New beer suggestions for NFL season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soc

Reaction score
Well, fellow homebrewers, the best time of year is almost upon us (at least in my opinion). Time to start brewing my favorite beers, dark fall/winter ales, and time for some FOOTBALL. My wife and I just bought our first house a few months ago and we are about to start the first major project, a basement bar. The bar itself might take a while to finish, but for now we just want to make sure it is fully stocked with good brews for football season.

Here's what I need the help of you guys with. I am a huge Redskins fan and I so I want to always have a burgundy and a gold beer on tap. One is going to be a keg of Miller Lite (yea yea I know, but my family loves it) which will be the gold, I just need advice for a good homebrew recipe that will be a nice Redskins burgundy color, maybe some kind of amber ale?

I also always want to have a third beer on tap. For the third beer I was thinking about doing a theme of the team we are playing that week. I am going to start brewing the first weekend of preseason and figured I can brew each Sunday before the game, brew a themed beer of the team we are going to be playing in 4 or 5 weeks. Anybody have any good ideas for beers that would be a good theme for any of the games? I have included the schedule below.

Week 1: New Orleans Saints
Week 2: St. Louis Rams
Week 3: Cincinnati Bengals
Week 4: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Week 5: Atlanta Falcons
Week 6: Minnesota Vikings
Week 7: New York Giants
Week 8: Pittsburgh Steelers
Week 9: Carolina Panthers
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Philadelphia Eagles
Week 12: Dallas Cowboys
Week 13: New York Giants
Week 14: Baltimore Ravens
Week 15: Cleveland Browns
Week 16: Philadelphia Eagles
Week 17: Dallas Cowboys

Looking forward to a great football/brewing season and I would greatly appreciate any tips anyone has on any good brew ideas. I have a few ideas for some of the teams so far but want to get a complete beer schedule planned out so I can possibly buy some of the ingredients in bulk to save some money. Thanks and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

I now have room for 3 and am having trouble keeping 3 taps full. Can't brew it as fast as we can drink it and with football season, it'll go even faster.
I'm just sticking with what I like and what my friends like. 1 rather lighter beer, and 2 hoppy brews. Stouts take too long. Kolsch and cream ales are fast but as for themes, I'm at a loss what to suggest.

By the way, that first game.....you're gonna loose. WHO DAT! :)

For week 8, an Irish Stout, of course, to honor the Rooney family and the black in "Black & Gold". GO STEELERS!

Do a session cause all game day last thing you want is drunk friends at half time breaking pint glass's or a table

Soc said:
Well, fellow homebrewers, the best time of year is almost upon us (at least in my opinion). Time to start brewing my favorite beers, dark fall/winter ales, and time for some FOOTBALL. My wife and I just bought our first house a few months ago and we are about to start the first major project, a basement bar. The bar itself might take a while to finish, but for now we just want to make sure it is fully stocked with good brews for football season.

Here's what I need the help of you guys with. I am a huge Redskins fan and I so I want to always have a burgundy and a gold beer on tap. One is going to be a keg of Miller Lite (yea yea I know, but my family loves it) which will be the gold, I just need advice for a good homebrew recipe that will be a nice Redskins burgundy color, maybe some kind of amber ale?

I also always want to have a third beer on tap. For the third beer I was thinking about doing a theme of the team we are playing that week. I am going to start brewing the first weekend of preseason and figured I can brew each Sunday before the game, brew a themed beer of the team we are going to be playing in 4 or 5 weeks. Anybody have any good ideas for beers that would be a good theme for any of the games? I have included the schedule below.

Week 1: New Orleans Saints
Week 2: St. Louis Rams
Week 3: Cincinnati Bengals
Week 4: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Week 5: Atlanta Falcons
Week 6: Minnesota Vikings
Week 7: New York Giants
Week 8: Pittsburgh Steelers
Week 9: Carolina Panthers
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Philadelphia Eagles
Week 12: Dallas Cowboys
Week 13: New York Giants
Week 14: Baltimore Ravens
Week 15: Cleveland Browns
Week 16: Philadelphia Eagles
Week 17: Dallas Cowboys

Looking forward to a great football/brewing season and I would greatly appreciate any tips anyone has on any good brew ideas. I have a few ideas for some of the teams so far but want to get a complete beer schedule planned out so I can possibly buy some of the ingredients in bulk to save some money. Thanks and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

The caramel amber recipe on here is awesome, I had some today actually. As for the season....

Week 1 - spicy hefe made with lemon peel(the yellow or gold) and black pepper corn(the black)

Week 2 - blueberry beer made with golden promise malt. Your blue and gold ram colors.

Week 3 - not sure, tough one.

Week 4 - gotta be something you add rum to.
Week 5 - black berry and red raspberry ale
Week 6 - my original recipe and I'm a Vikings fan.... An elderberry imperial pale ale. Made with elderberries(purple) golden promise(gold), and bog myrtle(a herb Vikings used to make gruit/beer before the use of hops). I will gladly PM you the recipe it has been loved by many.

