Oatmeal Stout with 1099

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Kemp

Not really Amy.....
Reaction score
Im going to be brewing an oatmeal stout (OG 1.059)later today. I'm not familar with 1099 Whitebread yeast.

Im looking for a good fermentation temerature schedule. I was thinking something like this:
Pitch at 65 and hold for 3 days
Increase to 68 over 4-5 days
Increase to 72 over the next 3-5 days
That would be 10-13 days total, should be fully attenuated, then follow by cold crashing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That schedule is fine, although not really necessary with that yeast. It should be done fermenting by day 4 and a few days longer for a D rest is typically sufficient. I pitch at 62-64F, free rise to 68F and give it a few days at that temp for D rest, before cooling by day 10 or so. Off yeast by day 12-14.

One thing with that yeast is to not underpitch (gets very fruity and slightly tart) and oxygenate well. It makes very nice beer when treated well.

That schedule is fine, although not really necessary with that yeast. It should be done fermenting by day 4 and a few days longer for a D rest is typically sufficient. I pitch at 62-64F, free rise to 68F and give it a few days at that temp for D rest, before cooling by day 10 or so. Off yeast by day 12-14.

One thing with that yeast is to not underpitch (gets very fruity and slightly tart) and oxygenate well. It makes very nice beer when treated well.

So what your saying is make a starter? The "smack-pack" says 100 billion cells, but there's so much controversy in regards to whether you or not you need to make a starter off them.

Yes, you should almost always use a starter. Here's why: for that gravity you'll want to pitch no less than 7.25 million cells/ml. Based on a 0.5 m/cell/ml/P pitch rate. So total cells needed is 150 billion. Smack packs generally contain less than 100 billion live cells - I've seen as low as 400 million - so you'll be short of your total cells without a starter. I'd make a 2000 ml starter. Hope that helps.

Yes, you should almost always use a starter. Here's why: for that gravity you'll want to pitch no less than 7.25 million cells/ml. Based on a 0.5 m/cell/ml/P pitch rate. So total cells needed is 150 billion. Smack packs generally contain less than 100 billion live cells - I've seen as low as 400 million - so you'll be short of your total cells without a starter. I'd make a 2000 ml starter. Hope that helps.
I dont have any DME handy. Would it be reasonable to take 2L of the wort and make a starter with it, pitch it in 24-36 hrs?

I dont have any DME handy. Would it be reasonable to take 2L of the wort and make a starter with it, pitch it in 24-36 hrs?
I know this is 10 days ago. What did you decide upon?

This may be for the record, but let's think it through for a next time, or someone else encountering the dilemma.
You could do as you suggested, as long as the pack has a decent initial viability (not too old and not mishandled).

What you plan(ned) to do is sort of a hybrid, between a vitality starter (4-8 hour before pitching) and a regular starter (2 days or longer before pitching).

If the pack has low viability, a starter needs at least 2 days to grow enough cells. I've had times it needed 7 days ("old" yeast, poor viability), sometimes a step up, or 2.

With larger starters, a cold crash at the end is often recommended if you have the time, an additional 2-7 days. Decanting then, gets rid of the oxidized starter beer on top.

Mind, her name is "Whitbread." ;)

So I pulled off 2 L of wort, 1.058 and added the smack pack to it. I pitched the starter into 65F at around 30 hrs.

65 x 2 days
67x2 days
69 since.

Checked SG on day 4 and it was at 1.018 which was pretty Much right where the recipe said it would finish at.

Today is day 9, I plan on checking Gravity tomorrow prior to the planned cold crash at day 10.

Back