Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) every article and comment I have seen on it points out how hurt Amendola always is and how Welker is never hurt... How are people forgetting that Welker blew out an ACL a couple of years ago? They forget because it was, I think, the second to last game they played that year and by the start of the next season, Welker was back. So the injury took place at the very end of the year... what if it was the first game instead of at the end? And he missed the whole season? Are we still having this conversation? So because Welker got hurt late in the season, he is more "dependable"?

Welker blew his knee out at the end of 2009 and while his 2010 stats are underwhelming, his 2011 and 2012 stats are impressive and show that he fully recovered from that injury. He missed only one game from 2010 - 2012. It's also the same injury that the Golden Boy recovered from as well.

Amendola played all 16 games in 2010, then 1 game in 2011, and 11 in 2012. Seems a bit fragile for a slot receiver.

2). I would like to see what Amendola's contract looks like. If it is heavily back-loaded and cap-friendly compared to what Welker would have been... That makes me feel better about it.

Oh... And I actually like the fact that the Pats gave Welker a nice extra middle finger with the Amendola dollar totals. "Oh Wes, you got $6mm per year? Meh... We're gonna give Amendola $6.2mm... Sorry but we didn't have $6mm for you."

Agreed. If it is an incentive laden contract like the one that Welker rejected than it is a great deal for the Pats. However, you cannot tell me with a straight face that the Pats couldn't find $6 million for two years when they paid Welker over $9 million last season.

Cough **ARROGANCE** Cough Cough.

He played under McDaniels for a little while in St. Louis (the year he missed basically the whole season), so you've got to figure he knows at least the basics of the system, and McDaniels has a sense of whether he'll fit in or not.

The same Josh McDaniels that thought Tim Tebow was a 1st round draft pick and starting QB material? I'm sure I'd trust Josh McDaniels' eye on player talent.

Bwahahahaha.

If you don't think Peyton Manning's head is getting even bigger after the Welker signing you're nuts. I'd rather have Welker for the next two to three seasons than Amendola. I've seen Welker beat us enough times to know his value. I cannot wait for Pats fans to watch their team travel to Denver next January to learn the same thing.

Welker blew his knee out at the end of 2009 and while his 2010 stats are underwhelming, his 2011 and 2012 stats are impressive and show that he fully recovered from that injury. He missed only one game from 2010 - 2012. It's also the same injury that the Golden Boy recovered from as well.

Amendola played all 16 games in 2010, then 1 game in 2011, and 11 in 2012. Seems a bit fragile for a slot receiver.

Ahhh... ok... yeah...

Because Welker blew out his ACL in the last game of the season and only then missed one game (a playoff loss to Balt)... he is much more durable than Amendola who got hurt in the first game of the season and missed the year.

Ahhh... gotcha.

Stupid freakin' Amendola... that idiot should have gotten hurt at the end of the year like that super durable Welker.

How effin Hoppy are you?

Agreed. If it is an incentive laden contract like the one that Welker rejected than it is a great deal for the Pats. However, you cannot tell me with a straight face that the Pats couldn't find $6 million for two years when they paid Welker over $9 million last season.

Cough **ARROGANCE** Cough Cough.

It has nothing to freakin' do with whether they could find the money... they obviously had it because they're giving it to Amendola.

They didn't want him on the team for that money. Period.

I don't understand why that is so complicated to understand.

... and again... "if the PAts paid him $9MM last year..." Ok, then why didn't he get $9mm from the Broncos or someone else this year?

Ahhh... ok... yeah...

Because Welker blew out his ACL in the last game of the season and only then missed one game (a playoff loss to Balt)... he is much more durable than Amendola who got hurt in the first game of the season and missed the year.

Ahhh... gotcha.

Stupid freakin' Amendola... that idiot should have gotten hurt at the end of the year like that super durable Welker.

How effin Hoppy are you?

I'm not sure how you don't comprehend the difference between a catastrophic and freak injury like an ACL tear and the nickel/dime injuries that Amendola racks up. No matter how you to try to spin it, Amendola missed 20 games the last two seasons while Welker missed how many? Let me spell it out for you in case you don't understand.

Z-E-R-O

It has nothing to freakin' do with whether they could find the money... they obviously had it because they're giving it to Amendola.

They didn't want him on the team for that money. Period.

I don't understand why that is so complicated to understand.

... and again... "if the PAts paid him $9MM last year..." Ok, then why didn't he get $9mm from the Broncos or someone else this year?

Are you smoking crack? You can sign Wes Welker for two years and at a yearly salary 2/3's of what he made last season, and it's TOO expensive? We're talking about an impact player who has been the top receiver on your team for years and whom your franchise QB restructured his contract for to resign. He's going to look damn good out of the slot playing with Peyton. I sure hope Amendola clicks with Brady, and I would be asking myself if Amendola is such a skilled player why did the Rams let him walk?

