Nut Brown AG Please Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockybottom

Reaction score
I am planning this for tomorrow any suggestion or comments welcome:

Size: 5.02 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 160.27 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.048 (1.040 - 1.052)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 18.6 (12.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 4.74% (4.2% - 5.4%)
Bitterness: 21.18 (20.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
7.5 lbs American 2-row
0.25 lbs Special B - Caramel malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs Biscuit Malt (Mout Roost 50)
0.35 lbs Special Roast Malt
0.25 lbs Oats Flaked
1.0 oz Glacier (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Hallertau Select (1.5%) - added during boil, boiled 3.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1028 London Ale

Elevation: 5400 ft

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29

Sounds like a solid candidate. Efficiency estimate is high, but I don't know your system. With that grain bill, it may be a little bready, but there is nothing wrong with that!

chillHayze said:
With that grain bill, it may be a little bready, but there is nothing wrong with that!

I agree, I think it will be too much actually.

I'd back off to 1/4 lb. of each of those adjuncts if you feel like you really want them in the recipe.

Personally I'd make a decision on either the special B or the special roast and drop one of them, but that is just me.

Dude said:
I agree, I think it will be too much actually.

I'd back off to 1/4 lb. of each of those adjuncts if you feel like you really want them in the recipe.

Personally I'd make a decision on either the special B or the special roast and drop one of them, but that is just me.

I agree cut out the Special B and it'd be perfect.

Rockybottom said:
You are correct on the fly, I don't use it much anymore but I used to love tying them. I am mostly a PMD, rusty spinner guy.

I remember tying that pattern when I was small, with my Dad.

So, you were slave labor too... I can't wait until my boys get a little older, I should never have to buy a fly again...

Here a view to my backyard, I can't wait until the snow melts..

PICT0288.JPG

PICT0281.JPG

I agree on the Royal Coachman... they are nice to look at, and fun to tie, but not much for those that like to actually CATCH fish...

Rockybottom said:
So, you were slave labor too... I can't wait until my boys get a little older, I should never have to buy a fly again...

Here a view to my backyard, I can't wait until the snow melts..

PICT0288.JPG

PICT0281.JPG

I dunno, can one hijack one's own thread? :D

You have too many geese (or are they ducks, can't tell from the pic). They need to go into the freezer.

zoebisch01 said:
I dunno, can one hijack one's own thread? :D

You have too many geese (or are they ducks, can't tell from the pic). They need to go into the freezer.

There are Canadian, Swan, Bufflehead.

Here is the best photo i could find quickly, from last year, this year was bad :(

Last year was a good year, these are Mallards and a few wigeons,

PICT0242.JPG

I don't hunt them near the house (15 minute trip to my blind), they are great to look at!!!

If you want to use 2 specialties, maybe try to use a dark crystal (say 120 or so) instead? I have made a few NB ag and used that combination (120 and special roast) and it turned out great.

avidhomebrewer said:
If you want to use 2 specialties, maybe try to use a dark crystal (say 120 or so) instead? I have made a few NB ag and used that combination (120 and special roast) and it turned out great.

So, just so I understand, use either the special b or special malt and the dark crystal in lieu of the other?

chillHayze said:
Sounds like a solid candidate. Efficiency estimate is high, but I don't know your system.

You are correct I got about 77% this time. I have not done many AG so I am still getting my average together. I have been pleasantly surprised at my efficiency so far.

From my NB following that recipe, they turned out great. Nice nutty flavor, aroma, all-around excellent. My advice would be to use the Special Roast and the crystal, but I may be a bit biased seeing that is what works for me!

Avid

Just a question here I am still learning:

I thought Special B was a "type" of crystal. Or are you suggesting a different crystal? lighter or darker?

All these specialty grains are confusing.

Back