fans will tell you OK is afraid of such a situation but I'm not buying.

When SC came into the SEC tho AU got bumped to the west to try and balance the "Power" teams and Vandy got bumped east even tho they don't make sense there. This made the Bama/Tenn fans happy to keep their rivalry. With Mizzou prospect AU commented they have no issue moving west which would bump AL/TN unfortunately.

If the presumed crazy guy turned out to be right... With two more you end up switching them for LSU. That short changes AU/LSU but that would actually please AL fans anyway. LSU/ARK/OK/OSU as divisional powers. FL/AL with theoretical strength from at least two of TN/GA/AU in the East. Not saying it will happen mind you but it seems more plausible at this point than it did a week ago.

The "coup" comment was in regard to the claim that it was preplanned to leave Texas out. Not unlike what Baylor did with TCU/Houston/etc a decade and a half ago.

Now I follow. I still don't think it will happen but at this point we're all just guessing. Final tune up games for the Big 10 this week, then we get to see what everyone is made of.

I only care about the conference swaps and crap in the off season. While they're playing I just follow the football part. lol

I believe Wisconsin wins the B1G this year. I doubt it's Michigan. Michigan St. seemed to show chinks against Notre Dame. Penn St. doesn't look like they'd be too bad if they could get... well, an offense. Ohio St. looks like they might be the shakiest of the bunch and they're typically the ones that would beat out Wisconsin so /shrug.

I actually like the shakeup re-alignment thing tbh so long as it makes Geographical sense. In that I mean Louisville to the PAC (or whatever randomness) seems rather ridiculous. Texas A&M to the SEC didn't hurt my feelings at all though. As I recall Arkansas/Texas A&M had a bit of a rivalry back in the day along with LSU as well. Not really sure about Missouri but at least it makes geographical sense. Air Force in the Big East though? Army/Navy sure but Air Force? I think many are in agreement with the silliness of such a thing though. I'm sick of hearing the whining about rivalries though. There is no reason the Rivalry games can't be continued albeit perhaps on a different day... Iowa/ISU, Utah/BYU, GA/GATch, FL/FLSt, VA/VATch (pre-BE pillage in 2004), SC/Clem, etc etc etc etc....

I really think all the talk about all the teams moving from the Big 12 is not going to come to fruition. As an Ok State fan (and alum) I really hope that conference at least stays somewhat strong.

That's about as much interest as I have in the matter. lol

Well, Alabama is as close as we have to a Texas and it's really only the fans who'll tell you they're all that. Technically I'm pretty sure they've got a better track record of NTs to reinforce their stance even tho I still say they're full of it. In the East that's pretty much USC who up until the mid 00's was FLSt. in the ACC. Look at it like this... Even if you did move it'd basically be more of pretty much the same.

If it did manage to stay together though it's just a shame they'd have to do it through the same "Poaching" that they're implying they're upset over. Save for maybe BYU in which that wouldn't be the case. And they really need those 12 teams IMHO as I believe that's just as much part of the expanding rift just as much as the whining over the LHN.

And just to finish out the above thought... In B1G it's pretty much OHSt with occasional displacement by Michigan/Wisconsin (which in the ACC is now done to FLSt by VT/Miami ;) ).

The move towards megaconferences might lead to the demise of the BCS and lead to a small playoff with the conference champions. Now that might be something we could all agree on. Personally, I just want the conferences to be regional in nature and build upon the history of their member institutions. Notre Dame going to the ACC would kill their history, they have more rivalries with the Big 10 (i.e. Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue) then they do with the ACC. So I really don't like the sound of that.

I agree that Wisconsin probably wins the Big 10 with Nebraska as a strong contender. I'm not sure what you're talking about saying that OSU is ocassionally displaced by Michigan/Wisconsin. If you're talking about obnoxious fans than Michigan wins that, but it's become a close race recently. If you're talking about winning conference championships than Michigan also wins that. Michigan has 42, Ohio State 35 (including last year's that they have vacated) and Wisconsin only has 12. Minnesota is actually third with 18. In recent history, the last 10 years, OSU has dominated with 7 Big 10 championships (including shared ones). Michigan, Penn St and Iowa have had 2 each and Wisconsin has exactly one (last year). Now if we're talking national championships Michigan claims 11, Ohio State 7, Michigan St and Minnesota 6, Illinois and Nebraska (new member I know) 5, Penn St 2 (before joining the Big 10), and Iowa 1 (this one is disputed and I don't believe Iowa actually claims it but the website I was looking at said they did). You may notice that Wisconsin didn't make the list. Princeton, by the way, has 28 so I learned something new while typing this up. Anyway, I'll end the history lesson. Who's your team accidic?

