Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowfisher

Reaction score
I want to do my first Oatmeal Stout, I need some opinions on who has the best extract kit for this. I usually use Northern Brewer but they don't offer one in an extract kit, Midwest Supply, Brewers Best, Austin Homebrew Supply and Hop Tech Homebrew Supply all have one. Give me some advice on which one to get!

I want to do my first Oatmeal Stout, I need some opinions on who has the best extract kit for this. I usually use Northern Brewer but they don't offer one in an extract kit, Midwest Supply, Brewers Best, Austin Homebrew Supply and Hop Tech Homebrew Supply all have one. Give me some advice on which one to get!

Totally a fan of brewers best oatmeal stout. Gets rave reviews from my friends too.

Thanks for the replies! My closest homebrew store is an hour and a half away but I think I'll make a trip this weekend and get that Brewers Best kit. I really like the idea of adding oatmeal to a regular stout kit also! I love Northern Brewers Chocolate Milk Stout, how much oatmeal should I use for a 5 gallon kit?

You could toast about 1/2 lb of "quick oats" for about 45 minutes to an hour in the oven at 325 F and then use them as part of your steeping grains. This should work well.

Midwest Supplies Oatmeal Stout is about as forgiving an extract kit as you can do. Turns out pretty darn terrific.

You could toast about 1/2 lb of "quick oats" for about 45 minutes to an hour in the oven at 325 F and then use them as part of your steeping grains. This should work well.

Will this still yield the pleasant creamy oatmeal flavor that one normally looks for in this style of beer? I have been wanting to do an extract oatmeal stout for a while now and I particularly like creamy oatmeal stouts. I am especially partial to Schlafly's oatmeal stout.

Correct me if I am wrong but to make an oatmeal stout you would have to do either a partial mash or biab because oats need the enzymes from a base malt to get any good from the quick oats

Correct me if I am wrong but to make an oatmeal stout you would have to do either a partial mash or biab because oats need the enzymes from a base malt to get any good from the quick oats

That is the impression that I always got and that's why I haven't tried this one yet.

I have MoreBeer's Oatmeal Stout Minimash in a fermenter right now. I can't say for sure what the finished product will be like, but I was pretty happy with the kit ingredients. The instructions were a little confucing for my first minimash, but I think it went pretty well.

Also used the grains to make dog biscuits, which turned out to be a big hit.

I used boomchugalug (aka. Jasper's) Oatmeal Stout extract kit and couldn't tell the difference between it and Samuel Smith's in a taste test. That was force carbonated w/ a Tap-A-Draft. The dextrose primed bottled versions weren't as good.

PS. Love the Jasper's bottle labels. Shameless plug, but I'm not paid to do it. I'm just limited on who will ship to me.

A few years ago I used Northern Brewers Dry Irish Stout extract kit. I steeped about a pound of oats at 160 for an hour. I threw a vanilla bean in during secondary and it turned into one of the best beers I've ever brewed.

I usually use Northern Brewer but they don't offer one in an extract kit, ...

Look in the partial mash section for Northern Brewer. They have an oatmeal stout and Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat, which is an oatmeal milk stout (with lactose). I've made the Buffalo Sweat and liked it a lot.

Will this still yield the pleasant creamy oatmeal flavor that one normally looks for in this style of beer? I have been wanting to do an extract oatmeal stout for a while now and I particularly like creamy oatmeal stouts. I am especially partial to Schlafly's oatmeal stout.

If you want to make Schlafy's oatmeal stout, go for a clone recipe instead of using a kit.
I found an all grain clone recipe that was in percentages, I did my best to turn it into an extract mini-mash recipe. I'm an all grain brewer and have only recently experimented with a mini-mash extract brew, so this I'm not sure how this will turn out, but it should get you in the ballpark.

5.5 gallons

OG: 1.046 Final Gravity: 1.011 ABV: 4.51% SRM: 36.92

6.6 lbs LME dark
.7 lb flaked oats
.45 lb crystal 60
.45 lb roasted barley
.25 lb de husked Carafa III (added for color, you could use black patent?)

Here's an email from Schafley's about this stout:
>The recipe is almost on the bottle. We take our Oatmeal Stout (plenty of recipes online and elsewhere, just use one you like) and add good locally roasted >coffee using the cold toddy method of extraction. I've seen cold toddy makers online, which essentially follows a process of mixing the grounds with cold >water and allowing it to steep for a few days, then using the resulting cold coffee without the grounds. You can experiment with different levels to achieve >the balance you enjoy; we've played with a variety of levels to give the customers what they prefer.
>
>Hope this helps, happy brewing.
>
>Regards,
>Stephen Hale,
>Schlafly Tap Room

I also didn't include hops or yeast, perhaps their hops are on the bottle as well? You could try WL 002 english ale yeast or someone may have a better suggestion. Good luck with the brew! Cheers!!!

Back