Oaking American Barleywine in Corny Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an American Barleywine 1.11 OG (1.022 FG = 11.55% ABV) that I'm contemplating aging for a few months on oak cubes.

I brew 10g at a time, so one keg I am dry hopping immediately and serving young (like a malty triple IPA). The second keg, I'd like to age (in the keg) on oak cubes for at least 3 months then dry hop and serve after aging. I plan to "cellar" age at a constant 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'd prefer to "set it and forget it" for a few months rather than having to constantly tasting it. My understanding is that oak cubes take longer to absorb so its harder to overdo it with them. If need by I'll hook up a picnic tap and taste every few weeks. But I strongly prefer the lazy route if possible.

I'd like to pull subtle vanilla and coconut flavors from the oak. Not interested in a strong bourbon flavor, but a subtle one is ok.

A few questions:

1) I've read that new oak has tannins in it. Would it make sense to soak in bourbon then simply discard the bourbon before adding? I don't want strong bourbon flavor, but subtle is ok.

2) How much oak cubes & how long (at 55 degrees F) per 5g corny keg. I don't want to risk overdoing it.

3) What kind of oak and toast level?

Following. I’ll be brewing a barley wine in exactly two months and have considered parking it. Care to share your recipe?

I have no experience with cubes. But my oak chips i did blanch with boiling water a couple times first, the color was dark brown when pouring off. I was worried about no oak flavor being left but soaked them anyway in whiskey for a couple months and it has a nice oaky flavor that's not over the top. Plan to add to a Porter soon.
You could always soak in vodka or bourbon and add the liquid to the keg at increments and taste as you go so it's not too over powering.

Following. I’ll be brewing a barley wine in exactly two months and have considered parking it. Care to share your recipe?

Here's a recipe for the last one I made. This won 2nd place at NYCHG Homebrew Alley a few years ago. The only minor critique I got is that it could have been a touch maltier.

The new beer that I'm making is called "Good Influence" (a.k.a. secretly badder influence). Its going to be a hoppier and stronger version of this with a bit more malt character. I'll post that recipe after its finalized

This is for a 10g batch, so you would want to cut the amounts in half. Also, my efficiency was pretty low on this. I used DME to boost gravity.

I tend to mash high at 156, but my mash tun is not insulated. I would probably mash at 152 if your mash tun is insulated or you have a pump.

Bad Influence - Brahley Wine
star0.jpg

All Grain Recipe

Brewer: Brahery
Batch Size: 11.00 gal Style: American Barleywine (19C)
Boil Size: 17.25 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 17.1 SRM
Bitterness: 127.1 IBUs Boil Time: 160 min
OG: 1.100 (23.7° P)
FG: 1.019 SG (7.7° P)
ABV: 10.6%
Efficiency: 60%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 1
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3
30 lbs Golden Promise (3.0 SRM) Grain 4
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 6
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 8
12.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9
8.00 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 10
8.00 oz Black Printz (add at mash out) (500.0 SRM) Grain 11
1.50 oz Apollo [17.0%] - First Wort Hops 12
1.50 oz Chinook [13.0%] - First Wort Hops 13
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - First Wort Hops 14
1.50 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - First Wort Hops 15
9 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 16
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Boil 120 min) Misc 17
0.50 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 120 min) Misc 18
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10 min) Misc 19
1.00 oz Apollo [17.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 20
1.00 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 21
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 22
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 23
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Misc 24
2.00 oz Apollo [17.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 25
2.00 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 26
2.00 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.5%] - Boil 0 min Hops 27
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min Hops 28
5 pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast 29
1.00 oz Apollo [17.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days Hops 30
1.00 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days Hops 31
1.00 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.5%] - Dry Hop 3 days Hops 32
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days Hops 33

Notes
Hydrate yeast. Ferment at 60 degrees for first few days. Raise to 70 after initial ferment. Let sit in primary 3 weeks. Dry hops for 3 days at packaging.

Add black prinz malt at mash out for color only

I ended up yielding 4 gallons per each keg and hit 12% ABV.

One keg I dry hopped and served right away.