I mentioned the last decade in my insanely long and boring post. Ohio State dominated it. If you go back to 1990 it goes Ohio St 10 (1 NC), Michigan 9 (1 NC), Wisconsin 4, Iowa, Northwestern and Penn St 3, and Michigan St, Purdue and Illinois 1. Ohio St has won or shared the last 6 in a row. The last time they didn't at least share the title was 2004 when it was Iowa and Michigan. Their dominance is a recent phenemenon.

As a footnote for Iowa fans the last time OSU won the national championship was in 2002 when they shared the Big 10 title with Iowa. Both teams went 8-0 in conference play and I strongly believe Iowa would have given them a run for their money. Iowa did lose 2 games that season. 1 to rival Iowa State after having a 17 point halftime lead and 1 to USC in the Orange Bowl that was a beat down after Iowa took the opening kickoff back for a td and went to the locker room tied at halftime. Carson Palmer was the QB and heisman trophy winner that year and he picked apart the Hawks in the second half. 45 players from that USC team went on to play in the NFL. Wonder how many got paid in college?

Anyway, for the majority of the Big 10's history, Michigan has been the dominant one. Did I mention that I hate Michigan? So who's your team?

Sorry, I only scanned it while fussing with the baby. Would have went back and read it later. You know the old dreaded 7wk old colic nightmare..... ;)

In the B1G? If you twisted my arm i'd either say Penn St at least til Paterno retires. Maybe Wisconsin cause they caught so much grief around the Dayne days and people claimed they weren't really that good.

Personally I'm an AU fan but I like to watch good games regardless of team and I have light preferences to some teams. I've lived around the ACC, SEC, PAC, and MWC and seen games at each. Michigan and USC are the teams I outright dislike (hate might be a better term for USC).

That's ok, I understand if people didn't read my Big 10 history. Sorry to hear about the colic, luckily mine avoided that. By AU, I assume you mean Auburn. Sorry if you've already stated that, I really didn't follow this thread too closely until very recently. At the very least we can agree to hate Michigan and USC.:mug:

Screw you guys. Why hate us? We been down for several years and are trying to rebuild the program. If we can finish over fifty % I'll be happy. Good riddance to rich rod and hale to Hoke. From my experience M fans are the best, except to Ohio fans. I don't care what team wins the B1G as long as M beats OH!! Go Blue!!!

I only grew to dislike Michigan due to a single fan in the late 90s and as a result I'll dislike them as a result til the day I die. That said I try not to pick on them to much while their down.

Ok, finished (kid unconscious). Ya, I was probably thinking back to the mid 90s. Prob why I remember a few WI. Iowa never impresses me and while I have reason to dislike them, I bear them or ISU no malice.

Screw you guys. Why hate us? We been down for several years and are trying to rebuild the program. If we can finish over fifty % I'll be happy. Good riddance to rich rod and hale to Hoke. From my experience M fans are the best, except to Ohio fans. I don't care what team wins the B1G as long as M beats OH!! Go Blue!!!

I'm an Iowa fan and a Notre Dame fan. That should explain it. Btw, in my experience Hawkeye fans are the best, unless you're rooting for someone else.;)

Ok, finished (kid unconscious). Ya, I was probably thinking back to the mid 90s. Prob why I remember a few WI. Iowa never impresses me and while I have reason to dislike them, I bear them or ISU no malice.

If Iowa has never impressed you then you haven't watched them play enough. Let's look at the numbers since 2000. Iowa has 88-50 overall record (Auburn 102-39), 6-3 in bowl games (Auburn 7-3), 4 top 10 finishes (Auburn 3), 2 conference championships (Auburn 2), 43 guys drafted (Auburn 36), and 38 former Hawkeyes currently in the NFL (Auburn 28). The six bowl victories were against Texas Tech, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia Tech and Missouri. Auburn may have the better overall record but I don't think you could argue that Auburn has been anymore successful of a program than Iowa in the last 10 years. I am curious why you have reason to dislike Iowa. Blue collar teams like Iowa don't usually have too many haters, just lots of doubters. Iowa doesn't get mentioned in pay for play schemes either.:D

I don't think Iowa has been terribad or anything. But with the hype they were getting for a while tho they underperformed immensely... Doesn't help that I lost a bunch of money on them on games they should have won.

