Oatmeal Stout recipe critique, and feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhythmSection

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm working on my first oatmeal stout recipe. It's loosely based on Oatis by Ninkasi brewing co. Not a clone, just loosely based. Any feedback on ingredients would be greatly appreciated, as I know there are lots of brewing gurus on hbt. I'm looking for a nice roasty stout(no dark fruits, just nice coffee or chocolate notes), with a nice full body and nice creamy mouthfeel. So, on to the recipe...

Aiming for 6 gallons post boil
90 minute boil

7 lbs Marris Otter
6 lbs 2 row pale
1 lb UK chocolate
1 lb Crystal 60
.75 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Black Patent
1.5 lb Flaked Oats

Thinking of mashing around 155 F for body
1.5 oz Nugget, 75 min.

I'm also up for suggestions for yeast. I've heard that Ninkasi uses 1968, so I was considering going with that, but any suggestions for a good stout yeast would be great. My thanks ahead of time for any feedback

Cheers!

I am drinkling an oatmeal stout right now I made with safeale S-04 yeast and love it.

Do you have a recipe for that one you would like to share or maybe one in general? I put together and posted a possible milk oatmeal stout and I am hoping to get help with. Haven't decided if I am going to make it an "either or" or just do it as one. I've also been curious as to what other brewers are doing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ag-extract-help-308922/

Rhythm, my suggestion is to maybe bump up to a .25lb on each barley and maybe doing 1oz, 1.25, or 1.5oz of hops as planned and maybe doing the other .5oz near, maybe 5 or 10 minutes, the end. Also, I don't mean to be treading on your topic, Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back