Week 7 - blueberry white wheat beer

I will come up with things for the other and post back.

Chap said:
For week 12 and 17 make sure it is something you don't mind crying in :ban:

GO COWBOYS!!!

Sorry, I already decided the only beer that would do cowboys justice would be an old skunked natty light.

Sorry, I already decided the only beer that would do cowboys justice would be an old skunked natty light.

LMAO, I wouldn't expect anything less from a Deadskins fan.

Great concept BTW, good luck with the whole season.

KeyWestBrewing said:
The caramel amber recipe on here is awesome, I had some today actually. As for the season....

Week 1 - spicy hefe made with lemon peel(the yellow or gold) and black pepper corn(the black)

Week 2 - blueberry beer made with golden promise malt. Your blue and gold ram colors.

Week 3 - not sure, tough one.

Week 4 - gotta be something you add rum to.
Week 5 - black berry and red raspberry ale
Week 6 - my original recipe and I'm a Vikings fan.... An elderberry imperial pale ale. Made with elderberries(purple) golden promise(gold), and bog myrtle(a herb Vikings used to make gruit/beer before the use of hops). I will gladly PM you the recipe it has been loved by many.

Week 7 - blueberry white wheat beer

I will come up with things for the other and post back.

Lots of great ideas! Please do pm me that recipe. Who better to get the idea/recipe from than a homebrewing fan of the team? Thanks!

We beat the Giants twice last year with Rex Grossman...

We just felt bad for you guys and decided to let you have a couple wins ;)

In all seriousness for the giants games brews you could try brewing a clone recipe from a nj brewery. The first one that comes to mind is flying fish.

Huge EAGLES fan here so I am sworn to hate you and your kin! For us playing the Redskins & (Cowboys) for that matter were one of the very few bright spots of the season. I am hoping we get one more year of whopping you until RGIII figures it out. That kid is going to be good. As far as the beer need to make a Triple for the Eagles games for the triple threat of Vick, Shady, and Jackson

Cheers! Fall is my favorite time as well

Me too.. very big football fan here.

I'm really pulling for the skins this year. Other than the whole hightower/helu uncertainty (I would love to see helu get more carries), I think we're going to finally see the skins put together some drives. Garcon and Davis should have some big games with RGIII at the helm.

I'm a die hard ravens fan so I guess I'd have to make some kind of purple beer lol.

Well, I don't find football interesting (though beer does help) but I look forward to the season because that's when the best football related TV comes on, a show called "The League". As it is a half hour show and pushes up against my bedtime, only a double IPA will do. So I strongly suggest taking a shot at making something like Hoptimum for those days between Sundays (well, and Mondays. And later in the season, the special Thursday night editions of MNF).

Week 15 is obvious. The Cleveland Browns call for a brown ale. Your Skins probably have a shot at winning that one, so you might want to go low gravity if you want to remember the fourth quarter.

Week 13's game is on Monday Night Football, so it will be on ESPN. It would only be reasonable, in that case, to brew extra special bitter and call it ESBN.

OK, I was thinking about this over night, and I have you covered for the whole AFC North.

As above, the game against Cleveland is obvious: brown ale. Call it Dog Pound Brown, Cleveland Brown Ale, or Jim Brown Ale.

Pittsburgh: I like Stout, but I have bigger plans for Stout. I think you should do Robust Porter. It appears black, and you can call it “Joey Porter.” Sure, he doesn’t play for the Steelers any more, but a former draft pick, I think it still counts.

Baltimore: This is where you want to break out the Stout. Call it a Poe Stout, Nevermore Stout, or just Raven Stout. Not only does the black go with the Raven’s uniforms, Stout goes well with your food selection for the Baltimore game, shellfish. If you were really ambitions / extravagant, you could do a Chesapeake oyster stout, but even a nice dry stout and some Chesapeake shellfish will make this party legendary.

Cincinnati: I remembered that Fuller’s makes an IPA called Bengal Lancer. I couldn’t find a clone recipe, but you could always just make your own English (or even American) IPA, and call it “Bengal Tiger.” It might actually taste pretty good with some Cincinnati style chili, especially if your grated cheese is a very sharp cheddar.

Just wait until a season when the Redskins play the AFC West, and you get to make clones of your favorite San Diego, East Bay, and Colorado beers for those games. That ought to be a lot of fun.

For week 3: Cincinnati has a strong brewing history from German immigrants. Prohibition really killed it. You could go with a German lager or something... Maybe an Oktoberfest (if you have time) since Cincy has the one of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations outside Munich.

For week 3: Cincinnati has a strong brewing history from German immigrants. Prohibition really killed it. You could go with a German lager or something... Maybe an Oktoberfest (if you have time) since Cincy has the one of the largest Oktoberfest celebrations outside Munich.

Completely agree with the above. Although, Six Point's Bengali Tiger may be my official Bengals beer this season since it's so delicious. So a clone is reasonable if you can find a recipe (share here if you find it). WHO DEY!

Back