Obama Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Found this picture in the "Beer Wars" web-site. Looks like Miller Lite to me. Probably would want to tax homebrewers if he got a taste of some good home brew.

Obama Beer.jpg

I'm torn. On one hand I dig the fact that our president drinks beer, especially in public. On the other hand, he's drinking fizzy yellow beer, which is unforgivable in my book. I'm just not sure how to feel about this pic.

Do a few google searches. I remember distinctly during the campaign Obama saying that he preferred craft beer. That could very easily be a Blonde Ale. Then again, he's at what looks to be a basketball game. I've never seen DFH 120 min IPA or Rogue Shakespeare Stout at a B-ball game, sorry. Oh, and here he is with what could be an Irish Red or a Scottish Export. At a craft beer bar, mind you.

obama_copy1.jpg

At least he's drinking it out of a glass and not a plastic cup. Haven't seen any pictures of him smoking lately, though.

The woman on the left could have a porter or a stout, and the body-less arm on the right is definitely some sort of wheat beer. Any researchers on HBT know if any former prezzes were homebrewers? Probably back in the Jefferson, Adams era. Everyone made all there own stuff back then. Abigail Adams used to hang her own laundry in one of the rooms in the White House, so it's not a far stretch to think of old J.A. mashing his own grains in the hop garden, now called the rose garden.

Can you imagine the uproar from the left if Bush was spotted drinking a beer? That would make the front page of the NY Times for sure. Speaking of, are there any such pics out there? I'd like to see what he drinks. Probably Busch. :cross:

The difference here is that Bush was a self-confessed recovered alcoholic, whereas Obama was a self-confessed beer lover, who drinks in moderation.

Edited: Just to be clear, I'm not a democrat or a republican. I didn't vote for Bush or Obama. I just like beer, and Obama does too. I can relate to that.

Can you imagine the uproar from the left if Bush was spotted drinking a beer? That would make the front page of the NY Times for sure. Speaking of, are there any such pics out there? I'd like to see what he drinks. Probably Busch. :cross:

et al:
Born at the Crest of the Empire: Picture of the Day - 3
"U.S. President George Bush, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, British Premier Tony Blair and Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi enjoy a cold drink on the patio in Heiligendamm, Germany, Thursday, June 7, 2007. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)"

Boston Beer has traditionally supplied the White House - I would assume that agreement continues. Of course, he's pretty much free to choose whatever he wants.

Boston Beer has traditionally supplied the White House - I would assume that agreement continues. Of course, he's pretty much free to choose whatever he wants.
If that's the case, and I was president, Stone and Rogue would be all up in that mother.....:rockin:

Dogfish Head is right across the way in Delaware. Could become the "Official Beer of the White House".--- If I were king, er I mean president.

I'm going to name one of my next batches, Bail-out Brew.

I made an election day brew called "Hop and Change". It was my Double Chocolate clone that I had planned for my next batch anyhow; didn't brew it because of the new president's race.

We'll see how both of them develop over time. I hope both turn out well.

I made an election day brew called "Hop and Change". It was my Double Chocolate clone that I had planned for my next batch anyhow; didn't brew it because of the new president's race.

We'll see how both of them develop over time. I hope both turn out well.

He is 50% white, 25% arabic and 25% black

Ommegang released a one off draft beer in January called an "innauguration ale" under the name Obamagang.

Ommegang said:
Brewed especially for the jubilant occasion of the the inauguration of Barack Obama, Ale 2009 is probably better known by its working title, "Obamagang". What started as a quirky one-off label on a gift-bottle has, by all indications, turned into a sensation. Available only on draft, "Obamagang" is being shipped out to dozens of enthusiastic bars and restaurants for celebrants and beer lovers in Washington DC (we hope Mr. President will have a glass!), Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and a few cities in Upstate NY.

The beer itself is a dark ale close to a stout, but hinting at a porter. At 6.2% and full of robust roasted malt and chocolate flavors, "Obamagang" is fortifying yet highly drinkable. Using the Ommegang house yeast and just a touch of Belgian Kriek, an underlying fruitiness adds to a full-bodied and well-rounded celebratory ale.
Enjoy Obamagang, I mean, Ale 2009, at the following fine establishments:
I sure hope he made a point to try a pint of ale made in his honor.