For the stashed keg I'm currently aging I added 1.5oz medium toast American Oak CUBES. I soaked the oak in a small mason jar with bourbon, dumped the bourbon and added only the oak to the keg. Keg was purged with CO2 after adding oak prior to adding beer. I took a sample after aging for 5 weeks and the oak was very subtle. I'm gonna let it go another month or two and sample again. Didn't pick up much bourbon flavor though I'm not going for much of that. I'm planning to dry hop before serving after the oak flavor develops more.

Last edited:

For the stashed keg I'm currently aging I added 1.5oz medium toast American Oak. I soaked the oak in a small mason jar with bourbon, dumped the bourbon and added only the oak to the keg. Keg was purged with CO2 after adding oak prior to adding beer. I took a sample after aging for 5 weeks and the oak was very subtle. I'm gonna let it go another month or two and sample again. Didn't pick up much bourbon flavor though I'm not going for much of that. I'm planning to dry hop before serving after the oak flavor develops more.
Dumped bourbon?

You misspelled *drank

Overall best process, integrated how long you'll soak on oak before you ferry your flavor. I did an Imperial stout with 3oz for 9 days and it was smooth and mellow

For the stashed keg I'm currently aging I added 1.5oz medium toast American Oak CUBES. I soaked the oak in a small mason jar with bourbon, discarded the bourbon and added only the oak to the keg. Keg was purged with CO2 after adding oak prior to adding beer. I took a sample after aging for 5 weeks and the oak was very subtle. I'm gonna let it go another month or two and sample again. Didn't pick up much bourbon flavor though I'm not going for much of that. I'm planning to dry hop before serving after the oak flavor develops more.

Just tasted the oaked batch today and it was perfect. Nice smooth vanilla and light caramel flavors (reminiscent of a macallan scotch). The oak flavor is not dominant, but very present and balanced.

Am not getting any noticeable bourbon character (which is ok with me). I think if I wanted bourbon character I would just need to add some bourbon directly.

Deciding not to dry hop this one as I think the beer is perfect as it stands.

Total duration was 10 weeks on the oak cubes. I'm sticking this bad boy in the keezer to carb and will sample again in two weeks. I'll report back then

Update: After two more weeks in keezer (still on the oak) I bottled it off today.

Surprisingly it was much oakier than two weeks ago even thought it was chilled. The oak is no longer subtle. Kinda tastes like an Innis & Gunn with strong vanilla and bread pudding burnt sugar notes. Oak is now the dominant flavor and although still pleasant is a little more oak flavor than I was shooting for (Still no bourbon flavor, just oak). Next time I'll probably go 8 weeks vs. 10 weeks before sticking in the keezer.

Hoping this fades a bit. Total oak was 1.5oz American Cubes medium toast in roughly 3.5 gallons yield.

Update: After two more weeks in keezer (still on the oak) I bottled it off today.

Surprisingly it was much oakier than two weeks ago even thought it was chilled. The oak is no longer subtle. Kinda tastes like an Innis & Gunn with strong vanilla and bread pudding burnt sugar notes. Oak is now the dominant flavor and although still pleasant is a little more oak flavor than I was shooting for (Still no bourbon flavor, just oak). Next time I'll probably go 8 weeks vs. 10 weeks before sticking in the keezer.

Hoping this fades a bit. Total oak was 1.5oz American Cubes medium toast in roughly 3.5 gallons yield.

Can I ask why you kept the oak in the keg once transfered to the kegerator?

Can I ask why you kept the oak in the keg once transfered to the kegerator?

One less transfer = Easier and reduced risk of oxidation prior to bottling.

I've got a clear beer draught system with a 300 micron screen which floats and draws the beer from the top.

Basically, I let it carb up in the keezer for two weeks on the oak then bottled off with a Blichman bottling gun. If I wasn't bottling right away I would have transferred off the oak into a serving keg.

Next time, I might just burst carb at a high PSI rather than letting it sit for 2 extra weeks. Either that or keg it a little earlier. Who knows though this might taste perfect after a few more weeks of aging in bottles. I'll report back

Last edited:
Update: Tasted today and the oak flavor has mellowed slightly. The balance of oak to the base style feels perfect now!

I think tasting at a colder temperature when I bottled threw me off. At warmer temps, the hops and other flavors from base style are much more apparent anf the oak is less prominent.

Extremely happy with how harmoniously the oak flavor is blended. Vanilla and caramel notes from oak are in the forefront with hop bitterness and piney hop flavor balancing it out.

Latest posts

Back