O.G / F.G. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardbeach

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch this week-end. Although I didn't see much bubbling through the airlock, the room smelled like baking bread when I came down in the morning so something must be happening. My O.G. was 1.110 before pitching the yeast. I'm brewing a belgian dark ale. When I check the specific gravity after a week, where should it be? I'm planning on using a secondary fermenter for an additional 2 weeks.

It should depend on the attenuation rate of the yeast. If the yeast you used attenuates at 75%, then I believe your FG should be around 1.027. The yeast packet should state the rate, or I'm sure you could find it on the web. I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong or if my numbers are off.

By the way, that's going to be a strong one!

Deleted my original post, I think I must have smoked some crack this morning or something... head's not where it should be. Hophazard has the right answer.

OG 1.110? Holy hell, that's huge. I hope you either made a big starter or at least pitched a few packets/vials of yeast.

I realized I short-handed the calculation above. In case you don't have beersmith (or similar program), you can figure out what your FG should be by multiplying the gravity (110 for yours) by the attentuation rate of the yeast (75% in my example) and subtracting the result from your OG (110-82.5=27.5 or a specific final gravity of 1.027).

1.110!?!?!? Good lord, that's high OG. If you have never made a high gravity beer before, let alone any beer, you will be lucky to get to 1.027 or anything near it. Are you sure you measured correctly? What was the recipe and the yeast strain used?

This MUST be a double post because I KNOW I replied to this one already...or....am I in the Twilight Zone???:drunk:

IMO, there's NO WAY your brew could ferment down from 111 in a few days.

My last reply asked you if you had taken a proper reading...plus that I made a mead at 114 with over 13 lbs of honey.

Sorry for the double post. Anyway, I looked at my hydrometer and oops, I posted the balling number (whatever that is), not the SG number. My OG was 1.040. Does this sound more realistic?

most definitely. 1040, you should be fine. I started a continental pilsner that had an OG of 1.050, and I'm looking for a light, but packing an alright punch ale. Fermentation (with German ale yeast*liquid*) enough for airlock activity happened between 12 and 14 hours. It's been going nice so far. The constant temp is 78-81*F which I know is high, but that's all I have right now.

You should be just fine. enjoy!

Back