It's also a huge "F YOU" for both Welker and Belichick.

The Pats were tired of haggling with Welker, well then "F YOU - We'll sign a younger Welker-lite version. I can coach anyone to fit my system."

After seeing that Welker most likely went "F YOU - I'll sign with the best team in the AFC with the best QB in the league and take a paycut, we'll see you in January."

It wasn't all about the money - the reports I've read indicated a third team offered Welker two years and $15 million but aren't considered serious playoff contenders. The Broncos were right up against the cap and wouldn't have been able to afford Welker at his salary last season.

Why is it assumed that Brady's restructuring was specifically for Welker to re-sign? I'm sure Brady wants Vollmer back, too, and they're going to have to spend money to re-sign Talib or to bring in another high-level CB. They aren't winning another SB unless the defense keeps improving. Brady's also planning to play for another five years - getting a good, quick slot receiver with excellent hands for the next five years, he might miss Welker but he might fall right back in love with Danny Boy.

I don't begrudge Welker's Super Bowl drop - it wasn't a good pass from Brady. But, Welker had something like a 12.5% drop rate last year. Amendola was ~2%. Love Wes Welker, but he's not irreplaceable.

ok Darwin... so let me see if I can sum up your brilliant conclusion here...

You're saying that Bill Belichick, out of shear arrogance, INTENTIONALLY went out and paid a worse player, more money... presumably making his team worse in the process, soooo... he could prove his amazing coaching ability and "replace" Welker with Amendola... somehow magically showing the world what a genius he is.

OH... sorry... I forgot the whole concept of Belichick also making his team worse and all of that jazz so he could punish Welker for even trying to negotiate... again... due to his massive arrogance.

Is that your theory??

This entire thing is a Hoppy discussion.

Bottom line: The Pats don't need Wes Welker. He caught about 3 passes before he came to the Pats, Ameldola is much more a proven commodity than Welker was when he came in.

I'm not sure that the injury Amendola had last year was Nickel and dime. Didn't his collorbone nearly puncture his lung or heart? (I'm way too Moto to look it up)

It could be that Amendola was oft injured because of the places that Bradford sent him. Welker gets hit pretty big, but isn't it possible that Brady wouldn't throw it if Welker was going to get really lit up? I know he got lit up a bunch, but I think Brady may have been a bit more judicious with his throws over the middle.

Besides, the small slot receiver was what the greatest offense in the NFL was doing the past few years. Now that other, lesser teams are trying to get in to the action, the greatest offense in the NFL is changing gears and highlighting Multi tight end sets.

I'm not going to worry until we try to copy what the Jets are doing.

This entire thing is a Hoppy discussion.

Bottom line: The Pats don't need Wes Welker. He caught about 3 passes before he came to the Pats, Ameldola is much more a proven commodity than Welker was when he came in.

I'm not sure that the injury Amendola had last year was Nickel and dime. Didn't his collorbone nearly puncture his lung or heart? (I'm way too Moto to look it up)

It could be that Amendola was oft injured because of the places that Bradford sent him. Welker gets hit pretty big, but isn't it possible that Brady wouldn't throw it if Welker was going to get really lit up? I know he got lit up a bunch, but I think Brady may have been a bit more judicious with his throws over the middle.

Besides, the small slot receiver was what the greatest offense in the NFL was doing the past few years. Now that other, lesser teams are trying to get in to the action, the greatest offense in the NFL is changing gears and highlighting Multi tight end sets.

I'm not going to worry until we try to copy what the Jets are doing.

but the arrogance!!! Don't forget about the arrogance!!!

FINALLY... The Patriots will likely never win another game in the entire future of the franchise and that EEEEEEVIL Bill Belichick's arrogance will finally be the reason!!!

We OBVIOUSLY all know all betting information about Welker than his coach for the last several years! WE KNOW BETTER!!!

Why is no one absolutely losing their minds and jizzing all over their own foreheads over the fact that the Ravens let Ed Reed walk?

OOOOOooooo the arrogance of that A-hole Harbaugh!!!! That IDIOT thinks he can just coach up any old safety to replace Ed Reed!?!?! THE ARROGANCE!!!!!

Ed Reed had to go cause of giving Joe Flacco the biggest contract ever. So many lulz/

which... again... alllllllll arrogance.. Effin Harbaugh sat in his office and had the exact thoughts of "I'll show the world what an amazing coach I am by overcoming the challenge of paying JOE FLACCO the most money EVER, losing Ray Lewis to retirement... but then... the BEST part... I'm going to then let Ed Reed walk AND trade Boldin for a sack of nickles!! MWWWAAAAAHH AAAAHH AAAHHH!!!! NO one will catch on to my diabolical scheme!!!"