That said... On to more important things.

FEAR THE SPEAR ~!! (Technically I suppose it's a Trident but a Trident just isn't a Trident without mention of the devil's lube.)

Accidic said:
In the B1G? If you twisted my arm i'd either say Penn St at least til Paterno retires. Maybe Wisconsin cause they caught so much grief around the Dayne days and people claimed they weren't really that good.

Personally I'm an AU fan but I like to watch good games regardless of team and I have light preferences to some teams. I've lived around the ACC, SEC, PAC, and MWC and seen games at each. Michigan and USC are the teams I outright dislike (hate might be a better term for USC).

Here we go again. Your the same guy who calls USC a bunch of cheaters but claims to be an Auburn fan. I hope you don't make me go to google and cut and paste all of Auburns past shenanigans again!!! Or wait I thought you were a FSU fan last week. How about you pick one, and stop violating the man rule.

Good thing Auburn always lives up to the hype and never loses a game they should win. Oh wait, they've struggled against Utah St. and Florida Atlantic (the same Florida Atlantic that got blown out by Florida and Michigan State by a combined score of 85-3).

Let's not forget their utter lack of defense this year. Talk about painful to watch...

That said, Cabal, you'll note I never claimed Auburn was devoid of cheating any time in their history nor did I claim innocence in the Newton incident. That reiterated... Before you get the story straight (which most amusingly I not once denied) try and get YOUR story straight. I picked on USC because I hate them. If that wasn't reason enough by itself, I also find their position of **** doesn't stick due to either paid off officials and/or exceptional ability to bury the evidence (OHSt comes to mind to a lesser extent). There is a reason people joke about USC cheating so bad "X" institution had to be penalized to pay for it....

As for broken "Man" rules I'm almost positive I stated my stance on teams which FSU merely fell into last week. I'm moderately confident quite a few fans fall into similar classification situations considering the TCU support I saw from people who had no other reason to pull for them rather than the underdog quotient....

Btw, unlike the almost comically defined "fans" over on the west coast you'll find people in other locales enjoy football because it's football and frequently good football. Also, although hypocrisy in the college game is rampant it is still often more entertaining than the NFL "let's line the field with mattress pads and consider the move to flag football" progression.

Simply put I've yet to see a california "rivalry" that was worth much more than a squirt of piss.

Accidic, once again I will have to educate you. Let's start with your statement about USC. You stated basically they buried evidence on Bush. Well if you knew anything about the whole Bush thing it happened with his parents in San Diego that is 150 miles away from LA. It was started with some wanna be agents who gave money to his parents. NOT THE University of Southern California. Not coaches. Not players. Not boosters. Also USC is a private school, that means they don't have to open any books or for that matter they have always said that they did not know what was going on 150 miles away. A's a matter if fact the only person that admitted anything was a convicted felon. The NCAA had nothing on Bush or USC. You sound like the typical know it all super fan that foes not know anything. They have a word for you, your a tool. Oh yah, ever heard of the battle for the liberty bell? I guess not.

Lessee, my recap for the weekend...

UF (Undergrad alma mater) won.
OSU (Oklahoma State- graduate alma mater) won.
USF (brother's school) won.
FSU lost.
USCw lost.
Miami lost.

Pretty freaking great weekend. Only thing coulda made it better is if the other OSU lost too...

Laugh, why is it you honestly believe Bush is the only one I'm referring to? Also I'm moderately confident it isn't generally the coaches who directly pay the players as it would be much much harder to get away with. And frankly the only tool here would be someone implying a typically successful program doesn't have systems set up (with plausible deniability on the part of school officials and coaches of course) to pay a variety of the more prestiged players. Don't get me wrong... I don't deny that on the outside for the abuse they take they're frequently undercompensated....

As for your area rival sorry but being there for one of the games I'm going to go so far as to say that game isn't even your closest game to what I'd consider a rivalry. The only thing it's had (save a surprise win by the Bruins several years ago) is proximity. Contempt tho? I'd much sooner pick the Cal game as closer to a true contemptuous rivalry and even it comes up short. Hell, I'd even pick the money bowl you were kind enough to give ND 80yrs ago or whatever it was closer to rivalry status... I'd like to see the OR/ORSt game and buildup as even the WA/St game seemed a little bleh...

