Oat Cream IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
So I am wanting to make an Oat Cream IPA for my wife. She loves the Other Half ones shes had. I did some research and saw where one of the founders said they use up to 30% and more at times of oats in their mash. I started building a recipe in Beersmith and I do notice some things I'm not sure about but wanted to get some others opions.

8 lb Pale Malt 2 Row
2.5 lb Flaked Oats
2.5 Malted Oats
2 lb White Wheat Malt
.5 lb Carapils
1.5 lb Rice Hulls
1 lb Lactose
.75 oz Galaxy and .75 oz Vic Secret - 30 min whirlpool
Kviking A44 yeast
3 oz Galaxy and 3 oz Vic Secret dry hop day 3 for 5 days before kegging

Thanks for any thoughts and input

I started building a recipe in Beersmith and I do notice some things I'm not sure about but wanted to get some others opions.

I've never had the beer(s) you referred to, but what is it that you noticed in Beersmith that you're not sure about?

I've never had the beer(s) you referred to, but what is it that you noticed in Beersmith that you're not sure about?
Sorry, nothing wrong in Beersmith. I was more saying I'm not sure about something. Mainly the amount of oats to 2 row. Obviously with price increases on ingredients this is not going to be a cheap beer to make. So I didn't want to mess it up if someone sees an issue with the grain bill or has experience making one of these and can pass on any pointers.

Why the wheat? It’s probably not going to make a difference either with body or head retention; you’ve got too much oat for those to be anything but thick and poor, respectively. (I mean, wheat is great and I put it in everything, so I see where you’re coming from.)

I’d also nix the Carapils. But I always say that.

Why the wheat? It’s probably not going to make a difference either with body or head retention; you’ve got too much oat for those to be anything but thick and poor, respectively. (I mean, wheat is great and I put it in everything, so I see where you’re coming from.)

I’d also nix the Carapils. But I always say that.
Yeah that's the other thing I was curious about when putting this together. But I've already ordered all the grains so we will see what happens. If this turns out decent I may make it again without the wheat and see the difference.

Always add carapils so it's just habit.

Yours looks pretty similar to my attempt a few years ago, I just added vanilla to make it more of a milkshake IPA. It got a gold medal in a local competition and I really enjoyed it. More of a lucious, full bodied NEIPA than some of the overly thick milkshake IPA's I've had.

I would just be worried about Galaxy and Vic Secret being too intense, I get hop burn that takes a while to die down with those hops. I decided to go classic Citra Mosaic since, like you said, its an expensive beer, and I know that combo is a slam dunk even if its common.

12 lb 2 row
3 lb Malted oats
3 lb Flaked oats
0.5 Wheat
0.7 lb Lactose

0.3 oz Warrior 60 min (12 IBU)
2 oz Citra whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic Lupomax whirlpool
2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Mosaic dry hop #1
2 oz Citra Lupomax dry hop #2

1 vanilla bean secondary

Imperial Juice gen

O.G. = 1.071
F.G. = 1017
ABV = 7.1%

Yours looks pretty similar to my attempt a few years ago, I just added vanilla to make it more of a milkshake IPA. It got a gold medal in a local competition and I really enjoyed it. More of a lucious, full bodied NEIPA than some of the overly thick milkshake IPA's I've had.

I would just be worried about Galaxy and Vic Secret being too intense, I get hop burn that takes a while to die down with those hops. I decided to go classic Citra Mosaic since, like you said, its an expensive beer, and I know that combo is a slam dunk even if its common.

12 lb 2 row
3 lb Malted oats
3 lb Flaked oats
0.5 Wheat
0.7 lb Lactose

0.3 oz Warrior 60 min (12 IBU)
2 oz Citra whirlpool
2 oz Mosaic Lupomax whirlpool
2 oz Citra dry hop #1
2 oz Mosaic dry hop #1
2 oz Citra Lupomax dry hop #2

1 vanilla bean secondary

Imperial Juice gen

O.G. = 1.071
F.G. = 1017
ABV = 7.1%
Awesome, thanks. I thought about a touch of vanilla but figured I'd save that for batch 2 with changes I make. Didn't want the vanilla to cover up anything that wasn't right.

Also after I posted that, I did scale back the other two hops and added a small amount of citra. Mainly in the whirlpool.

I would think more rice hulls with 7# of oats and wheat...
I bought 1.5 pounds. Store put one pound in one bag a half a pound in the other. Of course on brew day, I only pulled the one pound bag out and completely forgot the other bag lol. But did not have one issue with just one pound of rice hulls. I think the malted oats helped with the flaked and the wheat.

Back