I know he thought those exact words because I'm now a mindreader as well. Took an online course in it. It's not as hard as you would think. Then again... I KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!

There were a few teams sniffing around Ryan Mallett recently; wonder if the Pats might try to trade him for a second rounder and go after Matt Cassell again (just released) to back up Brady.

ok Darwin... so let me see if I can sum up your brilliant conclusion here...

You're saying that Bill Belichick, out of shear arrogance, INTENTIONALLY went out and paid a worse player, more money... presumably making his team worse in the process, soooo... he could prove his amazing coaching ability and "replace" Welker with Amendola... somehow magically showing the world what a genius he is.

OH... sorry... I forgot the whole concept of Belichick also making his team worse and all of that jazz so he could punish Welker for even trying to negotiate... again... due to his massive arrogance.

Is that your theory??

I'm saying that Bill Belichick probably had it with the contract negotiations with Welker and decided he'd rather sign a younger slot receiver because he believes he can stick anyone in that system and succeed. It did after well work for Troy Brown.

Offering Amendola slightly more per year than he did Welker, is a "F YOU" no matter how you want to look at it, seeing that Amendola does not have anywhere near the levels of production that Welker has had.

Please don't act like you don't believe that a person's personal opinions and feelings can't interfere with a business transaction. It seems from an outsider's point of view that the years of contract negotiations between Welker and Belichick created some animosity between the two that resulted in both parties going in opposite directions, despite a huge amount of success together.

At the end of the day it comes down to two main questions.

One do you think the Pats are better with Amendola on the roster instead of Welker? If Amendola clicks with Brady, stays healthy throughout the season, and the Pats get a outside receiver to spread the field, then yes this is a good move for the Pats.

Two, and perhaps the better question is are the Broncos, one of the top teams in the AFC, better today with Welker? The answer to that is obviously yes. Do you want to your miserable defense to face Welker in January?

As a Jets fan I can tell you that facing Welker has been miserable. He has burned us so many times. Facing Amendola/Edelman isn't anywhere near as intimidating as Welker. We held Amendola to 7 receptions for 41 yards last season. *Yawn*.

which... again... alllllllll arrogance.. Effin Harbaugh sat in his office and had the exact thoughts of "I'll show the world what an amazing coach I am by overcoming the challenge of paying JOE FLACCO the most money EVER, losing Ray Lewis to retirement... but then... the BEST part... I'm going to then let Ed Reed walk AND trade Boldin for a sack of nickles!! MWWWAAAAAHH AAAAHH AAAHHH!!!! NO one will catch on to my diabolical scheme!!!"

Ed Reed is definitely a play maker in the secondary. He's also 34 years old. Perhaps someone will overpay for him or perhaps he'll resign with the Ravens for a more reasonable deal.

The Joe Flacco deal is dumb. Flacco is at best a top-10 QB who needs talented skilled position players around him to succeed. Unfortunately the Ravens failed to sign him to an extension to last off-season and are paying for his play-off hot streak. Maybe he builds on it but I doubt it.

I'm saying that Bill Belichick probably had it with the contract negotiations with Welker and decided he'd rather sign a younger slot receiver because he believes he can stick anyone in that system and succeed. It did after well work for Troy Brown.

Once again... your mindreading powers have blown me away... and your ability to then base your entire arguement on those abilities is almost as impressive.

Offering Amendola slightly more per year than he did Welker, is a "F YOU" no matter how you want to look at it, seeing that Amendola does not have anywhere near the levels of production that Welker has had.

Maybe it was... maybe it wasn't. Maybe Belichick truly thought he could get Welker on the cheap and when it didn't happen, that's what it took to get Amendola

Please don't act like you don't believe that a person's personal opinions and feelings can't interfere with a business transaction. It seems from an outsider's point of view that the years of contract negotiations between Welker and Belichick created some animosity between the two that resulted in both parties going in opposite directions, despite a huge amount of success together.

And I think that is pure bullsht. The Pats and Belichick have a universal reputation around the league as being the least emotional team there is, to the point they are accused of being just plain mean... so now all of a sudden they're SO emotional that they're going to lose a player who's contributed as much as Welker... over spite?? Please send me a case of whatever you're drinking.

At the end of the day it comes down to two main questions.

One do you think the Pats are better with Amendola on the roster instead of Welker? If Amendola clicks with Brady, stays healthy throughout the season, and the Pats get a outside receiver to spread the field, then yes this is a good move for the Pats.

Two, and perhaps the better question is are the Broncos, one of the top teams in the AFC, better today with Welker? The answer to that is obviously yes. Do you want to your miserable defense to face Welker in January?

No.. it's one question... is Amendola, and whatever other changes Belichick is going to make, going to put the Patriots in a better position to win a Super Bowl, either this year or in the near future, than they would have been in if they had kept Welker and then made whatever additional changes they could have made.

