"Nutella" Stout - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasted great. Nothing overpowering, really nice balance, and pretty damned delicious, if I do say so myself! I'll post an update once I taste the finished, carbed product. But I don't think it will really be ready until mid-October or so. Even so, it's already terrific!

This may sound kinda crazy, but I don't think nutella has any preservatives http://www.nutellausa.com/ingredients.htm, so why not just add a jar at the last 5 minutes of the boil?

Lol, I know that's really thinking outside of the box!

(Sorry to revive this old thread but I was just eating a Nutella-banana sandwich for lunch, thought of making a stout/porter with Nutella, then searched to find this thread!)

This.

Would there really be any problem with using a 13oz container of Nutella in a stout?

Ideally it would be nice to retain some of the cocoa-hazelnut flavor but have the yeast dry it out a bit - any ideas for the best yeast to use for this?

Would the best time to add the Nutella be right at the end of the boil?

(Sorry to revive this old thread but I was just eating a Nutella-banana sandwich for lunch, thought of making a stout/porter with Nutella, then searched to find this thread!)

This.

Would there really be any problem with using a 13oz container of Nutella in a stout?

Ideally it would be nice to retain some of the cocoa-hazelnut flavor but have the yeast dry it out a bit - any ideas for the best yeast to use for this?

Would the best time to add the Nutella be right at the end of the boil?

The issue is the fat. Fat kills head formation, fat goes rancid etc... You can certainly give it a shot, some people have good luck adding chocolate bars with 10-15 minutes left in the boil, but more often than not people report issues with appearance and flavor.

Hey Mahanoy. Any chance you've tried this yet? Just did a search on this very beer and this showed up. Very interested in the outcome.

I just cracked one yesterday to see how it's developing. The chocolate is starting to come through a bit more, as is the hazelnut. I wanted more chocolate and hazelnut and it's not quite there yet, but it's still a really nice brew. When I do it again I think I'll do more hazelnut and add more cacao nibs to the secondary to see where that takes me.

Oh man...Ok I know I'm 3 years too late on this thread, but I was just thinking about trying something like this. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I decided to see if it's been done already. If the OP is still on the forum, would you mind chatting with me about it? Or anyone else who's tried since?

I tried making toasted hazelnut extract last year for a vanilla-brown ale. Toasted up 1.5lbs of hazelnuts in the oven, boiled them for 5 minutes, strained out the nuts, and cooled the liquid. The liquid had a very good flavor and I was able to separate out the fats by cooling in my fridge. I added the "extract" to my primary and to my dismay, the fermentation killed nearly all of the flavor. Should have added it to the secondary or just prior to boiling. $15 of hazelnuts down wasted! On the other hand, I threw in two vanilla beans at flameout and the flavor carried through quite nicely to the finished beer.

You wouldn't want to add Nutella directly to a fermentation because there is A LOT of fat, much more than in cocoa powder. I suspect this would kill any head retention and perhaps alter yeast metabolism, potentially resulting in interesting off-flavors.

Back