oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thbstwthn

Reaction score
Hello,

This is the recipe i'll be using for oatmeal stout:

6 lbs. amber, dry malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt, 60° Lovibond
1.5 lb. American six-row pale ale malt
18 oz. oatmeal (quick)
0.5 lb. chocolate malt
0.5 lb. roasted barley
1/2 tsp. Irish moss, for 15 min.
2 oz. Fuggles hop pellets (4.2% alpha acid), for 45 min.
Wyeast 1084, Irish ale yeast

Question is... what would happen taste wise if i replaced the amber with a dark dme instead?...thanks!!!

Stouts get their color from the dark malt and use pale malt. I would use pale DME if I were you and not bother with the amber and dark. Especially since you're adding crystal and thus unfermentables.

I know Irish Ale yeast is the standard for stouts, but another (cheap) option is Safbrew S-33, wich is a dry yeast. It doesn't get a good rap since the description of it is ludicrous (Fermentis describes it as a Belgian yeast while all signs point to it being a British Edme strain) and it isn't widely used. I have used it in an oatmeal stout and while keeping it in the low 60's it developped a very nice dark fruit and red wine complexion both in aroma and flavour. It also doesn't attenuate like crazy, so it has a good, chewy maltiness/sweetness to it without being cloying in the least. And the beer is still green.

But apart from that, I wouldn't think you could go wrong with that recipe

Back