I don't know... again... the visceral reaction is that Welker has been a great player for the Pats and he walked... so the PAts are stupid. My simple point is that Belichick has had an awful lot of success in the NFL. NO, not every move he's made has been perfect, no one's has, but he's had a shtload of success and is a first ballot HOF coach so... until I see what else he's doing, what his game plan is, and some of the results, I'm not going to sit here and foam at the mouth like he just rape a school bus full of penguins and accuse him of the stupid crap you're coming up with.

As a Jets fan I can tell you that facing Welker has been miserable. He has burned us so many times. Facing Amendola/Edelman isn't anywhere near as intimidating as Welker. We held Amendola to 7 receptions for 41 yards last season. *Yawn*.

Ok... again... we'll see how that goes this year. Twice.

Ok... again... we'll see how that goes this year. Twice.

Probably not well. Our starting running back signed with Tennessee to back up Chris Johnson, we have no starting TE, our best WR has serious attitude problems and is trying to come back from a serious foot injury (no other WRs worth mentioning), our offensive line is old and porous, our defensive line lost two good players, our linebackers (outside of Harris) are a joke, we're trying to trade away our best defensive player for pennies on the dollar, we have have no secondary to speak of, and our big free agent splash is David Garrard who was last seen being cut by the Dolphins on HBO's "Hard Knocks". Perhaps the worst thing I saw last season was Antonio Cromartie running routes as a wide receiver and looking better than anyone else on the offensive side we put out there.

It's going to be a bad year. At the end of the 2013 season I am hoping for the following:

- Rex Ryan is fired
- Sanchez is cut
- A top 5 draft pick
- We sign a coach that knows what is going on day-to-day with the team.

I'm not asking for much here, just some hope that Idzick can rebuild the team by getting rid of the bloated contracts and poor team killing attitudes.

Tannebaum slaughtered that team. They are going to need at least two more years to even think about competing. They should cut Sanchez NOW and get the deadmoney azzfisting they're going to end up taking over with and move on.

Trade Revis for as many picks as they can get for him and start from the ground up.

If I'm understanding the JETS cap situation, there's hardly any cap difference between cutting Sanchez now and letting him play out 2013.

And let's be honest, if you're gunning for a top-5 draft pick, don't you WANT Mark Sanchez to be your starting quarterback?

If I'm understanding the JETS cap situation, there's hardly any cap difference between cutting Sanchez now and letting him play out 2013.

And let's be honest, if you're gunning for a top-5 draft pick, don't you WANT Mark Sanchez to be your starting quarterback?

36169988.jpg

I'm not sure... I think for 2013 it wouldnt make a huge difference but it would ultimately shorten the pain on the back end. My understanding is the cap hit would be over two years. I think they should take the cap hit as soon as possible and just get it over with.

If you are the new GM why do you want that reminder sitting on the bench all year for the media to shred every week?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/19/making-sense-of-the-sanchez-cap-hit/

If I'm understanding this right...

If they want to get him completely off the books for 2014, the cap charge for next season would be $17.1M.

Alternatively, they could cut hit, designate him a "post-June 1st" cut, and have a cap charge of $12.3M in 2013 and $4.8M in 2014.

If they keep him, the cap charge in 2013 is $12.8M.

If they had the room, they'd do the first approach - take a $17M cap hit in 2013. I'm not sure they can do that logistically, though - especially since they're going to have to pay SOMEONE to QB to replace him. Don't they already have a metric ****-ton of dead money?

I can't believe you guys are giving the Jets this much of your time and energy. They suck; there's really nothing more to it...

I can't believe you guys are giving the Jets this much of your time and energy. They suck; there's really nothing more to it...

It's so true. Can we just cut Tebow and have ESPN self-impose a ban on even mentioning us on Sports Center for the next few seasons? It would make everything so much better.

Don't be the bitter east coast guy because your team sucks....

Be the bitter east coast guy because I'm better at life than you.

Why would Tampa Bay even think about giving up a 1st rounder for Revis? I know he's one of the best CBs when healthy, but there's a fair number of very good/excellent CBs on the market that you could pursue without giving up a pick (although I suppose Talib's not an option for them!)/

When healthy Revis is the best CB in the league and until he blew out his ACL last year was worth at least one 1st round pick if not more. The Jets have little leverage here - Revis is in injury recovery mode, there is a glut of good "B" grade CBs available for relatively cheap, and everyone and their mother knows the Jets need to trade him. We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him in this market.

Revis is also looking for an extension at $16M/year. You can't have one player (except your QB, if he's elite) accounting for that much of your salary - PLUS giving up a high draft pick. If I'm Tampa, I'm kicking the tires on DeAngelo Hall or Nnamdi Asomugha and keeping my pick.

Latest posts

Back