Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel84

Reaction score
What is the best way to prepare oak chilps for aging

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I was told boil in water for about 10 minutes to remove the harshest tannins, remove from water, then use.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A quick rinse to take care any dust. Toss in a nylon sock and add to the wine. The reason for the sock is so you can take out the chips when you have enough oak flavor. Easier then racking it.
I'm not a fan of oaking, so take my advise with a grain of salt! I've used oak chips just a very few times.

Oak chip impart all of their oak within 2 or so days, so it is smart to start with an ounce or two to begin with, taste the wine after 2-3 days and decide if you need more, oak chips are best used in the fermenter, the active yeast metabolizes and buffers the oak. much like a barrel ferment. For aging, I use oak cubes\beans or oak infusion spirals as well, they release the oak much slower, the spirals take about 6 weeks to release it all and the cubes can take 5-6 months giving you more control over the level of oak that you desire.

Oak chip impart all of their oak within 2 or so days, so it is smart to start with an ounce or two to begin with, taste the wine after 2-3 days and decide if you need more, oak chips are best used in the fermenter, the active yeast metabolizes and buffers the oak. much like a barrel ferment. For aging, I use oak cubes\beans or oak infusion spirals as well, they release the oak much slower, the spirals take about 6 weeks to release it all and the cubes can take 5-6 months giving you more control over the level of oak that you desire.

I just moved my wine to secondary fermentation is it ok to add the oak chips for 5days and rack it again? Wont it interupt the fermentation process?

Adding oak to the secondary will not interrupt fermentation at all, by secondary fermentation, do you mean Malolactic fermentation? If so, it will actually be even better, during fermentation, the oak really becomes one with the wine, you will be happy with the results, if using chips, I'd start with an ounce or two to start, you can always add more, and a general rule for oak is to let the oak get to the point where it is just past the point that you enjoy it, it will dissipate a bit during bulk aging.

I do not want malolactic fermentation cause i dont lnow what it is. Talking about it what is different fromregular wine. So, is it best to add the oak chips in primary fermentation if i want a normal table wine.

Samuel84, what type of wine are you making? Is this a kit wine? Kit wines are never put through MLF. Normally, red wine from grapes are put through MLF for a number of reasons, many winemakers will call this "secondary fermentation", I'd be more than happy to explain it a bit more in detail.

Some wines, like my blackberry wine, are great oaked in the carboy and don't undergo MLF. So I'm thinking we're not talking about the same thing.

Anyway, oaking is a great way to provide depth of flavor and some tannins. Some oaks have a light toast, and have a definitely "vanilla" flavor to it, while a medium oak may provide a deeper more complex tannic profile that is great in dark red wines.

Chips give up their "oakiness" quickly, so for me it's better to use less and then taste in a week and see where I'm at. You can always add more, or leave it for longer, but you can't take it out.

You're done oaking with then wine has just a tiny bit too much oak flavor. That will age out, and be perfect with a bit of time.

Not to hijack thread....
I want to add some oak chips to my wine. Do I HAVE to buy the ones from my local wine supply or can I use the same american white oak chips I use in my smoker? Oak is oak right?

To add character to the wine, you would normally use oak with various levels of toast to them depending on the style and your preference. I'd go with oak from the LHBS.

Not to hijack thread....
I want to add some oak chips to my wine. Do I HAVE to buy the ones from my local wine supply or can I use the same american white oak chips I use in my smoker? Oak is oak right?

I do the opposite. I buy my oak at supply store and then add to my smoker after sitting in the wine.

While it is technically all "wood", you have no idea what has been added to the oak that is meant to go into the smoker and whether or not it is safe for your wine to soak it up!

YMMV!

:fro:

I just moved my wine to secondary fermentation is it ok to add the oak chips for 5days and rack it again? Wont it interupt the fermentation process?

Yes. You can add them now. Fermentaion will be fine.

By secanday fermentaion I assume you mean right after you racked it off of the fruit or yeast for the first time. Tecknicaly it is still on its first fermentaion. Its just done with the bulk of it and is finnishing up. That may be the confution people are having. You are not doing a secondary fermentaion, like a MFL. Just a plain old wine.

Yes. You can add them now. Fermentaion will be fine.

By secanday fermentaion I assume you mean right after you racked it off of the fruit or yeast for the first time. Tecknicaly it is still on its first fermentaion. Its just done with the bulk of it and is finnishing up. That may be the confution people are having. You are not doing a secondary fermentaion, like a MFL. Just a plain old wine.

Yes by secondary i meant that. So when is it better to add the oak chips (it started fermenting 5 days ago; its now in demijohn) should i wait fir fermentation to slow down or is it better to add them now?

Yes by secondary i meant that. So when is it better to add the oak chips (it started fermenting 5 days ago; its now in demijohn) should i wait fir fermentation to slow down or is it better to add them now?

Wait until the wine is done fermenting, and no longer dropping much (if any) lees, as you don't want the oak covered with yeast and other lees.

Once the wine is finished, and clear, and no longer dropping lees, you can rack onto the oak in a new vessel.

Yes by secondary i meant that. Its been 5 days since fermentation started and the fruit has been removed. Is it better to add the chips now or should i wait until fermentation slows down?

Back