Oak chips timing effect on flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiccoStar

Reaction score
After a few different experiments / brews I can say that personally the more time sitting in cubes or oak chips, my brew finishes with less oak flavor.

Does anyone else have the same experience ?

Seems most sources online claim more time with chips = more oak flavor, but I’ve had complete opposite experience.

My oak brews have always contained Brett which certainly can make a difference. It still stays with an oak essence, but it becomes more “blended” with the other flavors. A lot of times “normal” people don’t even notice the oak until I mention it.

Just wanted to rant and have someone tell me I’m not crazy. Lol

You didn’t share details like how much oak or for how long you have tried in the past. I have used between 1-2 oz of toasted oak cubes in a 5 gal batch with 5-10 days in a secondary and been very happy with the results. I find more than 2 oz to begins to be overpowering even for big beers. I usually soak them in bourbon for a few days to a week before adding which gives additional flavor. I would agree that a lot of the aroma you notice initially fades away and becomes more subtle after time.

You didn’t share details like how much oak or for how long you have tried in the past. I have used between 1-2 oz of toasted oak cubes in a 5 gal batch with 5-10 days in a secondary and been very happy with the results. I find more than 2 oz to begins to be overpowering even for big beers. I usually soak them in bourbon for a few days to a week before adding which gives additional flavor. I would agree that a lot of the aroma you notice initially fades away and becomes more subtle after time.

Sorry about that. I’ve always used 3 oz of chips/ cubes. Per 5 gallons

Earliest I’ve tried was 5 days after oak. Very prominent oak/ wood flavor. The longest was about 1.5/2 years with French oak that I soaked in Cognac. At 2 months in it tasted wonderful, after a year and a half it lost all cognac and oak notes... (was a sour beer, hence the long age).

i have a braggot right now sitting on oak. Same experience. Strong oak flavor in the beginning, but now fading/blending with flavors with time (about 2 months in now).

Back