Nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawman1y

Reaction score
My first batch of nit brown ale is ready to bottle and i need to know how much priming sugar i should use for 6 gallons any help would be great thanks
Sent from my MB855 using Home Brew mobile app

There are calculators online, but the easy rule of thumb is 0.75-1.0oz/gallon. That's gallons of beer IN YOUR FERMENTER, not what the recipe was supposed to be.

I have 6 gallons in fermenter and i only have 5oz of priming sugar you think that will be enough or should get more

depends on how much co2 is already in the beer . I like mine carbed lightly . 1/2 ounce to the gallon is light . 1 ounce is going to be heavy if you have plenty of co2 already in it .
For a brown I say 1.5 to 2.0 volumes per liter . so if your beer is 70 degrees then you have approximately 1.0 volumes of co2 in it already . 68 degrees about .9 volumes .
I t takes 4 grams of sugar to make 1 volume of co2 in 1 liter of beer.
6 gallons I will just call 23.0 liters . actually 22.7..

Priming sugar = volumes to add ( you have 1.0 and want 1.5 you need .50 ) X 4 (grams of sugar ) X volume of beer ( 23 liters ) .
.50 X 4 = 2.0 X 23 liters = 46 grams of sugar about 1.6 ounces I think , to add in to make 1.5 volumes of co2 which is good for a nut brown . Browns should be lightly carbed according to my expert brown ale taste buds .

1 ounce ( by volume not weight in a measuring cup ) table sugar weighs 32 grams
1 TBSP weighs 14.5 grams
1 TSP weighs 4.75 grams

If you add 1.5 to 2.0 ounces by volume or weight you should get a nice beer . I used to use 5/8 cup or 1 ounce to gallon and always came out over carbed after a while in the bottle . 5 oz in my opinion is way over carbed for any dark beer.

Thanks for all the help i ended up using 3.5 oz of priming sugar can't wait until its done i have mostly made wine and cider this is only my second batch of beer

Quick question how much haed space should you leave in bottles

Quick question how much haed space should you leave in bottles

I fill mine with a bottle wand of course and I fill it till it is about half way up the neck . this makes it come out to the same amount that is in a commercial beer bottle . Just look at any long neck beer and see how much is in it .
since homebrew has air in the bottle and commercial beers do not if you are storing for a long time you may want a little less head space . But I think you will drink it up in plenty of time

Thanks thats pretty much what i did but i justed wanted to ask im still pretty new at making beer

Back