Just so you know... A rivalry is that game that separates families with beligerance. The kind of game that when you move to a new area they corner you and pressure you to choose sides. The game you can't escape for a year and sometimes years. Yes, the Bruins should "BE" a HD heated rivalry for you... However, I'm not personally convinced you could find enough overzealous fans in Cali to convince me of it's status of what I consider to be one of the BIG rivalries.

If it's any consolation tho, living in Cali did manage to breed enough contempt in me towards USC to threaten to disown my daughter if she went there. Cal I can live with begrudgingly. Stanford I can live with. USC she would never ever live down......

Accidic said:
Laugh, why is it you honestly believe Bush is the only one I'm referring to? Also I'm moderately confident it isn't generally the coaches who directly pay the players as it would be much much harder to get away with. And frankly the only tool here would be someone implying a typically successful program doesn't have systems set up (with plausible deniability on the part of school officials and coaches of course) to pay a variety of the more prestiged players. Don't get me wrong... I don't deny that on the outside for the abuse they take they're frequently undercompensated....

As for your area rival sorry but being there for one of the games I'm going to go so far as to say that game isn't even your closest game to what I'd consider a rivalry. The only thing it's had (save a surprise win by the Bruins several years ago) is proximity. Contempt tho? I'd much sooner pick the Cal game as closer to a true contemptuous rivalry and even it comes up short. Hell, I'd even pick the money bowl you were kind enough to give ND 80yrs ago or whatever it was closer to rivalry status... I'd like to see the OR/ORSt game and buildup as even the WA/St game seemed a little bleh...

Just so you know... A rivalry is that game that separates families with beligerance. The kind of game that when you move to a new area they corner you and pressure you to choose sides. The game you can't escape for a year and sometimes years. Yes, the Bruins should "BE" a HD heated rivalry for you... However, I'm not personally convinced you could find enough overzealous fans in Cali to convince me of it's status of what I consider to be one of the BIG rivalries.

If it's any consolation tho, living in Cali did manage to breed enough contempt in me towards USC to threaten to disown my daughter if she went there. Cal I can live with begrudgingly. Stanford I can live with. USC she would never ever live down......

You do make some valid points, but I have to ask were you lived at in Cali. Also you state that the USC/UCLA game has lost some of it's luster. I have to disagree, have you ever been to a USC or UCLA fans house with family members divided? I have seen straight up domestics break out because the wife's family and husbands family have one or the other a's their teams.

I also did not include the battle for the Irish War Club as Notre Dame is not from California or the PAC 12

As for the whole USC is corrupt, I get it. People love to hate success. USC was dominate in the last decade. But what really makes me mad are people that say the whole team was corrupt. Unless you suited up for the Trojans then how the heck do you know??? The most corrupt team in the last couple of decades was not even USC. That would have to go to either Auburn or Miami. But that's ok, we can just gloss over the truth. I'll tell you what corrupt is, that's the NCAA. They wait five years to hammer a school for one players actions (that's even if he did it) but reinstated a guy 24 hours after his school suspends him for being pimped out by his dad.

Yes, my wife's family lives down there and we were there for several of that particular game. We lived ~30m away from Cal. Of the in state games played it was the closest I felt that came to being a "rivalry." Take an OhSt/Mich, Aub/Al, Fl/FlSt, etc game on the other hand and that potential internal fighting isn't necessarily just around the time of the game. It's just not quite the same. I did mention the Money Bowl vs ND prior as it did seem the closest to a big "rivalry" that I saw while I lived over there and I wonder if it was due to the large catholic population (compared to other areas I'd lived at least) that I found in Cali.

As for USC directly, I don't hate them because they are successful. I hate them for very different reasons which I won't detail on here. I also didn't pick on them (at least intentionally) due to corruption until you pointed out my "Hypocrisy." I do agree on the NCAA thing and I think that the rules they impose on players, while well meaning perhaps, is largely unreasonable. I also don't think for a minute that the average player (for football especially) is adequately compensated for the kind of abuse they sign up for when considered in conjunction with the stipulations they get placed upon them to keep the schools "righteous" in the NCAA's eyes.