Ommegang released a one off draft beer in January called an "innauguration ale" under the name Obamagang.

I sure hope he made a point to try a pint of ale made in his honor.

They had to change the name

Cant use a Presidential likeness for profit , there is a law on the books
The name had to be CHANGEd

Dogfish Head is right across the way in Delaware. Could become the "Official Beer of the White House".--- If I were king, er I mean president.

Delaware's not exactly in the metro area. Clipper City is still pretty far out in Baltimore, but Wild Goose in Frederick is close. There's Capitol City in DC proper but I don't know if they brew on-premises or not, and there's a lot of smaller stuff in Virginia but the biggest one (Old Dominion) is in the process of shifting their brewing operations up to New York.

I vote for Wild Goose Blue Ridge Subliminator Dopplebock as the new official beer, both because it's great and because "subliminable" has recent history in the White House...

Obama Beer recipe:

Mix up tap water, yeast, and sugar. Bottle it. Put a fancy lable on it, and tell everyone it's the greatest beer ever..........then hope it changes into something drinkable in the next 4 years.

Obama Beer recipe:

Mix up tap water, yeast, and sugar. Bottle it. Put a fancy lable on it, and tell everyone it's the greatest beer ever..........then hope it changes into something drinkable in the next 4 years.

Full of WIN :mug:

Obama Beer recipe:

You forgot a healthy dose of de-husked Carafa I balanced by Kansas wheat malt, some exotic Indonesian spices and an addition of Hawaiian pineapples to the secondary. Turn the whole thing into an Imperial Ale, slightly overcarbonate to produce a gusher. End result will be an acquired taste that will have to age for a year or two to produce good results.

At least he's drinking it out of a glass and not a plastic cup. Haven't seen any pictures of him smoking lately, though.

The woman on the left could have a porter or a stout, and the body-less arm on the right is definitely some sort of wheat beer. Any researchers on HBT know if any former prezzes were homebrewers? Probably back in the Jefferson, Adams era. Everyone made all there own stuff back then. Abigail Adams used to hang her own laundry in one of the rooms in the White House, so it's not a far stretch to think of old J.A. mashing his own grains in the hop garden, now called the rose garden.

George Washington was a distiller he produced over 10k gallons in one year I believe, saw it on the history channel.

John Adams was a hard cider man brewed his own cider, and if I recall produced applejack as well. that is from an old cider book I read.

Being 5 minutes from the nations capital I brewed "A Brew you can Believe In" on inauguration weekend. It was a nice 14 degrees. I uploaded my beer logo into an obamicon website which turned it into the red/white/blue image that tons of Obama t-shirts were printed in. Pretty sweet if I say so myself.

Obama Beer recipe:

Too funny! Make sure you use over a trillion yeast cells in your starter and have a fermentable wort otherwise you will just waste your money on this one.:drunk:

I brewed a DFH India Brown clone with some Nugget hops on President's Day. Was gonna call it Big Brown Nugget, but my brother wants me to call it Big Brown President.

Brooklyn had a beer called Hop Obama. Discontinued.

wow, lotta whiners.

capitol city does indeed brew on premises, as does the district chophouse (although neither bottles). i've never been blown away by either, but cap city's pale rider and chophouse's american amber are both good beers.

my favorite brewery close to the city has got to be flying dog in frederick (moved from denver a year or so ago). their canis major series (kerberos, gonzo porter, double dog and horn dog) are all great, imo.

as for brewing presidents, i'd definitely recommend checking out washington's distillery if you're ever in the nation's capital.

Obama Beer recipe:

LOL! They'd be calling it the greatest beer ever before it was even brewed.

Although I don't agree with a lot of his views, it's hard not to like a beer lovin' Pres!

This thread is years old. But lets take a look.

1. The original Op was posted on 03-06-2009.
  2. On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, lowering taxes on 95% of all Americans.
  3. The President is obviously at some type of event. Events like that are not the known for craft beer.
  4. The President brews his own beer (or at least has the White House Chefs do it), he is on record as a craft brew drinker, and loves home brew.
  5. Finally, he is the President of the USA, and as President of the USA, you get certain perks, a house , a driver and a chef, I'm good with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back