O-ring fell in beer :0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarayny

Reaction score
Hi guys, needless to say this was my first batch ever. I was putting the hydrometer into the lid and the o-ring fell into the wort!!!! I sanitized my hands and reached in and got it, should I just through the beer out?? I did how ever have the o-ring sanitized before it fell in.

Great forum, guess I can chock this one up to experience, although I have a feeling there will be more

Your arm introduced far more possible contaminates than the oring, but in any case do not toss out the beer man! It should be fine, let your mind be at peace.

sugarayny said:
Hi guys, needless to say this was my first batch ever. I was putting the hydrometer into the lid and the o-ring fell into the wort!!!! I sanitized my hands and reached in and got it, should I just through the beer out?? I did how ever have the o-ring sanitized before it fell in.

What possible reason did you have for putting a hydrometer into the lid...of your ferementor?

:drunk:

Did you mean airlock?

;)

And, yeah, go ahead and "through" it out, just don't throw it out. Sit tight through the process.

Next time....Just dont jam the Airlock into the hole, be a little more gentle like its your SWMBO and just screw it in with light pressure!:D :mug:

I did the same exact thing on Saturday, but was afraid of getting hair/arm hair in the brew. So I re-poured as much of the beer back into the stock kettle as I could then fished the o-ring out of the bottom of the fermentation bucket with a spoon. I was afraid this might be a bit too much mixing with the batch (Northern Brewer’s Fat Tire Clone), but things are bubbling along nicely.

This was after I had my first boil over. Not a nice mess on an electric stove. Live and learn.

I keep spares of almost everything I could possibly need, so if I dropped an o ring into my brew, I would just leave it there and use another one. I sanitise that grommet as well as everything else i am going to touch, so I wouldn't worry a bit about leaving it at the bottom of the bucket until the wort was finished fermenting

I did the same thing when I brewed my current batch 2 weeks ago. I just left it in (I had sanitized it, so hey!) and retrieved it last night when I siphoned to the secondary.

Maybe an odd thread to introduce myself in, but my brother and I just brewed an IPA about a week and a half ago. It was his second and my first batch. Anyways, we did the same thing with pushing the o-ring through. We just put a layer or two of electrical tape around the stem of of the airlock and sanitized it. We then twisted the airlock into the lid, and the everything stayed airtight until we bottled, and obviously retrieved the o-ring.

Well, I think my very first post on HBT was the same thing- "Help I pushed the grommet into the beer!" The beer came out fine, as did the many, many batches since then! I bought an additional $.35 grommet, and it never happened again. Just a little word of advice- put the airlock on the lid, and then put the lid on the fermenter! Also, those little carboy bungs, if they are wet, will slip right in the carboy. They are much tougher to get out then in!

I think all of us who posted the same issue as our first posting here should be in an exclusive brewer's club! :mug:

hasen't everybody done this? seriously the first time i did it i freaked. but there was no getting around it i needed that grommet. soaped up the arm - washed er down real good and went in after it...no wrries on the beer - it was fine.

You will be fine. My first batch I did the same thing and just pushed the air lock down all the way and used electrical tape to keep it down. I am drinking this batch now and it is perfect. Don't worry all will be fine. I learned to just forget about it as I was told when I posted the same question on here.

Latest posts

Back