As for Miami, I do not claim to know that much about the U but as I recall hearing it there was some weird thing that drug out one of the investigations that prolonged one big huge list of corruption into one instance. IIRC there was some kind of fraud vs the Govt and they shut down the investigation until the feds finished theirs. Then when all that got aired out they were granted leniency by the NCAA as they had been cooperative with the Feds investigation or some such and they managed to escape the "Death Penalty" (which didn't OSU get something very close to that or at least closer than anyone else save SMU of course have ever gotten?) purely on that point.

I do, however, wonder what your standards are for declaring Auburn the most corrupt. You'll note I do not deny that they've done some pretty severe rule breaking mind you... They are also in the lead with 7 major infractions since what, 1952? None of the ones that stuck have been in the past two decades I might add. The Newton thing? Well, while I call bull**** on him not knowing about it... It doesn't have much to do with Auburn unless they paid him. They stood behind their player regardless of their motive and if in fact they were not approached re: pay for play for the kid (which again I find highly unlikely) they technically did nothing wrong. MsSt would be the culprit there and tbf to them they did report it even if it was rather late but they had those allegation on their (NCAA) desks over 2 months before the 2010 season started (not to mention the SECs desk a full 8 even with the 1mo wait MSU did to see if they successfully recruited him first... They reported it after he committed to Auburn). Further, I would also point out that Auburn is not the only program with 7 strikes (major) so to speak. Going from memory ASU is up there (some people even claim more than 7), SMU of course, Wisconsin, FSU, Cal, Oklahoma, and ATM all share 7 strikes a piece. I think there are several others in fact including a couple Big Ten schools. USC as a comparison IIRC was actually at 6 as of 2006? There are those who have suggested in the past that Bowden (towards the end) was more pushed out because he wasn't cooperating with the P4P scheme. Same thing for Tuberville at least allegedly.

That said and while I'm thinking about it... Personally I believe Paul Bryant was the most corrupt coach of all time. Alabama was always one of the NCAAs darling teams. And yes, they did escape any penalties while Bryant was a coach... However, I would point out that versus the above they have 5? major infractions and all in the past 20 or so years? What, no death penalty? Oh ya, it's Alabama. Not to mention the fact that Pat Dye was an assistant to Bryant for what, a decade(?), before moving on to be successful at other schools before ending up at Auburn. To be the best (at cheating the system anyway) it pays to learn from the best I'd say. Hell, who better to point the finger at Dye than the guy who taught him how to do what he was doing to try and circumvent the rules. Don't get me wrong, Bryant was a tremendous coach but he should have been once he reached Alabama considering he most likely had the best talent money could buy... (Disclaimer: No matter right or wrong I'm definitely going to be slightly biased here. ;) )

Accidic, a very well thought out and written rebuttal. I commend you on bringing very intelligent argument to the table. I must admit that while I agree with 90% of it I am also biased and must disagree with something. :)

As a passionate fan such as yourself you must realize that I have to stick up for the Trojans. Even though I would give anything to get rid of the Kiffins and the damage that they have done to this program. I will have to suffer through another season of mediocrity until Pat Hayden fires them. It amazes me that it was only a few short years ago when every game at USC was packed and now look at it. I guess that happens when you are prison r*%#d by the NCAA.

I love how I just managed to delete that entire post. I'm that good.

I don't know if I believe both Kiffins are an abyss. I believe Monte is the real deal and is arguably one of the best defensive coaches of all time. Lane on the other hand... Well, meh. While I think TN the fool for getting rid of Fulmer (I still suspect politics re: the Alabama thing for that), they were blessed to get rid of Lane.

On a sidenote, one of my things is trying to attend games for all div 1A schools (at least the major ones) and at (ideally anyway) each of their stadiums. Currently I've visited 37 stadiums and 55 teams. Before I managed to escape Cali I got to see UCLA, USC (ND & UCLA @ USC), Stanford, Cal, Oregon, AZ (not ASU), WA, and WASt (work travel ftw!). Of the ones I've been to though, currently I believe Florida has the best experience hands down (oddly even with as much family as I have in LA I have yet to make a game @LSU tbf). That stadium is absolutely unbelievable and I've yet to see any game at any level that rivals it (out of only 11 pro games tho). They say it's built in a sinkhole and when things get fired up there it's somewhere between the feel of the stadium imploding/exploding/collapsing and is beyond utterly deafening. Most of the central US I haven't had the opportunity to visit yet though.

Back