Nylon Stockings and Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
I read in a brewing book a cheap technique for using hops sacks in the boil. He suggested buying some cheap nylon stockings that are not dyed and make your own hops sacks. Any of you guys do this?

FYI non dyed nylon is white and may be hard to find in the stocking form! Nylon bags online/LHBS are usually only a few dollars and will last longer than a stocking and you can rest assured they will not have potentially toxic/gross/chem dyes in them!

Yep.. but they work. After being washed any number of times before being tossed should remove anything. I'd expect that soap residue, for instance, left on our utensils and plates are toxic. It coats the glass enough to prevent good head in beer. All the plastics and formaldehyde in our homes is more toxic than what might be left in clean hose. YMMV.

I get white nylon knee highs from walmart - 3 pairs for $1. They come in plastic capsules like the trinkets in a bubblegum machine. I use them for pellet hops in the boil and for dry hopping in the keg. Go for the Queen size.

I just started using the wife's old stocking as well. You can get a couple of bags out of each leg if there aren't any runs!

paint strainer bags are a good alternative and the material is a bit more durable. I use mine in the boil, hose them out after, let dry the brush off remaining hop material; then reuse.

Back