Oatmeal Apricot IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my first ever custom recipe I've developed. This is the first time it's been brewed and honestly it's so good I don't really think I would tweak it much if at all! My dad is a huge Pyramid Apricot fan and I brewed this for his birthday. I'm not a big wheat fan so I wanted to combine my favorite style with his favorite fruit! I brewed this BIAB, milled with my corona set up which gets me at 75% effeciency.
Feel free to give feedback, especially if you brew it. So far all my beer enthusiasts that tried it really like it.

“Oye vAy!” IPA (Oatmeal Apricot IPA)

5.5 Gal
IBU 50.38
SRM 10.18
OG 1.074
FG 1.014
US-05 double pitched

10 lb 2 row
1lb C60
2lb Vienna
2lb Flaked/malted Oatmeal

0.75oz Centennial 60min
1oz Centennial 10min
1oz Citra 10min
2oz Citra 0min
1.5oz Centennial Dry Hop
1.5oz Citra Dry Hop

Added 3lb Vitners Harvest Apricot purée 1 wk into fermentation.

Added Apricot flavoring to keg, to taste. Started with 1oz...ended up putting 3oz in. Was hard picking up the taste due to the hops, but now that carbed up, the Apricot really comes through nicely. Depending on taste, I would say could have gotten away with 2oz but this will vary to your palette.

image.jpg

Beautiful beer!

I picked up 3# of apricot purée as well that I plan on adding to half of a saison I just brewed yesterday. My plan is to split half of the batch into a 3 gallon carboy with all of the purée. I'm hoping this will keep me from having to use any additional flavoring.

Beautiful beer!

I picked up 3# of apricot purée as well that I plan on adding to half of a saison I just brewed yesterday. My plan is to split half of the batch into a 3 gallon carboy with all of the purée. I'm hoping this will keep me from having to use any additional flavoring.

yeah, you might be good on that depending on how much of the apricot taste you want to come through. Good thing with Apricot is it has a pretty high level of "sour" to it, so it really would blend well with a Saison. I would say my recipe almost has a "farmhouse" taste to it even though the yeast was a typical west coast style.

Latest posts

Back