Oatmeal Stout; Please provide critique & feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quese5784

Reaction score
Hint: Copy & Paste this entire email to your favorite spreadsheet
Basic Information
Batch Name: Oatmeal stout
Brewed By:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Initial Boil Volume: 5.4 gal
Mash Method: All Grain
Brew Date: 10/3/13
My Rating: 0/10

Typical Style Characteristics
Style: Oatmeal Stout
O.G. 1.048 - 1.065
F.G. 1.010 - 1.018
ABV 4.2 - 5.9
IBU 25 - 40
SRM 22 - 40°L
Color

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G. 1.064 (72% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G. 1.018 (72% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G. 0.000 (0% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G. 0.000 (0% Actual Attenuation)
ABV 6.3%
IBU 28.1
SRM 37.2°L
Color

Malt Bill
Malt Name Weight PPG SRM Type
2-Row Malt - 1.75°L 16.00 lbs 1.038 1.80 Mashed Grain
Oats, Flaked 2.50 lbs 1.037 1.00 Mashed Grain
Munich Malt - 20L 2.00 lbs 1.035 20.00 Mashed Grain
Roasted Barley 1.00 lbs 1.025 300.00 Mashed Grain
Black Malt - 500°L 1.00 lbs 1.025 500.00 Mashed Grain
Wheat Malt, White - 3°L 1.00 lbs 1.037 3.00 Mashed Grain
Chocolate, Pale– 215°L 1.00 lbs 1.034 215.00 Mashed Grain

Mash Rest Profile
Rest Temperature Time Type Details
Saccharification (Full Body) 156°F 60 min Initial Strike Mash-in with 14.9 qts of water at 156°F
Batch Sparge with -297 batches of -0.09 qts water at 170°F

Hop Bill
Hop Name Time Added Weight AA% Type
Fuggle (U.S.) 60 min 3.00 oz 4.8% Pellet Hop
East Kent Goldings 30 min 3.00 oz 4.8% Pellet Hop
Fuggle (U.S.) 15 min 2.00 oz 4.8% Pellet Hop

Yeast Details
Yeast Strand Quantity Attenuation Flocculation
WY1450 Wyeast Denny's Favorite 50 75 Low

Dates
10/3/13 Brew Date

Yooper said:
This is a 10 gallon batch, but you're only boiling 5 gallons? Are you topping up with water and diluting the wort? I don't understand.

No, just wanted to see if the grain bill and hops are ok.

I am not a fan of using a lot of black malts (black patent malt).

Are you looking to dull the sweetness? 6 to 8 oz will do for 10 gallons.

But if you love the taste of the black malt then the grain bill looks great.

Yea looking to dull the sweetness a bit. I'll keep your suggestion in mind on brew day. Thanks for help guys!

amount of black malt is a pretty personal thing. i find that heavy quantities strike me as burnt, savory and even soy sauce-like. in a small amount, though, it adds a really nice and mysterious depth to the roasted flavors in porters and some stouts.

i've also heard mixed things about the 20L munich so please let us know what you think of it.

I find this waaaaaay too complicated.

The best Oatmeal Stouts I've ever tasted were basically Pale/Oats/Roasted Barley in the classic Guinness proportions: 70/20/10%. The truly stellar ones used Fawcett's Oat Malt instead of flaked oats. The Oat Malt is noticeably different than flaked oats. It is also easier to lauter, though it requires resetting the mill to get a good grind (it's a much narrower corn than barley).

I also think hops flavor/aroma are out of place in the style. This is especially true if you're going to insist on that uber-complicated grist - let the spectrum of roasted-malt characteristics shine!

Also, note that any Stout should have its most noticeable bitterness coming from the roasted grains, not hops. This is especially true in Dry Irish Stout, but the principle holds in other non-RIS styles.

On the whole, KISS is best. ;) Most brewers who go from complicated recipes to KISS are pleasantly surprised, and find how outstanding and tasty simple recipes can be. In this recipe, let the name stick out - make the oats the star of the show. Dial back the complicated grist and remove the late hops additions to let the silky-smooth, oily chewiness of the oats take center stage. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

I tend to agree with Bob in general with the caveat that I would add in a pound or so of flaked unmalted barley depending on your batch size.

So far as hops, my oatmeal stout has a 60 minute addition of northern brewer and thats it.

Back